Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 10:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does alloy wheel change void the warranty on a new car?

I'd like some help in this regard, folks. For my i20, I'm planning to go for the 5 year / 100,000km warranty, which is about 15k extra. Either ways, even if I dont opt for it, I have the standard 2 year warranty on the car.

The stock rims are 14" and stock tyres are tubeless Apollo Acelere 185/65 R14 AFAIK. Now I'm planning to keep the stock tyres and change just the rims to another 14" design, because I hate the stock alloys I'm getting with the Asta. I spoke to Hyundai West region technical support over the phone a couple of days, and highlighted all the facts, that I'm sticking with the stock tyres and only changing the rims, sticking to the same size and not upszing etc. Still they claim that the warranty on suspension, tyres and steering will be voided. It's only if I purchase "approved" rims from dealerships or Hyundai will my warranty stay valid.

Sounds like a scam to me. Dealers charge like crazy for alloy wheels. Any help you guys could offer in this regard? Has anyone had their warranty honoured even after changing alloys?

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:57   #2
BHPian

That's because the showroom guys want to book good margins on their alloys stock. I've been using Plati alloys in my Accent and no Hyundai dealer has objected to it on the grounds that it'll null my warranty.

You talked to the technical support person, right? Did you talk to the showroom people? What did they say?
Old 15th October 2009, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

flyingspur. I was told the same when I had wanted to fix aftermarket alloys for my Xylo.

I dont know how far this is true. Maybe others can help.
Old 15th October 2009, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

How about Swift , we cahanged teh stock wheel rims to HRS alloys with the same tyres (JK) , but we never thought of the warranty factor , oops !!

Now what will happen ?
Old 15th October 2009, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

warranty will be void for the suspension for upgrades. quite logical i guess.
Old 15th October 2009, 11:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are ready to pay 15k extra for the extended warranty, wont it make sense to pay a few thousand more to buy alloys from the showroom itself?

I know it is unfair, but until and unless someone takes the company to court, there is nothing you can do. It is the company policy and if you dont agree with it, no one is forcing you to buy the car.
Old 15th October 2009, 12:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Well as all of you have all rightly said that eventhough some of you have changed/upgraded to after market alloys, no showroom has brought out the topic of voiding suspension warranty and they never will until you have a suspension issue and decide to have the same repaired under warranty. That is the time they immediately blame the after market alloys fitted whether they are as per specifications of the manufacturer or not.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2009, 12:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If you are ready to pay 15k extra for the extended warranty, wont it make sense to pay a few thousand more to buy alloys from the showroom itself?

I know it is unfair, but until and unless someone takes the company to court, there is nothing you can do. It is the company policy and if you dont agree with it, no one is forcing you to buy the car.
Even he buys from showroom will Hyundai gives in written that warranty will not be void. I doubt
Old 15th October 2009, 12:34   #9
BHPian

IMO - Suspension related warranty claims are rarely honored as it falls under regular "wear and tear".

If you have room to store the stock alloys then just go for the new ones from wherever you please and hang on to the stock alloys. Fit back the stock ones if you ever have a problem with the suspension and need to go claim warranty.
Old 15th October 2009, 13:12   #10
BANNED

Any changes in car during warranty period will be not allowed by any manufacturer and changes made during warranty, company will have upper hand if there is serious malfunction in the car.
Old 15th October 2009, 13:51   #11
BHPian

Not the warranty on the entire car - but only on the parts/systems which are impacted - i.e. - suspension in this case... this is what the maruti's policy is - it might be different for Hyundai... But A.S.S is the final authority to take a call on this.
Old 15th October 2009, 15:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
You talked to the technical support person, right? Did you talk to the showroom people? What did they say?
Showrooms are useless. They'll try to sell me their own stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Now what will happen?
Somehow, I liked the sound of that *gulp*

Quote:
One, because their range on offer is rubbish. Two, because it's ridiculously overpriced. Almost double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Even he buys from showroom will Hyundai gives in written that warranty will not be void. I doubt
Zactly. They wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
IMO - Suspension related warranty claims are rarely honored as it falls under regular "wear and tear".

If you have room to store the stock alloys then just go for the new ones from wherever you please and hang on to the stock alloys. Fit back the stock ones if you ever have a problem with the suspension and need to go claim warranty.
Getting a good deal on the old rims. Can't keep swapping every time I need service !!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th October 2009 at 15:18.
Old 15th October 2009, 15:20   #13
BANNED

Quote:
I do not see if the rim size is the same, offset is the same, and tyres of the same size are used why should it affect the warranty. I agree that no dealership in my knowledge raises a fuss on this. But then there can always be a first time.....

As for extended warranty it only covers the drive train, so unless you are a high mileage driver it if often not worth it.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As for extended warranty it only covers the drive train, so unless you are a high mileage driver it if often not worth it.
This is a 5 year / 100,000 km comprehensive warranty. Other extended warranty options from Hyundai include a 3 year / 4 year drivetrain-only warranty.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:57   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you ask, you'll always hear a NO. After all, a generic YES from them could lead to someone fitting 245 width tyres on 17 inch wheels and still trying to claim warranty. They couldn't care enough about the 1% of enthusiasts who want to upgrade alloys / tyres, to release a recommended list of upsizes now, could they?

I've upsized alloys & tyres on nearly all of my cars and have never had one single rejection on warranty claims (including the Maruti Esteem way back in '96 or the C220 in '05). At the end of the day, these companies do care about keeping you happy. And unless it is obvious that damage has been caused by the upsized wheels, they won't get unreasonable.

Of course, if you want to take the safest route out, upgrade to better tyres & alloys but retain the factory size.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks