Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 11:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Slightly OT, but there is another thing that comes into play. I remember Nikhil posting somewhere that the insurance company refused a claim because his customer changed his tubed tires to tubeless ones. Technically, it was a modification which was not authenticated by the insurance company before hand so legally they had a case.

Could a similar situation arise because of alloys ?
Old 16th October 2009, 11:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Slightly OT, but there is another thing that comes into play. I remember Nikhil posting somewhere that the insurance company refused a claim because his customer changed his tubed tires to tubeless ones. Technically, it was a modification which was not authenticated by the insurance company before hand so legally they had a case.

Yup. I remember that! Gave us all nightmares. That was one big fiasco. The worst part is that technically, legally, that guy may have a point. No reasoning skills used.

The manual states "tubetype tyres" but he was running tubeless of the same size so insurance is gone! That was a Ford Ikon, btw. Dont know which insurer.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

When I was talking to my dealer (FORD), same thing he also said i.e if something happened due to one changing tyres/rims etc which is the cause for repairs or replacement of any spares then the company/insurance company will just wash their hands.
As regards to alloys - consider you buy from outside to save some money, then incase you need to replace one wheel, then it is not possible from the market as they always sell a set of alloys and not one piece? is it correct. However the dealer said that the car company will give even single alloy (provided you bought all the alloys from them)?
Thanks
Old 16th October 2009, 13:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Bit shoddy customer service dont you think from the Dealer. Now that he knows that you are a prospective alloy customer, he will never give you right information.

I think you need to talk to the company directly about their policy.

Insurance fiasco is a nightmare, I never considered the fact. All till date, I had been replacing the tires at the time of delivery and none of the companies, Tata, Maruti, Honda said anything to me. Even the insurance was done after I signed the necessary paperwork. Maybe I can use that against the insurer if they void my claim. This is unjust.

Is there any forum that we can approach to voice our concerns on this malpractice. Not consumer forums but Ministry or Auto authority?

Teambhp should voice our concerns on this issue of having no options for shoes for our cars.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you ask, you'll always hear a NO. After all, a generic YES from them could lead to someone fitting 245 width tyres on 17 inch wheels and still trying to claim warranty. They couldn't care enough about the 1% of enthusiasts who want to upgrade alloys / tyres, to release a recommended list of upsizes now, could they?
Of course, if you want to take the safest route out, upgrade to better tyres & alloys but retain the factory size.
That;s the plan. Stick to stock tyres, change only the alloys. No upsizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Now THIS is seriously worrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I think you need to talk to the company directly about their policy.
In my first post, I've mentioned the response from Hyundai tech Support, Western India itself. Not some dealer's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Teambhp should voice our concerns on this issue of having no options for shoes for our cars.
...especially when the ANHC's and Verna's we so love are severely undertyred and more unsafe than on wider rubber.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just came to mind. I remember them telling me when I had wanted to fit aftermarket alloys that the vehicle has been wind tunnel tested with the OE rims and changing the rims was not advisable. Offset must be.
Old 16th October 2009, 17:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

@flyingspur
You seems correct - Stick to Stock Tyres, change only the Alloys.
This way, I feel, no worry about Warranty/Insurance.( I am still waiting for some reply from my dealer). Whatever may be his reply, I prefer only to change Alloys, as presently I am comfortable with stock tyres. If required, at later stage, will think about changing/upgrading the tyres.
Thanks
Old 16th October 2009, 17:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember them telling me when I had wanted to fit aftermarket alloys that the vehicle has been wind tunnel tested with the OE rims

Wind tunnel tested? Perhaps just to get the cD value. Nothing else.
Please do tell us which manufacturer told you this.
Old 16th October 2009, 17:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Wind tunnel tested? Perhaps just to get the cD value. Nothing else.
Please do tell us which manufacturer told you this.
Mahindra, the vehicle in question was my Xylo. I did not believe them either and he told me to get the OE rims from him rather than opting for aftermarket wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks