Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:24   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
Maybe something on the lines of the Fiat Adventure, if i may recall correctly.
Now what tyres did that car have ?
That car had all-terrain spec Pirelli's which are otherwise not available in India.
Old 23rd October 2007, 16:35   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I also suspect this. My alloys also have a lower wheel offset of 26 mm as compared to 46 mm stock and that may be another reason for the added strain on suspension/steering components.
I am not well versed with technicalities involved with offsets and all but practically I felt the loss of suspension components more often due to wider track tyres straining the suspension system.

Quote:
And I am told that the Expressway concrete just eats up the tyres when the speeds exceed 130 kmph, and hard cornering and braking on the Expressway are no-nos if you want tyre life.
I have done most of my mileage on the expressway too. Don't know about hard cornering but braking is a MUST on the expressway, tyre life is not as precious as human life.

Quote:
I was told by my tyre shop that there is no hope of getting Bridgestone to honour warranty. So this is indeed interesting. The alignment was proper in my tyres too and the wear was even. I never used the tyre after it developed the bulge (except to drive it home and then to Hyundai service). I think the risk of a tyre burst is too high and the car's handling was noticeably bad at speeds in excess of 80 kmph.
Time to change your tyre shop sir if your tyres had a life time warranty (My Potenza's did). The Bridgestone office is in Mittal court opposite Mahesh Lunch home in the lane that goes to Rasta Peth (Shantai hotel).

Quote:
That is a risk, but it happens rarely. Was your tyre under-inflated by any chance? Then chances of blowout and tyre/wheel damage are higher. But in my view the benefits far outweigh the risks as far as tubeless tyres are concerned.
I use a tyre pressure gauge provided by Bridgestone and I used to maintain 30 psi always.

Quote:
Of course. I don't take my friend's words literally. I just wanted to convey his good impressions.
Agreed and they need not be expert impressions. He might have just got super excited at those speeds to make those statements.

Quote:
He was highly impressed with the way my car tracked dead straight and cut lanes with ease at high speeds. He said that his (stock) Xing was much more shaky at higher speeds. He says the Getz on stock tyres does not inspire the same confidence and makes a lot of tyre noise. But then again, I don't take everything he said literally, for obviously he is not an expert. As for pickup, I think that is due to the non-stock setup in my Santro (higher tyre pressures, lighter alloys, tubeless tyres, Speed 97 all contributing their bits) and my friend could see the ease with which I could overtake on the crowded Sion-Panvel highway and Pune bypass road.
I would say you weigh the stock Santro rims against your alloys with your choice of tyres at the desired tyre pressure. I can assure you that the stock rims of the Santro are lighter.

Quote:
I do that occasionally to see if my car is tracking straight (basically to also see if all my tyres in good shape and holding air).
It is a big deal at 145 kmph. Experiments at 80-100 kmph yields the same result.
Old 23rd October 2007, 17:05   #258
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I have done most of my mileage on the expressway too. Don't know about hard cornering but braking is a MUST on the expressway, tyre life is not as precious as human life.
Of course. What I meant was that if one drives more slowly and cautiously, then the need to brake hard is minimized. Now I am very particular about slowing down well in advance when in doubt, to avoid hard braking. But if you are interested in zipping through with minimum loss of time, then occasionally you have to brake hard. That happened to me a few times with the S322 tyres.

Quote:
Time to change your tyre shop sir if your tyres had a life time warranty (My Potenza's did). The Bridgestone office is in Mittal court opposite Mahesh Lunch home in the lane that goes to Rasta Peth (Shantai hotel).
Thanks. I took the S322 tyres from Unitread tyres in East Street and they are supposedly authorized Bridgestone dealers.

Quote:
I would say you weigh the stock Santro rims against your alloys with your choice of tyres at the desired tyre pressure. I can assure you that the stock rims of the Santro are lighter.
Possible. Maybe the higher width of the alloys (5J) as against 4J stock makes a difference to the pickup considering that I am using stock-size tyres in both cases. My steering feels just about same as with stock wheels.

Last edited by rks : 23rd October 2007 at 17:07.
Old 25th October 2007, 09:46   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
i though 165/65/R13 Bridgestone Potenza GIII are not availabe at all
only 160/60 were???
Old 13th December 2007, 11:00   #260

Tyres for Santro Xing XP?

Hi,

I have no clue whatsoever on which tyres to buy for my Santro Xing XP 2005 model. Which tyre- with tube or tubeless and what specification will be the best ? Also which brand? I travel daily from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon 135kms both sides. I also get chances where I can speed upto 120km/hr

Please suggest and help me out.

Thanks!
Shruti
Old 13th December 2007, 12:23   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrutiprakash View Post
Hi,

I have no clue whatsoever on which tyres to buy for my Santro Xing XP 2005 model. Which tyre- with tube or tubeless and what specification will be the best ? Also which brand? I travel daily from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon 135kms both sides. I also get chances where I can speed upto 120km/hr

Thanks!
Shruti
Would suggest 165/65/13 tubeless tyres.
I have Goodyear Eagle GA Plus tyres of this size fitted on my Xing, and am very happy with them. They are comfortable and the ride is very stable even at high speeds (recently did 160+ without a hiccup).
Upsizing stock tyres to this size is the single best (and simplest) upgrade you can make to your Santro's handling and stability.

Other members have used Yokohama, Michelin and Bridgestone tyres of a similar size and are satisfied with them. Go through this section for feedback on those.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:45   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrutiprakash View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Shruti
165/65-13 is the best upsize for Santro.
These are the best tyres available in 165/65-13 :
1. Michelin XM1 - Rs 2400 per tyre
2. Yokohama A drive - Rs 2300 per tyre.
3. Apollo Acelere
Old 13th December 2007, 12:48   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
165/65-13 is the best upsize for Santro.
These are the best tyres available in 165/65-13 :
1. Michelin XM1 - Rs 2400 per tyre
2. Yokohama A drive - Rs 2300 per tyre.
3. Apollo Acelere

Would recommend Potenza GIII too. Awesome if you are looking at performance.Costs 3000Rs/tyre though.
Old 13th December 2007, 15:16   #264
Senior - BHPian

Jk
GIIIs don't come in 165/65-13.
Old 13th December 2007, 20:04   #265
aZa
Senior - BHPian

GIII's in 175/60/13 are Rs 2700 i think in delhi! But.... Michelin XM1 in 165/65/13 is a very good choice.

Kp how are the turanzas compared to XM1 ?
Old 13th December 2007, 21:05   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Kp how are the turanzas compared to XM1 ?
XM1 is better than Turanza for normal city and highway cruising.
Turanzas are very good for bad roads with its swollen sidewall with steel belt..

Are u still having the GIIIs??
Old 14th December 2007, 11:09   #267

Thanks a lot to everyone for the suggestions! Thanks so much!

Shruti
Old 14th December 2007, 12:19   #268

Is it advisable to use stock tube type tyres of xing with alloys, i am planning to get alloys, but since i am getting almost nothing for old tyres, i want to use them with alloys until they are worn out and then upgrade to better one.
I am running S322 and almost 25 k done.
Experts pls advise on this.
Old 14th December 2007, 16:26   #269
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Are u still having the GIIIs??
yeah but its time to change as the tread depth is very less now. GIII's lasted for quite long infact 50K to be precise.
Old 17th March 2008, 01:00   #270

How to check whether alloys which dealer is offering are genuine ones or not. I just bought a set of four Neo ICE 13 CP for my santro, the dealer gave me only a bill. I havent got any warranty card.The alloys have some No stamped but neo mark is not stamped, only plastic covers has neo written on them. Those who bought Neo Alloys in Delhi can throw some light on this.

Most Viewed