Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 10:36   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
5. Unattended Bulge - Suppose you damage sidewall, and it gets a bulb due to the nylon inside getting cut. If the bulge is on inner side, you may not notice it. This is the weak point of the tire. So if you hit a pothole or something at speed, or generally tire gets stress, this point is prone to "tear" and tire can get a blowout.
Of all the reasons noted, this factor is most scary. But tell me Tanveer, is it easy to figure out all instances when you might hit a stone or have any other impact on the tyre, that 'might' damage your sidewall? If yes, then one could just diligently check any damage to sidewall after such impact, and avoid the occurence of point no. 5 as above.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:49   #92
Team-BHP Support

Sidewalls are the most sensitive and weak part of radial tires. Therefore bulges can happen when you go off the road onto the shoulder and your sidewall hits the hard side of the road, or there is a rock on road you miss at night.
Its best to make a visual inspection of tires now and then. Bulges are easy to spot, and make it a practice to visually inspect the tire every time you go for rotation/balancing thingy(every 5000kms)
Old 24th December 2009, 12:09   #93
BHPian

I had a puncture on the sidewall and I took it to Pratham's Maruti Service station. These people are saying that this puncture cannot be repaired. The tyre needs to be replaced. This is the first puncture I had and I saw the tyre being flat within 2 minutes. My question is that if the sidwwall of the tubeless tyre is so sensitive and it cannot be repaired, than isnt owning the tubeless tyre useless and a costly affair. I mean one puncture costing me a new tubeless tyre. Friends, please advice if someone know of a way to repair it.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:10   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Atul, you can never repair a sidewall puncture. You just have to grin and bear it.
Old 24th December 2009, 14:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
I had a puncture on the sidewall and I took it to Pratham's Maruti Service station. These people are saying that this puncture cannot be repaired. The tyre needs to be replaced. This is the first puncture I had and I saw the tyre being flat within 2 minutes. My question is that if the sidwwall of the tubeless tyre is so sensitive and it cannot be repaired, than isnt owning the tubeless tyre useless and a costly affair. I mean one puncture costing me a new tubeless tyre. Friends, please advice if someone know of a way to repair it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Atul, you can never repair a sidewall puncture. You just have to grin and bear it.
Yes that is true side wall punctures Can be repaired but are very risky. Best way to avoid or minimise such a risk of side wall puncture is to buy tyres which have rigid side walls (Read Bridgestone) rather than buy tyres that have soft sidewalls (Read Yokohama).
Old 24th December 2009, 16:49   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Yes that is true side wall punctures Can be repaired but are very risky. Best way to avoid or minimise such a risk of side wall puncture is to buy tyres which have rigid side walls (Read Bridgestone) rather than buy tyres that have soft sidewalls (Read Yokohama).
That is completely wrong. BS ER60 has sidewalls which are as hard or as soft as Yoko A drive, Michelin XM1+.

It's just the typical Indian mentality that makes people think that BS has hard sidewalls.

The Bridgestone tyres that do have hard sidewalls are crappy stuff like the S322, etc...
Old 6th March 2010, 10:50   #97
BHPian

Tube-less tyres becoming pain! What to do?

Hello guys, there is this battery problem I posted before and now a new problem cropped up. The front left tyre got punctured two days back. I took it to the puncturewala (would have traveled 5-7 kms on low pressure) There were 4 nails jammed in the tyre. He removed all of them and fixed the puncture. But the tyre is flat again. What could be the reason?

Mods - tried to search similar thread but couldn't find sorry if repeating
Old 6th March 2010, 11:37   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Hello guys, there is this battery problem I posted before and now a new problem cropped up. The front left tyre got punctured two days back. I took it to the puncturewala (would have traveled 5-7 kms on low pressure) There were 4 nails jammed in the tyre. He removed all of them and fixed the puncture. But the tyre is flat again. What could be the reason?

Mods - tried to search similar thread but couldn't find sorry if repeating
It has nothing to do with the type of tyre i.e. tubeless or tube type. If it went flat again it is due to one of 3 reasons i.e. one or more of the 4 punctures you went to him for was wasnt properly fixed, the valve is leaking OR your tyre got a new puncture. BTW what brand and model of tyres are they?

In fact it is because you had a tubeless tyre you were able to drive over to the puncturewalla albeit with low pressure. With a normal tyre/tube combo you'd have to use the spare wheel to get to him.

Cheers!
Old 6th March 2010, 11:43   #99
BHPian

Quote:
BTW what brand and model of tyres are they?
Thanks R2D2, Its a bridge-stone, new one for my i-10.

What do you think should I go the same guy (a very small tyre puncturewala) or a good shop?
Old 6th March 2010, 11:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

More details pls.
What tire ?
Pics ?
Old 6th March 2010, 12:08   #101
Senior - BHPian

Tubless tyres are being repaired by your local roadside ouncturewala these days!

DO NOT DO IT!

get your tubeless tyres repaired from your tyre dealer only!
Old 6th March 2010, 14:14   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Thanks R2D2, Its a bridge-stone, new one for my i-10.

What do you think should I go the same guy (a very small tyre puncturewala) or a good shop?
Bridgestones are pretty hardy tyres. You must be having one of the S or B series fitted on your car.

Since you're in Pune I would suggest you always visit a known repair shop closest to the area where you stay or office is. Suggestions are Darshan tyres (FC Road & GPO), Lokmanya tyres (Karve Road), United Tyrekraft (Maal Dhakka). Dont get tubeless tyres fixed by a roadside tyre walla.

Cheers!
Old 6th March 2010, 15:53   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Tubless tyres are being repaired by your local roadside ouncturewala these days!

DO NOT DO IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Dont get tubeless tyres fixed by a roadside tyre walla.
I dont understand, why not ? As long as he too does the same process it shouldnt be a problem I suppose and moreover I have my own kit. I would definitely give it a try when it happens to me.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:23   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I dont understand, why not ? As long as he too does the same process it shouldnt be a problem I suppose and moreover I have my own kit. I would definitely give it a try when it happens to me.
Well Ranjith, I can recall a thread that was being discussed here on stealing car logos; the price of car logo with dealer was atleast 3-4 time higher than the one available locally; so ppl were asking why's the difference in the price when the logo is the same; we found the answer that the price was not for the logo but for the paste; the OE's come with 3M paste compared or ordinary paste supplied by local dealer.

Even if you provide your own kit, the guy should be knowing how much of materials to use, some tips that his own experience has taught & so on. Hope you got the difference.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:55   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well Ranjith, I can recall a thread that was being discussed here on stealing car logos; the price of car logo with dealer was atleast 3-4 time higher than the one available locally; so ppl were asking why's the difference in the price when the logo is the same; we found the answer that the price was not for the logo but for the paste; the OE's come with 3M paste compared or ordinary paste supplied by local dealer.

Even if you provide your own kit, the guy should be knowing how much of materials to use, some tips that his own experience has taught & so on. Hope you got the difference.
Yeah I got the point. But then who knows I have had worse experiences with the dealers (not everyone of them have properly skilled or trained personnel)

Road side walas may be skilled enough just because of the number of cars he attends to ( I m meaning practice makes man perfect )
And as far as the Car logo goes 3M glue didnt work that effectively too aint it, else it wouldnt have been stolen that easily.

But I got your point dont misunderstand me I just typed the whole thing on a lighter note trying to defend myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks