Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 11:01   #61
BHPian

I too had driven with my punctured tyre on Linea for over 500Km (could be more since I drove about 1300 Km over the weekend over many bad/average state highways.

Got it repaired just today morning. They charged me Rs. 120!! That too, they didn't have to remove the wheel from the car. I drove with the steering turned fully (front wheel) and they couldn't even find the nail. I only found it. I'm definitely going to buy the kit.

BTW, I had just driven 3 kms after that (that is the distance to my office from home!). I'm experiencing some ka-tuk ka-tuk feel on steering even at the speed of 40 Kmph. Not sure if he didn't cut the plug's left over portion. Has anyone experienced this after a tubeless puncture repair?
Old 30th September 2009, 12:21   #62
BANNED

May be you need balancing. I hope you did not do much distance on a flat tyre, otherwise many things could have happened. What you should do is to periodically pump up the tyre when driving on a puncture.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:25   #63
BHPian

Dear BHPians from Hyderabad!

I am looking for a battery operated tyre inflator in Hyderabad. If anyone have got one, please let me know the address and contact details of the dealer / shop.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 1st October 2009, 09:57   #64
BHPian

In my Indigo, after I changed to tubeless tyres, I used to have a frequent leaks when vehicle was parked - tyre going fully flat. This was traced to the fact that Indigo's steel rims bend very easily. And when parked, the probability of leak increases. I resolved the problem by using tubes inside the tubeless tyres. No problems after that for few years now.
Old 1st October 2009, 10:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
May be you need balancing. I hope you did not do much distance on a flat tyre, otherwise many things could have happened. What you should do is to periodically pump up the tyre when driving on a puncture.
I did a lot of distance, but not below 22 psi at any point of time. It was going down very slowly.

I checked the tyre in the evening after office. I saw that the cement plug was bulging out. I cut them, scrapped them to even out. Now it is fine.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:22   #66
BHPian

Friends

I am so blooddy pissed with the way my tubeless tyres have been functioning.

Am glad this post has come here, i had side wall tear in my accelere (right front tyre) got the tyre replaced with another appollo accelere.

My woes dint end here - had completed my rotation of tyres on 5th of Sept as the car was 42000 km old alongwith balancing and alignment at Reliable Tyres (Oshiwara Andheri West).

The chap told me that the tyres have worn out (grips intact just 28000 kms on them) - which I am unable to see.

He said all 'The Wires' have gone (tubeless tyres with wires in them gone - is greek language to me) and would not last over 2-3 months.

I have been filling air almost every 2 days and my front right hand tyre seems to deflate every second day. I fill and check my tyre pressure and scares the **** out of me when someone at the side tells me - 'arrey tyre has punctured'

The right hand side front tyre always deflates on day two after - air filling, have dont alignment, removed puntures, done rotation - but this issue doesnt seem to get over. Luckily have not had any issues with the other 3 tyres.

Can it be possible - what Reliable Tyre guy is saying makes any sense.

Please Help!!

BTW - About 2 years ago - had driven in a ditch (Front Right Hand Tyre) but had changed to tubeless after that
Old 1st October 2009, 13:49   #67
BHPian

Hi saildrive, could the leak be due to any damage to the rim or something? If you have been troubled that much, it would be worth trying to swap the tyre with another rim and observe which one is the problem: the same tyre or the same rim.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

@saildrive, have you checked the tyre increasing the pressure to 10PSI than recommended and then by dipping in water. That will tell the cause of such a leak, either leaking through the rims or a valve leak.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:39   #69
BHPian

Thanks Opendro and Dadu

Opendro - See I have tried different tyre combinations - surprisingly I have noticed the same issue with each of the respective tyres

Dadu - I did not get what you meant by increasing pressure to 10PSI - I fill 30 tyre pressure everytime fill my tyres - the front right hand side. Also I have just checked all my tyres on 5th of September - this has been a persistent problem.

Is there any tyre guy in Mumbai who is good enough to sort this mess up for me once and for all

Do revert
Old 1st October 2009, 14:48   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Thanks Opendro and Dadu

Dadu - I did not get what you meant by increasing pressure to 10PSI - I fill 30 tyre pressure everytime fill my tyres - the front right hand side. Also I have just checked all my tyres on 5th of September - this has been a persistent problem.

Is there any tyre guy in Mumbai who is good enough to sort this mess up for me once and for all

Do revert
For the check under water, inflate to 40 and then check, even if its a pin puncture, it will show up under water.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:59   #71
BHPian

Thanks Dadu - will get it done tomorrow morning

OT - Would you know what the tyre guy meant by - 'the wires have gone' and that I can drive it for another 2-3 months.

Can this be true?
Old 1st October 2009, 16:38   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

pakana means "cooking" quite literally doesnt it?
i guess in a sense sandwiching a bit of rubber between two hotplates and turning on the heat is a sort of "cooking"-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
pakana is done by putting tube between two hotplates and do it. As pointed out by SG it is not done on tyre
Old 4th October 2009, 22:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
I just purchased this Tire Repair Kit from Metro (Cash & Carry). Kanakapura, Bangalore priced at 225/-, here are its pictures.
Hey, I too have purchased the same from Metro, Yesvanthpura. But havent got a chance to try this myself. I have seen the tire repair guy using this very easily, but I dont know how easy it would be for me when iI get a chance to use it.

Hope you have got the tire inflater too.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:54   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
Dear BHPians from Hyderabad!

I am looking for a battery operated tyre inflator in Hyderabad. If anyone have got one, please let me know the address and contact details of the dealer / shop.
I have been using them for over a decade. You should find one in any decent accessory shop - typically about Rs.800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
I am so blo***dy pissed with the way my tubeless tyres have been functioning.

The right hand side front tyre always deflates on day two after - air filling, have dont alignment, removed puntures, done rotation - but this issue doesnt seem to get over.
I had a similar problem in Bridgestone on my Accent. I finally traced it down to the seal between the bead and the rim (alloy). No real solution here!
Old 6th October 2009, 10:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Add me to your list gentlemen ! I have had two of my tubeless tyres going flat on different occasions recently. The tyre shop promptly charged me 150 bucks to fix the puncture and guess what ! The tyre starts losing pressure ever since. The same is the issue with the second tyre and this puncture was repaired at a different place. One of the affected tyres is the spare wheel now and when I check the pressure week on week, it drops by at least 10 psi. Is this normal ? I am so frustrated with all this now. Need to find a decent tubless tyre repair shop now.

Also, is there a place in Chennai where I can buy the battery operated tyre inflator ?

Most Viewed