Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 14:17   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Punctures in tubeless tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
How deep was the 2cm crack? If it was well above the tyre internal surface, then you can very well use it (as a tubed tyre), but only for city/slow speed driving. If the crack was quite deep, just a couple of mm short from the internal surface, then better keep this tyre as spare (stepny) & used it only for short distances, when you have no other option. I had 2 instances when my tyre sidewall was ruptured (torn) due to my mistake. I simply discarded the tyre & replaced it with a new one. Now I don't have to think twice before embarking on a highway drive.
I am not sure about the exact depth of the crack. Initially when i checked in a puncture shop(BP bunk) there was no leakage in this crack. But today when I took the car to MASS they were able to find the leakage. I will check the air pressure after a week to find whether the puncture is fixed or not and then decide to put a tube.
I do highway drives frequently hence as mentioned by you even if the puncture is fixed I will be using it as stepny only.

Last edited by arun_josie : 22nd February 2012 at 14:18.
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:45   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I will check the air pressure after a week to find whether the puncture is fixed or not and then decide to put a tube.
I do highway drives frequently hence as mentioned by you even if the puncture is fixed I will be using it as stepny only.
That is the best thing to do. My principle is "Never ever compromise on tyres". Even if you have the slightest hesitation, go for a new tyre. Remember tyres are the only part of the car which maintains the contact with the road. Your life is far more worthier than a couple of grands on a new tyre.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 16:03   #153
BHPian

I found that my brand new Ford Figo had a flat tyre. Hardly 1500 km from delivery, it was painful. I changed the wheel and took it for repair. The tyre repair guy found a 3" headless nail that was filed at an angle to make it very sharp. I have a memory of seeing such nails only in cities. Makes me wonder if someone goes around dropping such nails on the road. Would hanging a magnet in front of the car, attached to the bumper prevent punctures? Any ideas folks? ?
Old 6th October 2014, 17:03   #154
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up a very old thread with a question I think is relevant to this forum.

How many punctures can a tubeless tyre take before it is considered unsafe for use. One particular tyre of my A-drive has had 3 so far, off which only one was due to a nail, one was so minute that tyre shop was not sure if there was a puncture, but the tyre was loosing air regularly and the most recent one, again no nail, but there was substantial air loss and this was more easier to find. I am now beginning to wonder how much longer to use this particular tyre. Experts, please advise.
Old 8th October 2014, 13:03   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Bumping up a very old thread with a question I think is relevant to this forum.

How many punctures can a tubeless tyre take before it is considered unsafe for use. One particular tyre of my A-drive has had 3 so far, off which only one was due to a nail, one was so minute that tyre shop was not sure if there was a puncture, but the tyre was loosing air regularly and the most recent one, again no nail, but there was substantial air loss and this was more easier to find. I am now beginning to wonder how much longer to use this particular tyre. Experts, please advise.
dass,
It is not the number of punctures but the position, type and extent that matter more.
Say for example that a tyre has 3 punctures in the tread area at different positions that are easily repaired without the need of large patches, they would hardly have any effect. On the other hand a single serious puncture / tear on the sidewall would call for a replacement.
Furthermore, even on the tread, tears are more critical than pin holes.
In other cases, 2 punctures may be close by and could make for a possible replacement case if it fails repeatedly (cause the punctures to reopen).
It is also important to observe other damage a tyre may have sustained due to being driven while punctured.
There is also the case of bulges on the sidewall, wherein I feel the tyre must be replaced.
Then again, shoddy repairs may cause an unbalanced rolling and again call for replacement.
In some cases, people throw in a tube and believe all is hunky dory, but this is not the case. I would suggest that the tyre be replaced.
All said, the simple solution is to inspect the tyre properly and you will certainly find the logical answer.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 15:02   #156
BHPian

Anyone has any idea about this puncture strip?

https://paytmmall.com/puncher-strips...52D6575168-pdp

Is it worth purchasing? Do we need to just plug the hole with the strip like a band-aid?
Old 5th January 2018, 16:15   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Anyone has any idea about this puncture strip?

https://paytmmall.com/puncher-strips...52D6575168-pdp

Is it worth purchasing? Do we need to just plug the hole with the strip like a band-aid?
These look like normal plugging strips to me; the ones that you insert in the punctured hole with the tool. Not like a 'band aid'. Not sure if anything like that exists and for good.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks