Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 18:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

18 months old Michelin LTX AT2 - How old tyres are acceptable?

I just got the Michelin LTX AT2 tyres installed on my GV. I was in a hurry during the installation since I had to pick up my son. However, I did notice that couple of them looked a little aged, may be bad storage.

After coming back to office, I looked up the manufacturing dates on the tyres and was horrified.

Two tyres were 2308 - means June 2008
Three tyres were 2109 - means May 2009

The first two tyres are really old, they have to be returned.

But how about the May 2009 tyres? Should I accept it?
Old 8th December 2009, 18:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

May 2009 tyres are fine Samu. No problems within same year.

2008 ones seem really old. rubber hardens when kept outside in the sun. Inside it will take ages to harden.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

From what I have gathered from our dear forum, a tyre more than six months old is best avoided and more than a year old definitely not acceptable.

Experts may chime in with their thoughts !
Old 8th December 2009, 18:30   #4
BHPian

What need to check, when go for buying new tyres? I have stepani tyre, only used for 10 to 15 kms, What about that tyre condition will be there? Can I use it for regular use?
Old 8th December 2009, 18:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

See, people have a mental block about buying anything older than 6 months. If so, your choice becomes severely restricted.

Today, all the high performance tyres are imported. It is ALMOST impossible to get Contis and some Yokos and osme Michelins which are less than 6 months old.

Also, tryes harden when kept outside. Most of the company godowns are completely covered and pretty cool. Not too hot or expose to the elements or anything. I would say anything upto one year is ok. Even a bit more is ok.

One and a half years is pushing it though.... However, the companies officially claim that anything upto 2 years is ok. So, dont expect to get a replacement for your tyres unless oyu know the dealer very well.

Technically, there is nothing wrong with a June 2008 tyre. The company will stick to it's stand and the dealer will go by the company.

Another thought: Most of these tyres today(I'm referring to the A drives, XM1+,S drives, etc.... ) last a maximum of 50,000 kms. Most people(not all, but most people) will wear out their tyres long before the age of the tyres comes into play.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 18:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

The dealer got it directly from Michelin. So he called them, and they are refusing to take it back since it is already mounted. However, they are offering to replace the tyre if any defect is found within 3 years. I find that offer unacceptable.

While I have paid full payment for new tyres, why should I end up with 18 month old tyres?
Old 8th December 2009, 18:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The dealer got it directly from Michelin. So he called them, and they are refusing to take it back since it is already mounted. However, they are offering to replace the tyre if any defect is found within 3 years. I find that offer unacceptable.

While I have paid full payment for new tyres, why should I end up with 18 month old tyres?
Samurai, unfortunately, you cannot do a damn thing.

See, 99.99% of people will not have a problem with these tyres. You are among that 0.01% of people. You should have checked it before oyu got it installed. You didnt, for whatever reason. But technically, the company is not entitled to give you ANY replacement once you have mounted the tyre.

I suggest, you stop getting so technical. Put it out of your mind and just enjoy the tyres. We TBHPians have this tendency to become too technical and we dont see the real situation. Given your usage Samurai, I predict the tyres will wear out in less than three years.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 18:50   #8
BHPian

May be off topic
Two tyres were 2308 - means June 2008
Three tyres were 2109 - means May 2009

From above I think first two digits means week and last two digit means year. Am I correct
Is it followed by all companies

I remember some follow ABCD.. along with year and some follow circle with dots around circumference or circle divided in 4 quadrant and each quadrant is 3 months
Old 8th December 2009, 19:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Even I got Michelin Primacy LC for my Civic just out of the showroom.. and to my surprise, the first 2 Michelin dealers don't have primacy LC on stock, the third one that did have it, has Dec 2008 as manufactured date.. as these tyres are imported and not much in demand (and expensive), dealer don't stock them enough.. those do, have them, are almost a year old... nevertheless I went for it... it needed a bit of convincing by the dealer though for me to accept.. but I guess, a year and half old tyres that are imported should be OK..
Old 8th December 2009, 19:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Samurai, unfortunately, you cannot do a damn thing.
You are probably right, it is very hard to make big companies like Michelin to accept any mistake. They will probably hide behind the technicality that it should be OK until 2 years. These tyres came directly from the Michelin Depot (C&F), Bangalore to the local dealer upon my order.

Quote:
See, 99.99% of people will not have a problem with these tyres. You are among that 0.01% of people. You should have checked it before oyu got it installed. You didnt, for whatever reason.
That was stupid on my part, I should have checked before it was mounted. Especially since I had noticed that they were badly stored.

Quote:
I suggest, you stop getting so technical. Put it out of your mind and just enjoy the tyres. We TBHPians have this tendency to become too technical and we dont see the real situation. Given your usage Samurai, I predict the tyres will wear out in less than three years.
However, now it is a question of my peace of mind. It is going to really bug me to drive around with those old tyres in my vehicle. I paid for new tyres, so I want new tyres.

I just ordered two new tyres and will return the two ancient beings for a loss. Michelin can sit tight with their unfair policy selling old stock for latest price. I am not going to let them spoil my peace of mind.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Samurai,

You do use the tires and your SUV to the fullest.
Why don't you buy yourself a pair of new tires but retain the old ones.
Rather than sell them at a loss. Especially if the loss is big one.

They may come in handy as snow tires (with spikes) or something like that.
Old 8th December 2009, 19:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... they are offering to replace the tyre if any defect is found within 3 years.
That sounds good - 3 years unlimited km warranty on the tyres is definitely worth it, if they offer the same in writing. What is the normal warranty offered?
Old 8th December 2009, 20:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That sounds good - 3 years unlimited km warranty on the tyres is definitely worth it, if they offer the same in writing. What is the normal warranty offered?
That is the normal warranty, 3 years from purchase date. So they are not offering anything special for buying old stock.

How many of us will buy a 18 month old car for the current price? Those two tyres don't look like they were well stored, they have some gummy substance on them. And this is not something that can be proved, so I have no recourse.

I have it parked next to the Jeep, and the Yokos on the Jeep look positively glowing even after 4-5 months of usage. The 10 Kms old Michelins look dull. I expected more from Michelin.

Tomorrow I shall click and post some snaps during day light.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is the normal warranty, 3 years from purchase date. So they are not offering anything special for buying old stock.
Oh... I was under the impression they were offering something extra in terms of warranty.

You might want to lodge a formal complaint in writing with Michelin, and escalate the issue with the Ministry of Consumer Affairs through their website. They would also advise you on how to proceed further.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

Typical Michelin. Not a chance they will honour the warranty claim later on. They will say poor roads and drivers fault not manufacturing defect.

In india they can get away with anything. If this had happened in the US they would have been sued down to their underwear for selling old tyres and endangering lives.

Samu san, Don't let the tyres go waste. I would suggest to put them on classifieds for a heavy discount. Tyres will go to someone who is on a shoestring budget and your loss will be reduced.

Most Viewed