Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 16:14   #436
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Yes, I agree punctures can be quite a pain, and ruins the tyres if you dont realize you've got a puncture. Had that problem once.

But, 2 reasons for sticking with tubes instead of tubeless.
1) Cost of upgrading to alloys
2) Changing the stock wheels could be dicey since they do alter the dynamics of the vehicle thereby affecting the ride and the handling. Read Dabhar Behram's posts on the topic to know the importance of choosing the right wheel rims.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1195788

There is indeed a slight reduction in the fuel economy, which was expected. IMO, its a small price to pay for the increased safety during cornering and the better ride.

I have almost made my mind that i would go with tube type of tyres. My Santro is 2005 model with lpg fitted for months back. Has done some 55k on the odo.

if I am going for tube type, the one concern that still remains, is that my existing stock wheels have bent, have been hammered.
Am sure while changing tyres they might require a little bit hammering again.
Do I stick with current stock rims, or go in for new stock I have to change, what would be the cause rims.

Plz suggest if I can manage with these, and if I have to change, then what would the cost of these steel rims.

Old 16th March 2009, 17:52   #437
BHPian

Yokohama A:DRIVES - Finally!

Finally got my Yokos this afternoon. A-Drives for 2450 a piece. Totally paid rs.10250 for 4 tyres including alingment,balancing and nitrogen. My old tyres went for 150 bucks a piece. Got them from XL Tyre Point in T-Nagar. The steering has become lighter now and tyres are really good though too early to say.
A few pics which I clicked at the shop today.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-image034.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-image036.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-image037.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-image039.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-image040.jpg  

Last edited by Kevciti : 16th March 2009 at 17:58.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:14   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
I have almost made my mind that i would go with tube type of tyres. My Santro is 2005 model with lpg fitted for months back. Has done some 55k on the odo.

if I am going for tube type, the one concern that still remains, is that my existing stock wheels have bent, have been hammered.
Am sure while changing tyres they might require a little bit hammering again.
Do I stick with current stock rims, or go in for new stock I have to change, what would be the cause rims.

Plz suggest if I can manage with these, and if I have to change, then what would the cost of these steel rims.
Most stock steel wheels do get bent a little, the tyre shop should be able to give you a better idea as to whether they need to be replaced. However, they're usually able to straighten these bent rims usually, so I suggest you take your car to a good reputed tyre shop and ask him for his opinion. If you go for tubed tyres, slightly bent wheels should not cause any issue, however if it is tubeless, then the air does leak from bent rims.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:14   #439
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Most stock steel wheels do get bent a little, the tyre shop should be able to give you a better idea as to whether they need to be replaced. However, they're usually able to straighten these bent rims usually, so I suggest you take your car to a good reputed tyre shop and ask him for his opinion. If you go for tubed tyres, slightly bent wheels should not cause any issue, however if it is tubeless, then the air does leak from bent rims.

thanks for all the help and suggestions, you really helped me in making up my mind and saving quite alot of money.

I would go for tube tyres.

Old 20th March 2009, 19:05   #440
capri_cap

Please suggest me options which would value for money and best bang for my buck.

Tube type tyres to be put on my santro stock wheels.

Old 23rd March 2009, 18:19   #441
capri_cap

Could anyone please help me with my query?

Old 30th March 2009, 15:48   #442
capri_cap

Quote:
Please suggest me options which would value for money and best bang for my buck.

Tube type tyres to be put on my santro stock wheels.

Refreshing the post, hoping someone to see and resolve my query.

Best tube type tyres for fitting on santro stock wheels.

Please suggest.

Old 30th March 2009, 21:44   #443
BHPian

Capri tubeless would be your best bet. Its safer and more comfortable and can be fitted on stock rims too. You can switch over to alloys later if you want to with the same tyres. Choose from Yokos, Michellin or Apollo. You cant go wrong with either of these. Cheers
Old 1st April 2009, 12:33   #444
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevciti View Post
Capri tubeless would be your best bet. Its safer and more comfortable and can be fitted on stock rims too. You can switch over to alloys later if you want to with the same tyres. Choose from Yokos, Michellin or Apollo. You cant go wrong with either of these. Cheers

I cannot opt for tubeless as my stock rims are bent, and would cause air leakage with tubeless.

Could u please suggest some good options in tube type tyres.

Old 21st April 2009, 22:09   #445
Senior - BHPian

Yokohama A-drive

Changed to Yokohama A-drive 165/65R13 @ Rs. 2450 per tyre.
Goodyear GPS2 had worn out pretty fast along with uneven wear & hence changed them with odo at 25,145 Kms.

Worn out GPS2 with uneven wear.

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dsc02657.jpg

Tread pattern comparison: GPS2 on left and Yoko A-drives on right.

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dsc02661.jpg

Yoko A-drive on front wheel.

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dsc02662.jpg

Got this arrow shirt free as part of deal.

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dsc02665.jpg

Would post review about tyres later in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...e-reviews.html
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:23   #446
Senior - BHPian

Deat BHPians

Firstly thanking jkdas, aZa and others who have helped me in developing a clear picture as to what I want for my Santro Xing XO (2006) running on stock Bridgestone S322 155/70 R13.
I'm having the following questions

1) I plan to go for Yokohama A359's 175/60 R13; but am still a bit interested in Bridgestone Potenza GIII's in the same size. What will you suggest?

2) Moreover, can anyone please explain me in simple layman terms what do we exactly mean by offset and J's in width eg. 4.5J; 5J.

3) I know for Xing the PCD is 100; offset is 33; the stock has a width of 4J with upgrade mentioned upto 4.5J. So what alloy width should I actually go for taking into account 175/60 R13 tyres?

It's a kind request to all to please brainstorm this question so that I am able to come to concrete conclusion so as to what I have to get rather than being misled by the tyre shop guys.

Warm Regards
Tanveer Singh
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:50   #447
Senior - BHPian

Thanking all for the information shared in this thread and special thanks to jkdas and aZa for their support.

I have zeroed on 175/60 R13's for my Santro Xing XO (2006). I would like the fellow members to help me with the following:

1. I'm confused between Bridgestone Potenza GIII's and Yokohama A359.
Suggest the better one please.

2. What is J in alloy width? eg. 4.5J, 5J

3. Xing has PCD 100; Offset 38 and width has been suggested 4J to 4.5J. Please help me what should I keep in mind with respect to the above mentioned aspects while purchasing alloys.

It's a kind request to all to help as I'm not expecting a fair play from dealers.

Regards
tsk
Old 2nd May 2009, 16:47   #448
Senior - BHPian

Tsk13

1. Don't even blink your eyes just go for the Yoko A539s in 175/60-13....GIIIs were good, now we have better tires in the market.

2. Stock specification of Santro wheels.
Dia - 13"
Width - 4j
Offset - 46

3. Any alloys with 5 or 5.5j in 13" will do the job and in terms of offset just try to get the alloys with offset around 38.

4. What deal are u getting from the dealers ?
Old 2nd May 2009, 18:06   #449
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot opt for tubeless as my stock rims are bent, and would cause air leakage with tubeless.Could u please suggest some good options in tube type tyres.
Why don't you check out the new tyre launched by Goodyear ? It's called Duraplus and the company claims a mileage of over 1,00,000 kms on it,and they're tube-type tyres too.
Old 5th May 2009, 14:54   #450
Senior - BHPian

I would be sticking to 13 inch alloys only but has anyone ever tried fitting 14" alloys on Santro? I would like to know the experience and views of fellow members on such an upgrade.
Regards
tSk

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks