Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2008, 15:25   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ok, next time you have a flat in the Safari & need a spare, inflate your ex-Santro's tyre & make it into a 16"
Haahahahahahaha ROFL
Old 29th March 2008, 20:54   #287
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Jk
Its for the 99 model Santro not Xing. I dont think putting 175/60-13 would be a good idea.
I agree. In fact I wouldn't recommend any tyre upsize for old Santro. 5J alloys with stock size (155/70-13) gives excellent grip, great improvement in handling and braking. I am now using Turanza ER-60 and have done about 12000 kms so far with tyres heavily over-inflated. Don't care much about ride comfort, as I am driving alone most of the time.

This time on the way to Mumbai at about 10 PM, I checked out the car's performance on the long, winding sloping stretch prior to the exit toll gate at Khalapur (warning: extremely dangerous curving stretch, notorious for many fatal accidents). The high-speed handling and poise of this much-maligned tall-boy as it accelerated thorugh the bends had to be seen to be believed. No wonder I did the entire Pune-Mumbai stretch in 2 hrs, 10 mts (174 kms).

With wider tyres, I don't think the car will perform like this and there will be an inevitable drop in top speed (and maybe FE?). The grip on dry roads will be good with wider tyres and the ride comfort will no doubt be better, but wet grip could be affected as possibility of aquaplaning increases.
Old 30th March 2008, 11:51   #288
BHPian

Thanks for the tip rks..But i decided to go in for 165/65 13s..... They're pretty good.. the ride comfort and the cornering is now simply superb!!! Thnx for your help guyz!!! Especially kpzen!! CHEERS!!cheers:

Now i need to get some good looking alloys..
Old 30th March 2008, 13:23   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vys De BlUR View Post
Thanks for the tip rks..But i decided to go in for 165/65 13s..... They're pretty good.. the ride comfort and the cornering is now simply superb!!! Thnx for your help guyz!!! Especially kpzen!! CHEERS!!cheers:
Which tyres did u get?
Old 30th March 2008, 21:01   #290
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vys De BlUR View Post
Thanks for the tip rks..But i decided to go in for 165/65 13s..... They're pretty good.. the ride comfort and the cornering is now simply superb!!! ....
Now i need to get some good looking alloys..
As long as you are happy with your choice, that is what counts. A couple of notes of caution here. Firstly, it is not advisable to mount 165/65-13 tyres on stock 4j rims. The minimum rim width advised is 4.5J and the recommended rim width is 5J. So try to get your alloys as soon as possible.

Secondly, when you get your alloys, make sure that there is no fouling in the front/rear wheels/tyres when you do full turn or when your car is fully loaded. Especially if you are buying 5.5J alloys, the possibility of fouling with mud flaps exists when you do full turn; it happened in my case even with 5J alloys (low offset) and stock-size tyres and I had to remove the front mud flaps. In your case you have wider tyres, so make sure that you check this.

Last edited by rks : 30th March 2008 at 21:02.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:24   #291
BHPian

Alright rks.. will do as soon as possible.. But the problem is i still cant find a good design...
I got the Michelin XM1 kp...
Old 3rd April 2008, 02:09   #292
BHPian

New set of tyres - advice please

New set of tyres - advice please.

Hyundai Santro Xing 2004 - approx 41 K Kms - OEM Bridgestone.

2 tyres - very bad - cant run anymore;
1 tyre - bad - can run some more;
2 tyres - ok -can run lot more.

Bridgestone website recommends 155/70R13 75S (Model number) S322 (tube type).

Bridgestone India Private Limited

Another option of same size, ratio etc with speed rating of H also recommended- Turanza ER60 (tubeless).

Passenger Car Tyres & Automobile Tyres India I Potenza tires, Turanza tires, Dueler tires, Donut tyres | Bias, Radial, Tubeless tires

A third recommendation is 165/65R13 77T of the S322 family

Passenger Car Tyres & Automobile Tyres India I Potenza tires, Turanza tires, Dueler tires, Donut tyres | Bias, Radial, Tubeless tires

Should I just change the two very bad ones and keep the bad one as spare or change all?

If I am changing all (to tubeless or tube type) should I stick to the recommended size Bridgestone or is any other company or size recommended due to its ride comfort, road grip, safety, longevity, economy of purchase cost (in that order of priority - since my Santro has a bad rear seat ride quality)?
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:54   #293
Senior - BHPian

Murugan
I would recommend u to get 165/65-13 upsized tyres.Yokohama A drive and Michelin XM1 are best available tyres in that size.

At 41k kms i would advise u to change all the tyres..
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:12   #294
Senior - BHPian

Depends on your prefernce & budget. If you can then change all 4 otherwise keep the bad tyre as spare & put on two new tyres. As the other two older tyres wear out replace them also.

165/65 R13 is the best upsize available for the Santro. Better tyres than the Bridgestone S322/GIII series are available in Michelin & Yokohama, give them a look too.
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:47   #295
aZa
Senior - BHPian

What tyres are available in Michelin and yoko ishan & KP? i want 175/60 something like the GIII or better but not too expensive
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:54   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
What tyres are available in Michelin and yoko ishan & KP? i want 175/60 something like the GIII or better but not too expensive
175/60-13 Yokohama A539 around 2500 or less .
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:14   #297
Senior - BHPian

Yup, agree with KP's suggestion aZa! You might like the tread design too.
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:31   #298
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Oh i googled the design and i like the tread pattern but aren't these soft tyres ? i'll be changing tyres in a day or two
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:54   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Oh i googled the design and i like the tread pattern but aren't these soft tyres ? i'll be changing tyres in a day or two
What soft tyres? didnt get u...

Just get them yaar. Good tyres..U will like them.

BTW how many kms did the GIIIs last?
Old 6th April 2008, 08:39   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
New set of tyres - advice please.

Hyundai Santro Xing 2004 - approx 41 K Kms - OEM Bridgestone.

2 tyres - very bad - cant run anymore;
1 tyre - bad - can run some more;
2 tyres - ok -can run lot more.

Bridgestone website recommends 155/70R13 75S (Model number) S322 (tube type).

Bridgestone India Private Limited

Another option of same size, ratio etc with speed rating of H also recommended- Turanza ER60 (tubeless).

A third recommendation is 165/65R13 77T of the S322 family

Should I just change the two very bad ones and keep the bad one as spare or change all?

If I am changing all (to tubeless or tube type) should I stick to the recommended size Bridgestone or is any other company or size recommended due to its ride comfort, road grip, safety, longevity, economy of purchase cost (in that order of priority - since my Santro has a bad rear seat ride quality)?
Checked with a few dealers on my way home. Their omments:

Dealer 1. Change only 2, keep the bad one as stepney. The 'ok' ones will last another 10,000+ Kms. Does not matter if the new two are tube type (as in my Santro) or tubeless. You can mix-n-match. Put the 2 new ones in the front.

Dealer 2. Put the 2 new ones in the rear as per Michelin's 'new' advisory. He showed a mini brouchure from Michelin.

Dealer 3. Change 4 as they are 4 years old, have seen 4 seasons and so are dried out and will crack before the next rains just like an old rubberband. Micro-cracks are already visible. Keep 1 'ok' tyre as stepney. I will buy back the other 'ok' tyre for Rs.250.

Dealer 4. If going tubeless change 4. You cannot mix and match tube type and tubeless. The stepney can be one of the 'ok' tube type as you may use it only till you repair a puncture on your tubeless.

Dealer 5: Change all 5 if going tubeless. You should not use another type tyre even for a short distance. And go +1 size as it improves ride comfort AND performance. Alloy wheels are mandatory for tubeless.

I am confused by the huge disparity in the answers that I got in a total time of less than 30 minutes.

The most economical option seems to be 2 tubeless (in the front of rear?) and change the other 2 when necessary.

Please advice about:

1. Can I mix and match tube type and tubeless tyres?
2. New tyres at the rear or front?
3. Is this four seasons rule true? Do I need to change the 'ok' 2 even though they may last another 10,000+ kilometres?
4. If going tubeless should I change all 5 or only 4 and use the tube type as stepney?
5. I thought +1 upsizing improves performance (road grip, cornering ability etc) but brings down ride comfort and mileage. Am I wrong?
6. Are alloy wheels mandatory for tubeless tyres?
7. Was pleasantly surprised by the buy-back offer for my old 'ok' tyre for Rs.250. Is that a good offer/ acceptable?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks