Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 16:36   #421
capri_cap

Need to upgrade to new tyres and alloys on a 2005 santro xing with lpg

Need to upgrade to new tyres as I have crossed 53000kms with stock wheels.

Last time when I had done wheel balancing, the mechanic had to hammer the stock rims as all of them were bent.

Need to know the best option for my santro as it runs on lpg, will a tube or tubeless upgrade with or without alloys have an effect on the mileage and pickup.

My driving is highway and city driving with major traffic jams around powai , daily running is approx 5o kms.

Of late am not getting the confidence while driving with my old worn out tyres.

Also need complete suggestion as to tyre and alloys of which brand should I go for along with the price and place available.

I stay at Thane.

Awaiting your replies.

Old 12th March 2009, 18:02   #422
capri_cap

Still waiting for an update guys.

Kinldy suggest me options.

Old 12th March 2009, 22:19   #423
BHPian

Hi Guys, Need some help deciding. Finally decided to change my tyres this weekend. Got some quotes and still undecided about Michellin XM1, Yokohama A-Drive and Apollo Accelere. Dealers are quoting 2850, 2500 and 2750 for the above in size 165/65. The Yokos are the cheapest and no current offers running. But they also look the thinnest among the 3. What say guys. I know all 3 are good but am leaning towards the Yokos. Any other thoughts on this? I will be changing them this weekend.
Old 13th March 2009, 01:12   #424
BHPian

@ Kevciti - go for the Yoko A 539's. they are really really nice. a friend of mine has them on his santro and we have tried it out on dry as well as wet roads and they perform really well. really nice handling and amazing grip. go ahead and pick them up. please do post pics once you put them on!
Old 13th March 2009, 16:29   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H V I N View Post
@ Kevciti - go for the Yoko A 539's. they are really really nice. a friend of mine has them on his santro and we have tried it out on dry as well as wet roads and they perform really well. really nice handling and amazing grip. go ahead and pick them up. please do post pics once you put them on!
Would love to pick up the 539's but unfortunately they are available only in 175/60. Since im downgrading (if you can call it that) from 185/60 it wouldnt make much sense. The only ones available in 165/65 are the above 3. Btw got a quote from tyreshop today for A-Drives at 2450 and XM-1's for 2825. Are these good or can I bargain further.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:50   #426
BHPian

how come you are downsizing to 165/65? any particular reason? does your car have power steering? my friend is running 175/60 A-539s on his non PS Santro. its run about 12000kms now and the tyre is in great condition. turning while standing still does take some effort though.

I am not familiar with the current pricing hence cannot give you any advise on that. the "Tyre Lords" or someone from Chennai who has picked either of these up recently could say something about it.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:06   #427
BHPian

Downsizing because the steering is a bit hard. Stability at high speeds is amazing but in everyday driving it becomes a pain. My xing has powersteering but even then its kinda hard. Plus the two front tyres are almost worn out.
Am running Goodyear Eagle Venturas rite now. Plus ever since I put these tyres on the FE refuses to go over 10kmpl.
Heard the A-drives are the only ones which have silica compound amongst the 3. Is this true?
Old 13th March 2009, 18:25   #428
BHPian

well i have no idea about the silica compound and stuff but 10kmpl is ridiculous as an FE figure! we get 16kmpl on highways and atleast 12-13 in the city on my friends car. Since you have power steering then i say go for the 175/60 A 539s. You wouldn't find it to be that hard to maneuver at all!
Old 13th March 2009, 18:37   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
Need to upgrade to new tyres as I have crossed 53000kms with stock wheels.

Last time when I had done wheel balancing, the mechanic had to hammer the stock rims as all of them were bent.

Need to know the best option for my santro as it runs on lpg, will a tube or tubeless upgrade with or without alloys have an effect on the mileage and pickup.

My driving is highway and city driving with major traffic jams around powai , daily running is approx 5o kms.

Of late am not getting the confidence while driving with my old worn out tyres.

Also need complete suggestion as to tyre and alloys of which brand should I go for along with the price and place available.

I stay at Thane.

Awaiting your replies.
Was in a similar situation, had covered about 45k on stock bridgestone tyres in about 4 years and they had begun to lose grip, make screeching noises on slow turns etc....

Changed to slightly wider rubber, 165/65R13 77T S322 Bridgestone tubed tyres. Got 5 tyres with tubes, wheel alignment and balancing for 12500/- all inclusive. 3 years warranty. Manufacturing date of Jan 09, so should be pretty fresh rubber. Got a free Provogue bag as a freebie. Was getting it cheaper from a few other dealers, but did'nt find them very professional, so went with Diamond Tyres from Chembur. Picked up tubed tyres since I'm running on stock wheels, and heard about tubeless tyres leaking from bent rims, so did'nt wanna take the chance. Got about 700 totally for my old tyres in buyback.

Verdict: Ride quality seems to have improved, dont feel the bumps as much. Car feels more planted especially around corners, although it does feel a tad sluggish as compared to stock. Screeching sounds have disappeared.

Hope this helps you decide on your upgrade.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:42   #430
BHPian

Well a diff of 10mm isint gonna make that much of a difference. But I have a feeling 165/65 is the ideal size for a santro. Am hoping FE willl go up by at least 2kms. The size is decided. The brand is still open. Checked out all three. All look good. Thats why am all the more confused now.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:45   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevciti View Post
Downsizing because the steering is a bit hard. Stability at high speeds is amazing but in everyday driving it becomes a pain. My xing has powersteering but even then its kinda hard. Plus the two front tyres are almost worn out.
Am running Goodyear Eagle Venturas rite now. Plus ever since I put these tyres on the FE refuses to go over 10kmpl.
Heard the A-drives are the only ones which have silica compound amongst the 3. Is this true?
I picked up the A539's from Chennai only. And i do not have a power steering. I agree the steering is a bit tight but if you do have PS then these are the best tyres for the santro.

Have done close to 12k kms on it and still they have not moved. Go for 175/60 and i am sure you will be a happy man at the end of the day.

Regarding the FE issue 10 kmpl seems to be too low.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:54   #432
BHPian

This is what Im running currently.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_0026_1.jpg  

Old 13th March 2009, 19:02   #433
BHPian

One more old pic which I found. These are about a year old. The rear tires are new. Fronts have worn out.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_0025_1.jpg  

Last edited by Kevciti : 13th March 2009 at 19:05. Reason: Uploaded the same pic by mistake.Now changed.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:23   #434
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Was in a similar situation, had covered about 45k on stock bridgestone tyres in about 4 years and they had begun to lose grip, make screeching noises on slow turns etc....

Changed to slightly wider rubber, 165/65R13 77T S322 Bridgestone tubed tyres. Got 5 tyres with tubes, wheel alignment and balancing for 12500/- all inclusive. 3 years warranty. Manufacturing date of Jan 09, so should be pretty fresh rubber. Got a free Provogue bag as a freebie. Was getting it cheaper from a few other dealers, but did'nt find them very professional, so went with Diamond Tyres from Chembur. Picked up tubed tyres since I'm running on stock wheels, and heard about tubeless tyres leaking from bent rims, so did'nt wanna take the chance. Got about 700 totally for my old tyres in buyback.

Verdict: Ride quality seems to have improved, dont feel the bumps as much. Car feels more planted especially around corners, although it does feel a tad sluggish as compared to stock. Screeching sounds have disappeared.

Hope this helps you decide on your upgrade.

Just one dilemma, the problem with tube tyres is the tube punctures, which is a pain.

personally i want to go with tubeless, but then that also adds an added expenditure of having to go for the alloys.

Also has changing to wider tyres, had any negative impact on your fuel efficiency??

Old 16th March 2009, 13:52   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
Just one dilemma, the problem with tube tyres is the tube punctures, which is a pain.

personally i want to go with tubeless, but then that also adds an added expenditure of having to go for the alloys.

Also has changing to wider tyres, had any negative impact on your fuel efficiency??
Yes, I agree punctures can be quite a pain, and ruins the tyres if you dont realize you've got a puncture. Had that problem once.

But, 2 reasons for sticking with tubes instead of tubeless.
1) Cost of upgrading to alloys
2) Changing the stock wheels could be dicey since they do alter the dynamics of the vehicle thereby affecting the ride and the handling. Read Dabhar Behram's posts on the topic to know the importance of choosing the right wheel rims.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1195788

There is indeed a slight reduction in the fuel economy, which was expected. IMO, its a small price to pay for the increased safety during cornering and the better ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks