Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 10:43   #211
Team-BHP Support

Congrats. Looks very nice on a black car.

BTW, the apollo tyres site has listed the advantages of Alloys.

Apollo Tyres Ltd. :: Products & Services :: Passenger Car :: Range :: Alloy Wheels

They got nice alloys too.

Apollo Tyres Ltd. :: Products & Services :: Passenger Car :: Range :: Alloy Wheels
Old 19th April 2007, 17:04   #212
rks
BANNED

Update: Good handling in heavy rain

On Monday, April 16, I was returning to Pune from Mumbai, this time in the evening. Around 6-15 PM I was approaching the inlet toll gate of the Expressway near Khopoli and ran into a heavy dust storm. It was incredible, with extremely strong winds and almost zero visibility, and a lot of junk was blown on to the Expressway (leaves, twigs, dirt, etc.). This was followed by heavy lightning and rain as I passed through the Lonawala ghats and this persisted all the way to Pune. Apparently I had the honor of catching the first pre-monsoon showers of this year. The car handled very well despite the fact that I had a slow puncture in the front right tyre; see the following post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post417078

There is definitely much better grip with the 5" alloys. There was some weaving due to the heavy crosswinds, but nothing very alarming. My front right tyre must have been at about 25 psi as compared to the 35 psi in the other tyres; this may have been a contributing factor, but overall the car handled much better than with the 4" wheels.

The other experience I had was of an emergency braking on my forward trip to Mumbai on April 11; this was on the narrow bridge just prior to the Lonawala ghats on the Expressway, where a lorry suddenly cut to the right lane due to a broken down vehicle on the left. The car braked very well, and held its line (whereas with the 4" wheels I found that the car had a tendency to pull to the left upon such heavy braking).

Finally I found something strange upon examining the markings on the inside of my spare wheel; these markings read:

6J262A

I got the shock of my life as I was wondering if I had ended up with 6J alloys. The figure of 26 matches the offset of my alloys; dont know what the "2A" is supposed to mean. It turned out that the *total* width of my alloy wheel is 6 inches, as I confirmed by direct measurement. But the Neo Star alloy wheels are actualy 5J X 13" (as given on the Neowheels web site and also as marked on the cardboard box in which the wheel was stored in the tyre shop). The width of the region between the points where the tyre is actually mounted is 5 inches. I have confirmed that 5J is indeed the correct specification for my wheel; so I am unable to explain the markings -- maybe it is just a number that identifies this particular wheel (?).
Old 20th April 2007, 14:13   #213
elf
BANNED

Watch out, rks. With 35psi in your tyres, your car might float away in a heavy dust storm. It seems that only your slow puncture saved you.

No, scratch that. Your on-board Cray ECM in the Santro sensed the high-pressure sandstorm and corrected it by creating a climatic low pressure zone elsewhere on the planet. MAN, that ECM's good!

Last edited by elf : 20th April 2007 at 14:14.
Old 20th April 2007, 14:25   #214
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Watch out, rks. With 35psi in your tyres, your car might float away in a heavy dust storm. It seems that only your slow puncture saved you.
Actually I plan to reduce my tyre pressures to 32 psi for the monsoon season. This time I didn't have a clue that it would rain, since the weather was hot and dry in Mumbai when I started out (apparently it never rained in Mumbai). But it is definitley bad to have 25 psi in one tyre and 35 psi in the rest. As for the ECM, yeah, my car seems to have a mind of its own and seems to come to my rescue whenever I am in trouble.

Last edited by rks : 20th April 2007 at 14:28.
Old 25th April 2007, 13:49   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
got new ones (correct offset) for my xing.
sorry for the ignorant question... whats the correct offset for santro xing....
Old 25th April 2007, 17:59   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_ms View Post
sorry for the ignorant question... whats the correct offset for santro xing....
38 and 40 .............
Old 22nd June 2007, 20:39   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats. Looks very nice on a black car.

BTW, the apollo tyres site has listed the advantages of Alloys.

They got nice alloys too.

Hi Samurai!

Thanks for pointing to the Apollo website. But didn't find any 13" x 5J alloys listed here. Would any of the listed ones be suitable for the Santro Xing?

CarZest[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=#000000]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 1st September 2007, 08:55   #218
BHPian

Suggestions for tubleless tyres and alloys for Santro

i want to put tubless and nice looking alloys for my Santro, pls advise.

i want the alloy size to be 13

pls post pic of your selection for me Gurus

Mod's Note: Please take a few minutes to get acquainted with the various sections of the board. Take care to post in the correct sections only. Carry out a search to find a relevant thread to post, rather than opening a new thread.

Post migrated to a proper thread.
Old 1st September 2007, 23:40   #219
BHPian

My 2002 Santro Zip Plus LS will soon be celebrating its 5th birthday & has clocked almost 60K km on OEM wheels & tyres. I want to go for 165/65R13 tyres & alloy wheels & have a few questions.
What is the PCD & offset of the OEM wheels?
Should I choose tubeless tyres or not?
Which are good brands (Indian or imported) of alloys?
Can someone recommend a few good shops in Kolkata selling alloys?
Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:08   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
What is the PCD & offset of the OEM wheels?
Should I choose tubeless tyres or not?
PCD - 100
Offset - 38
Yes, you should go in for the tubeless.
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:10   #221
Senior - BHPian

PCD is 100. Not sure about the offset... you could hunt around a bit in this part of the forum.

I have 165/65 R13 on my Santro with Aura alloys. I'm very happy with the tyres. Using Goodyear Eagle GA Plus tubeless radials. Definitely recommended over the tubed variety (I had the OE size tubed tyres on my old Santro).

Rims - these are your choices in Cal. Any other brands, you have to get from elsewhere, which can be a pain...
Aura, Neo, Plati, League, Apollo, BSA (limited choice)

Me and most of the other guys have been getting the wheels+tyres from Indo Radial Club (Minku's shop). Another option is Vikas Agency near Landsdowne.

If you need any more details, gimme a call.
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:26   #222
BHPian

Thanks kpzen & razor4077.
@razor4077 - Both the shops are fairly conveniently located. In fact Vikas is just a minutes walk from the office. Will drop in soon & then call you for some expert advice.
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:40   #223
Senior - BHPian

Not very sure whether Vikas stocks alloys in his shop.
Old 5th September 2007, 21:34   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Not very sure whether Vikas stocks alloys in his shop.
You are right. They don't. But they claim they can get them in a couple of hours from Aura.
Is it true that imported alloys are not available to Santro specifications?
Old 11th October 2007, 12:49   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
PCD - 100
Offset - 38
Yes, you should go in for the tubeless.
Hi friends

I am new to this tyre reading and stuff
can some body please explain me what is PCD & offset.
I have recently upgraded my santro with 165/65/R13 ER60 Bridgstone Tubeless tyers.
is PCD & offset some thing that i need to look at.. of what is all about guys...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks