Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 12:13   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Unique Mos --- As of now, you havent had any problem. Consider yourself lucky. Sometimes people meet with major accidents but escape without a scratch. They are lucky and would go to major length to avoid having that accident again.

Consider yourself in this category. Just because nothing has happened yet doesnt mean what you are doing is right.

There is a reason tyre companies specify certain minimum and maximum rim widths for their tyres. It is not that they are bored and just want to confuse people like us!

If you squeeze in a 175 section tyre on a 4j rim, there is an increase possibility of the tyre just popping out of the rim at high speed or while cornering hard.

In those cases, you may not be alive to come back and advise people not to use such a wide tyre on such a narrow rim.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:08   #542
BHPian

Hi all,

I own a 2005 Santro Xing - Done about 15k kms. I wish to change my tyres and switch to alloys from Stock rims.
Whats my best bet? Also, how much would it cost me overall. Please let know.
Interested in ride comfort and handling. Thanks.
Cheers.!
Old 4th March 2010, 17:13   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameern.85 View Post
Hi all,

I own a 2005 Santro Xing - Done about 15k kms. I wish to change my tyres and switch to alloys from Stock rims.
Whats my best bet? Also, how much would it cost me overall. Please let know.
Interested in ride comfort and handling. Thanks.
Cheers.!
5 years and 15k Kilometers, very less driven car.

For alloys you've brands like HR (HRS), SSW, League, Plati, Prestige etc. These brands have good offerings in 13" and I suggest you to stick to 13" as upgrading to 14" will deteriorate ride quality. Alloys should cost you somewhere near 10k for a set of 4 for brands like HR, League etc.

For the tyres, you've the choice of following sizes:
155/70 R13 (Stock Size)
165/65 R13 (Highly Recommended Upgrade)
175/60 R13 (The one I have)

For comfort, you've Michelin XM1+ (most comfortable) and Yokohama A.Drives; for performance Yokohama A539 (175/60 R13) is a good option. I use the A539's and they're a bit noisy but if you use AC or listen to music this noise is not audible. Otherwise at high speeds slight noise is audible but it's not a pain to your ears. The A539's are great if you do high speed cornering.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:52   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Unique Mos --- As of now, you havent had any problem. Consider yourself lucky. Sometimes people meet with major accidents but escape without a scratch. They are lucky and would go to major length to avoid having that accident again.

Consider yourself in this category. Just because nothing has happened yet doesnt mean what you are doing is right.

There is a reason tyre companies specify certain minimum and maximum rim widths for their tyres. It is not that they are bored and just want to confuse people like us!

If you squeeze in a 175 section tyre on a 4j rim, there is an increase possibility of the tyre just popping out of the rim at high speed or while cornering hard.

In those cases, you may not be alive to come back and advise people not to use such a wide tyre on such a narrow rim.
I would disagree. I still believe 175 is the max a 4" rim would accommodate SAFELY. Could you please put up the link to statement in bold with regards to santro 4" steel rim?

UM
Old 4th March 2010, 18:18   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
I would disagree. I still believe 175 is the max a 4" rim would accommodate SAFELY. Could you please put up the link to statement in bold with regards to santro 4" steel rim?

UM
@ Uniquemods: It's about recommended rim width. If you feel it's safe to mount 175/60R13 on 13x4J wheel, then so be it for you. To each his own.

Use the link provided in my earlier post for rim width calculator. That link is not from any manufacturer (tyre/car) but I would regard that better as independent opinion.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1758185

Another post below that indicates difficulty/issues for mounting 175 width tyre on 4" rims. Although this link/thread is about about i10, but i10 & santro share similar stock rim widths 13x4B and 13x4J respectively.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post965000
Old 4th March 2010, 23:54   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
@ Uniquemods: It's about recommended rim width. If you feel it's safe to mount 175/60R13 on 13x4J wheel, then so be it for you. To each his own.
so some face difficulty and some didnt.

anyways let this 175 and 4" mating topic end here
aggreed 5.5" alloys are much better.

every one has thier own opinion and its upon the reader to use a suggestion or not.

UM
Old 20th March 2010, 09:30   #547
BANNED

Tires for santro xing in bangalore

My sister stays in bangalore & she needs to change the tires in her santro.

OEM Tyre size is : 155/70 R13

We are thinking about : 165/65 R13

Our preferred choice of brand is : Michelin

The Brands we dont prefer are : Bridgestone & Indian brands like JK,MRF,Apollo etc.

She stays on Banerghatta road very near to IIM Bangalore.

Please suggest a good showroom anywhere between Banerghatta road & Koromangala.

Also Please comment on my tyre choices.

PS - I sent her two team-bhp stickers & she is going to put them on her car today.
Old 20th March 2010, 17:14   #548
BANNED

Please someone tell me in 2 days as those tires have already crossed 50000 kms and are nearly dead.
Old 20th March 2010, 19:25   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
My sister stays in bangalore & she needs to change the tires in her santro.

OEM Tyre size is : 155/70 R13

We are thinking about : 165/65 R13

Our preferred choice of brand is : Michelin

The Brands we dont prefer are : Bridgestone & Indian brands like JK,MRF,Apollo etc.

She stays on Banerghatta road very near to IIM Bangalore.

Please suggest a good showroom anywhere between Banerghatta road & Koromangala.

Also Please comment on my tyre choices.

PS - I sent her two team-bhp stickers & she is going to put them on her car today.
Size : 165/65-13 is a perfect upgrade for Santro.

Tire choices available :
1. Michelin XM1
2. Yokohama A drives
3. Apollo Aceleres

All three are good tires. Rest depends upon your budget and choice.

Dealers in Blore :
Madhus on JC Road
Millivision & Sai Iyengar on Lalbagh road
Hercules in Sheshadripuram
Old 20th March 2010, 19:27   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
so some face difficulty and some didnt.

anyways let this 175 and 4" mating topic end here
aggreed 5.5" alloys are much better.

every one has thier own opinion and its upon the reader to use a suggestion or not.

UM
Drive a Zen with 165 tires on 13x 4j rims and u will know what we are talking about.

Anyways i know in Santro it doesn't get that bad but it also doesn't mean that its a perfect combo. A lot depends on suspension geometry, steering setup, rim offset etc..

Have u driven a Santro with 175 and 5j or 5j + rims ?
Old 20th March 2010, 19:33   #551
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Size : 165/65-13 is a perfect upgrade for Santro.

Tire choices available :
1. Michelin XM1
2. Yokohama A drives
3. Apollo Aceleres

All three are good tires. Rest depends upon your budget and choice.

Dealers in Blore :
Madhus on JC Road
Millivision & Sai Iyengar on Lalbagh road
Hercules in Sheshadripuram
Thanks, I guess Michelin XM1+ would be best for her & sai iyengar @ lalbagh road would suit her.
Old 20th March 2010, 20:21   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Thanks, I guess Michelin XM1+ would be best for her & sai iyengar @ lalbagh road would suit her.
Our TyrExpert Nikhilb2008 owns Madhu's. We can vouch for Mr. Nikhil as the best solution on TBHP.
Old 19th April 2010, 17:45   #553
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

For ride quality to improve, you need to go in for a higher profile tyre, but this will not have the correct rolling circumference.

155/70 R13 is the best option for Santro if you want ride quality. You can go in for 165/65 R13(only on alloys. The OEM steel wheel is too narrow) but this will decrease your ride quality.
Hey Nikhil your answers have helped me in making my decision of buying a new set of tyres for Santro quite easier. I decided on Michelin XM1+.

I have two doubts based on the above post.
1. If 165/65/R13 decreases the ride quality, what is the advantage it is giving?
2. Is it not possible to fit 165/65/r13 on original steel rims?
Old 20th April 2010, 01:58   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Hey Nikhil your answers have helped me in making my decision of buying a new set of tyres for Santro quite easier. I decided on Michelin XM1+.

I have two doubts based on the above post.
1. If 165/65/R13 decreases the ride quality, what is the advantage it is giving?
2. Is it not possible to fit 165/65/r13 on original steel rims?
1. You get a wider area of rubber in contact with the road making high speed cornering safer compared to stock profile. Decrease in ride quality, is it so?

2. I think it's ok, rest Nikhil shall add.

By the way I got Michelin XM1+ 155/70 R13 for my uncle's Xing from BK Tyres. Had to choose between Michelin XM1+, Yoko A Drive, ContiEcoContact and Bridgestone S322. It was an impromptu purchase from the store next door as an Irod Rod (Sariya) pierced one of the tyres and rendered it uselss leading to a decision to get new 4 tyres even though there was a little life left in the rest.

Nikhil, I pressed the tyres from top and found Michelin to be the hardest, I mean rest were very flexible when pressure was applied. Seems Michelin has made itself more India friendly.

Last edited by tsk13 : 20th April 2010 at 02:04.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:25   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

SPs --- 165/65 R13 is a good size. You do lose out a bit on ride comfort, but hadling is better and the car feels more planted on the road. We're using that size on our Santro.

tsk13 --- Well, pressing on a tyre is no way to check anyway! But Michelin XM1+ has ALWAYS been India-friendly. It's a lovely tyre but people just overhype Michelin failures.

Most Viewed