Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 19:57   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
Michelin tyres being sold after such a long time. something fishy here i suppose.!
Sir, did you even BOTHER reading the previous posts?
Old 12th December 2009, 22:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

All I can say here is: it's been a learning experience with this thread. As any other tyre user, I've always been comfortable with fitting tyres which are maybe 6 months old or less. Never thought about the intricacies of shelf-life and storage of tyres, and that they could be as old as 3 years and still be considered to be in "as good as new" condition by the manufacturer.

However, fortunately, I've never had issues with tyres requiring a warranty claim - but then one can't be lucky all the time. Have heard stories about how tough it is to claim warranty in tyre-related cases, and how some companies are more bull-headed than others about the same - how any damage at all to tyres can be blamed back to bad usage/fitment/repair and not bad manufacturing.

I wonder if this may be the right place for the experts to enlighten us about how the tyre manufacturers approach matters of warranty claims, and who might be better or worse.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:04   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
1). Anything less than 1 and a half years old is ok. But it obviously makes sense to try your level best to get the latest possible tyre. But in some cases, it is not possible. So, anything upto 1.5 years is ok.
Mine just completed 1.5 years upon purchase, so it is not OK.

I have been waiting for 20 days now for two more tyres, but I still can't get it. The dealer is unable to get me the tyres from Bangalore.

What's wrong with Michelin? This is the only AT tyre they sell in India. And it comes in only one size. And they can't deliver it even after 3 weeks of wait.

I think I should have just gone for Yokohama Geolandar AT-S, which is doing a fantastic job in my Jeep. Would have been lot cheaper too. Instead I went for Michelin, wanting to try something different. Now I stuck with two old tyres and Michelin can't deliver any more tyres.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th December 2009 at 18:05.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:09   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, they really dont have it in stock. We also need it!

The thing is, Michelin expanded in India much faster than they expected. So, their inventories are running low. Hopefully they will sort it out next year.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:11   #50
BHPian

Michelin LTX AT tyres

I am looking for a pair of Michelin LTX A/T tyres (265/70 R15) for quite some time. It seems that no dealer in and around Kolkata is ready to get that for me and there is no old stock left with any dealer. The govt rules on importing and ISI mark is hampering the import of specialized and performance tyres and this is not helping my effort to get hold of it.

I have also contacted a few dealers in Mumbai for this, but most of them have put me on hold till Jan next year... which is fine with me... but without a promise of procuring me the same.

Can anyone provide me with any contact across India from where I can procure a pair of these tyres as specified. Any help with this information is appreciated.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:12   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin LTX AT tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by debarshim View Post
I am looking for a pair of Michelin LTX A/T tyres (265/70 R15) for quite some time. It seems that no dealer in and around Kolkata is ready to get that for me and there is no old stock left with any dealer. The govt rules on importing and ISI mark is hampering the import of specialized and performance tyres and this is not helping my effort to get hold of it.

I have also contacted a few dealers in Mumbai for this, but most of them have put me on hold till Jan next year... which is fine with me... but without a promise of procuring me the same.

Can anyone provide me with any contact across India from where I can procure a pair of these tyres as specified. Any help with this information is appreciated.
These tyre are out of production. So, chances of you finding them are very very less.
Old 30th November 2013, 19:24   #52
BHPian

Re: Michelin LTX AT tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
These tyre are out of production. So, chances of you finding them are very very less.
Atlast I found Bridgestone Potenza G3's in a shop. The code reads as 0313, so they are 9 months old. The red, yellow thin stripes which come on a new tyre are there. Fine layer of dust was acceptable as the shop is on a busy and dusty square.
I would like to know, what is the significance of the tiny, tender rubber spikes which are there on a new tyre? They were almost 80% shaven off on the tyres which I saw. Can this be a reason to avoid buying these tyres? I may be wrong for suspecting these tyres, but you can understand how fresh and new a tyre looks with those spikes.
Price quoted was 5k, but agreed upon 4900rs. Should I buy these or search at another shop?
Old 14th December 2013, 22:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 18 months old Michelin LTX AT2 - How old tyres are acceptable?

This means the tyre has been used. Maybe for a very short time but definitely used.
Old 18th June 2014, 15:11   #54
BHPian

Hey guys,
I am looking to buy Michelin Latitude Cross 235/70 R16 tyres but everywhere in my city the latest manufactured lot available is of 3713 i.e 37th week 2013. They are like 9-10 months old. Also, all four tyres are from different lots. For example, all four tyres have different dates like 3713 (2 tyres), 3414 & 3213. What should I do? I really like this tyre model. Solves my purpose really well. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2017 at 08:40. Reason: As requested
Old 10th May 2015, 11:30   #55
BHPian

Online Tyre Purchase woes !

Hey folks,

Has anyone had experiences purchasing tyres online ?

I recently tried to purchase tyres on Snapdeal.

They were Michelin Primacy 3ST.

Tyre specs

225/55/R16

Quantity 4 nos

Each costing: 11,870/-

This is the discounted price per tyre.

When i messaged the seller to ask what was the most recent stock available ?

The seller responded "This is made in 2014 end. Since it's an imported tyre this is the latest you can get. No tyre shall be fresher than this."

My query is, have any of you faced the same situation ?

Also i am based in Bangalore, Millivisions MKting advised Continentals instead of Michelins.

Another tyre company gave my an offer of 12,500 per tyre (Michelins).

So if i buy the tyres online from Snapdeal which is a late 2014 stock, will those tyres have become naturally hard due to environmental exposure or such factors ?

help
Old 11th May 2015, 11:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Online Tyre Purchase woes !

Never a good idea to buy tyres online in India. Seems there are too many complaints against online tyre vendors.

Since you are in Bangalore, why don't you try them? After all, they have a special relation with Team-BHP.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 11:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

Slightly unrelated to the topic but:
Where do you store the tyres when you get the delivery?
Who installs the tyres?
How do you dispose the old tyres?
Old 11th May 2015, 11:50   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Never a good idea to buy tyres online in India. Seems there are too many complaints against online tyre vendors.
+1. As told to me, tyres can be dressed up in such a way that some faults can get hidden. These would show up later.

Customer service / sales in India has not yet matured to the point where I would trust buying things online. Tyres - apart from the cost, are also very critical to safety when driving. I will stay away from online tyre shops, and head out to known dealers / at least the ones that friends can recommend.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 15:18   #59
BHPian

I recently bought set of four(Amazer XL - 175/70 R13) online from snapdeal. Numerous mails to snapdeal for confirming the date of manufacturing, prior to shipping went un-responded. Finally the shipment arrived with tyres manufactured in 2014(The rubber itself looked dry and dirty). Since i had opted for Cash On Delivery, i refused the shipment and bought from the authorized dealer near my place.

The online offer was cheaper by Rs3500 from what the dealer had quoted.
While the Authorized dealer offered installation, alignment and balancing as inclusive with the set of four, offsetting the price difference to an extent.

I think if it comes to tyres, it makes sense to not buy online.
Old 1st August 2016, 23:26   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Manufacturing date of tires is a very important criteria and hence I may not gather the courage to buy a set online even if they are offered at a cheaper price. It's even worse if one has paid in advance. The seller mostly will not pay heed to complains regarding old stock by quoting warranty policies of manufacturers which guarantee a tire for 3 years from purchase date; which is again mostly impossible to claim.
Even if you go to a regular brick n mortar store, they would push an old stock if you don't check by yourself and insist on fresh tires.
Regards.

Most Viewed