Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 23:54   #1
BHPian

Mixing tube and tubeless tyres

My wife uses my old Santro (2002). As it had run 60k kms I asked her to get the tyres changed so she went to Sai Iyengars near my house and got it changed. She told me later that they have installed 3 tubeless tyres and 1 tyre with tube (as it had a bent rim). My questions are:

1. Is it OK to combine tubeless and tube tyres? Does the same tyre model come both in tube and tubeless variants?

2. OEM tyres were with tubes. Is it possible to fit tubeless tyres on the older rims?

3. They charged Rs.500 for wheel balancing and wheel alignment. Is it usually done free or was she charged more?
Old 1st December 2009, 00:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
My wife uses my old Santro (2002). As it had run 60k kms I asked her to get the tyres changed so she went to Sai Iyengars near my house and got it changed. She told me later that they have installed 3 tubeless tyres and 1 tyre with tube (as it had a bent rim). My questions are:

1. Is it OK to combine tubeless and tube tyres? Does the same tyre model come both in tube and tubeless variants?

2. OEM tyres were with tubes. Is it possible to fit tubeless tyres on the older rims?

3. They charged Rs.500 for wheel balancing and wheel alignment. Is it usually done free or was she charged more?
I donot know whether it is technically right or not. But, i have fitted two front tyres in my Tata safari as tubeless and rear are still tube ones. i never had any problems with this setup.
Old 1st December 2009, 00:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post

1). It's ok to mix the two. There are some tyres from BS and Goodyear which come in tubeless and tubetype forms. It's ok to use tubeless and tubetype on the same car as long as the patterns are the same. Like, all 4 are S322s or whatever. At least make sure that 2 tyres on the same axle are of the same pattern.

2). It is possible to fit tubeless on older rims as long as the rims are in good condition. If there is rust along the side of the rim, then the tubeless tyre may not form an airtight seal with the rim and air may continue to leak slowly which will lead you to think that you have a puncture.

3). Depends from place to place. I know for a fact that Sai Iyengar have some high end equipment. You will not get free WA/WB from a place which uses this kind of equipment. 500 is an ok price for it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2009, 14:41   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To add to Nikhil's excellent post, just make sure that the size of your new & old tyres is identical. Seems obvious, but easy to overlook.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:35   #5
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs !!!
Old 20th September 2010, 21:54   #6
BHPian

Bringing the thread to live again.

I have Good Year GT3 tubeless tyres (on steel rim) in my Innova. It has done 48,000 Kms. Recently observed a consistent pressure drop on the Left Front tyre. Got the tyre examined by a authorised tyre dealer in Banashankari. The problem was that there was a leak near the previous puncture which was repaired using the adhesive strip method. The technician told me that the hole had become large enough to put in one more adhesive strip.
So he suggested me two options : -
1. To go for a tube insertion.
2. To go for patch insertion (he did not have the facility and asked for 4 days to get it done from somewhere else & also he suggested it was not reliable!!!)
I went for Option 1 (due to lack of time).
I have 2 questions.
I generally drive on highways at speeds ranging from 100 to 120 Kmph. Is it safe with this combination?
Old 21st September 2010, 00:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Two of my Ritz Tyre were punctured. I could repair with stick type puncture for one and the other got crack and a tube was inserted. I kept the tube tyre as spare but during my last service My SA rotated the tyre and I did not feel any difference between tubeless and the tubed oneafter 1k km run .
Old 21st September 2010, 00:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

What exactly do you mean by a crack Navan?? If its a sidewall cut, please change the tyre asap else a failure at high speed could be catastrophic.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:50   #9
BANNED

@samish_g: I am surprised he thinks patches are not reliable. See the recent Michelin advertisements - they only recommend repairs from the inside using mushroom patches. I will trust Michelin more than the dealer. I expect that a Michelin dealer should be properly equipped.

Tube insertion is always an option, but not a preferred one.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:13   #10
BHPian

I have Apollo Acceleres - 4 tyres in my Indica Xeta and like Navan, there has been a puncture in one of them. That puncture was repaired with the tube insertion; but now that same tyre has been punctured once again....

Learning! it is better to remove the tyre and chck what and where the puncture is, rather than just inserting the tube for sealing.

Result the same place/ same tyre started losing pressure. A tyre guy said a patch will sort this on Sunday lst, dint drive yesterday - and today morning the tyre was flat as paper.

Dont want to just get one tyre - will replace all 4 now... but am thinking my remaining 4 tyres have run (3 over 42k (1 of which is the above case) & 1 tyre run about 30k)

Should I insert a tube and run the (punctured tyre), as I dont want to spend dough on all 4 tyres....

Do advise.
Old 21st September 2010, 19:40   #11
BHPian

One of my friends 8yr old santro required new shoes so i took him to madhus. Turns out the rims are old and may not offer good grip for tubeless michelins XM1+. I think David (correct me nikhil) was there to help us out. He advised us to use the existing tubes with tubeless tyres on all 4 wheels. So when he plans to upgrade the alloys (rare on 8yr old car) he can just remove the tubes and go on.

This was last month and till now my friend is enjoying the new shoes.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@samish_g: I am surprised he thinks patches are not reliable. See the recent Michelin advertisements - they only recommend repairs from the inside using mushroom patches. I will trust Michelin more than the dealer. I expect that a Michelin dealer should be properly equipped.

Tube insertion is always an option, but not a preferred one.
Thanks for the reply @sgiitk sir.
Actually he initially tried to repair with the adhesive strip. However we still found some air leak.
Though he proposed mushroom patch, he did not have it. May be that is why he stressed on a tube fitment!!!
I contacted Good Year corporate office yesterday. Today they gave me a call and told me the contact number of the technical advisor of Bangalore region. I will call him tomorrow and find out.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:48   #13
BHPian

I got a rear tyre puncture a week back...took it to a tyre dealer. They tried the adhesive strip puncture repair kit but air was still leaking. I was told that the puncture is slightly towards the sidewall and hence it is better to put a tube inside as a stop gap arrangement. Running with the tube for past few days. Not noticing any unwanted drama as of now. Is it okay to continue for sometime or should the tyre be completely replaced?
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:15   #14
BHPian

Today I spoke with the Technical Advisor of Bangalore Zone of M/s Good Year. Appraised him about the situation. He said that the arrangement (inserting a tube in a tubeless tyre) is absolutely fine and has recommended the same to many other customers.
So will continue with this arrangement and hope for the best!!!
Old 19th April 2011, 00:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mixing tube and tubeless tyres

Reviving this thread once again with my experience and suggestions from experts.

About a month back i changed 4 typres to tubeless Michelin. This weekend while travelling to Mumbai on the expressway the rear tyre got punctured and i replaced it with the spare tyre. On reaching Mumbai took the vehicle to the local puncture repair shop and to my shock there was a big nail that had gone through from the base of the tyre and ruptured even the side wall.

The tyre fellow told me that you would not be able to use this as tubeless tyre anymore as the patch would not work. He suggested putting a tube instead. I have taken his word for it as the damage looked bad and got the tube fitted in the new Michelin tyre. But i am worried about using it as a regulare tyre and have keep it as a spare wheel for the last one week. I am using the original Bridgestone spare wheel (it was still in ok condition and hence was not replaced while doing the tyre change) as the fourth wheel.

I have the following questions:
- Does it have any effect if i have 3 tubeless tyres and one tyre with tube while driving?
- I know the dealer would not entertain my claim for warranty as it was a puncture because of a nail. But is there anything i can expect from the dealer to rectify the situation. At the least maybe have a look at the fix done by the puncture guy to check if it is fine.
- Any one has had any similar experience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks