Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 23:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

@ulhas.ahirrao,

Apart from the reasons given by R2D2 the road side guy may have damaged the beading on your tire while taking it off or putting it back on. As he would have used the usual tools of the trade including the longish iron bar with a flat end and sharp edges. In a tubeless tire that beading is all that seals the sir in. The tyre changing machine also has something similar but the front edge and the corners are rounded off to prevent this. He could also have dented/bent the rim of the wheel while hammering the tire into place, that however is very rare.

I do hope for your sake that one of the reasons given by R2D2 is the cause.

@rranjith_kum
The local adhesive may dry up due to the heat and cause the logo to fall of OR the adhesive may leech below the top coat of the paint and next time the logo is pried off it may peel the paint along with it. 3M adhesive allows the logo to cum off without damaging the paint.

Last edited by khoj : 6th March 2010 at 23:25.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:08   #107
BANNED

hey i got new tires for my car and they are tubeless but the tubes in my old tires were perfect so i wasn't in a mood for selling it so they person from whom i got my tires fixed put the tube in the tubeless tires itself and told that this will increase the life of the tire .. try that if it works
Old 7th March 2010, 15:51   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing.commander View Post
hey i got new tires for my car and they are tubeless but the tubes in my old tires were perfect so i wasn't in a mood for selling it so they person from whom i got my tires fixed put the tube in the tubeless tires itself and told that this will increase the life of the tire .. try that if it works
Even I have heard of people saying this. But Tube inside a tubeless tire should be avoided. In a tubeless tire when we put the tube inside there will be a lot of friction between the tube and the tire. All this friction is converted into heat. A tubeless tire is designed in a different way compared to the tube typed tire.
this thread will be in detail
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...less-tyre.html
Old 7th March 2010, 18:26   #109
Senior - BHPian

There are 5 Seal-Sticks in a Puncture Repair Kit. Just use Half of a Single Stick.
I too use Half of A Stick at a time for Indigo and Xylo.
Old 7th March 2010, 19:47   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Road side walas may be skilled enough just because of the number of cars he attends to ( I m meaning practice makes man perfect )
True Ranjith, I agree with this, sometimes the roadside guy proves better than company trained mechs. I've experienced this too

Quote:
And as far as the Car logo goes 3M glue didnt work that effectively too aint it, else it wouldnt have been stolen that easily.
Well, that's not the case, the thiefs just rip the logo & they don't care whether they break the car & they're skilled in that profession.

Quote:
But I got your point dont misunderstand me I just typed the whole thing on a lighter note trying to defend myself.
- No problem bud.
Old 7th March 2010, 19:56   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Apart from the reasons given by R2D2 the road side guy may have damaged the beading on your tire while taking it off or putting it back on. As he would have used the usual tools of the trade including the longish iron bar with a flat end and sharp edges. In a tubeless tire that beading is all that seals the sir in. The tyre changing machine also has something similar but the front edge and the corners are rounded off to prevent this. He could also have dented/bent the rim of the wheel while hammering the tire into place, that however is very rare.
Why would they unmount and remount the tyre from the rim in case of puncture? Then you have to worry about balancing it too.
Old 8th March 2010, 01:16   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing.commander View Post
they person from whom i got my tires fixed put the tube in the tubeless tires itself and told that this will increase the life of the tire .. try that if it works
I remember reading somewhere that this should be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why would they unmount and remount the tyre from the rim in case of puncture? Then you have to worry about balancing it too.
Hmmm.. if I recall correctly every time my vehicle's tubeless tires have been fixed for punctures the repair guys have cut and filed out the protruding plug to match the inside surface of the tire. This is at different establishments ranging from proper shops to road side guys.

As for balancing, I mark the positions of of the valve and the weights in relation to their corresponding positions on the rubber and then take care to get the tire mounted accordingly once it is done. This has always worked, even with front tires.

Last edited by khoj : 8th March 2010 at 01:19.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

Katana or Wand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
@ Samurai

Yesterday I got ready to drive out and lo behold the front Left tire is flat. Got the spare on and drove to the local tyre shop. Forget about taking the tyre off the rim the puncture gang leader does not even bother to cut of the extra length of the plug on the outer surface, I had to force him to trim it.

Left me wondering, the same shop the same repair guy what a difference from the early days read early 2000s when he joined this shop and explained to me the perils of not trimming the plugs on the then newly introduced Bridgestone Donuts.

I was wondering Samurai is that a Katana that you are swishing or a Black Magic wand??

Last edited by khoj : 10th March 2010 at 23:04.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:29   #114
Team-BHP Support

If you see closely, you can notice the Kikou and the Saya. So, make your guess.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:28   #115
BHPian

Here's a link on DIY Tubeless tyre repair.
Source : The Tubeless Revolution - Repairing Punctures: A Breeze on Tubeless Tyres

I had a puncture a coupla days back (a 1" bolt).Went to an authorised Bridgestone dealer and he followed the same procedure as mentioned in the link. Is it necessary to trim the protruding plug? The plugs he had were of Ventura or some make,Made in USA.The cement was by Omni. He charged me Rs.150.

Link source : www.indiacar.com
Old 11th March 2010, 12:30   #116
Team-BHP Support

There is a detailed guide in the Team-bhp articles section too!
Old 15th March 2010, 20:08   #117
BHPian

Drove around on a punctured tyre! Now Help Needed!!

Hi Folks,
I drive an NHC and I 'didnt realise' today morning that I had a flat rear left tyre (Tubeless) and so drove the 7 Kms to work on the flat tyre!! The car did feel a bit sluggish but it just didnt feel that bad. There was this whoopy sound but Ignored that too!!

Anyways, parked the car at work and thankfully spotted the flat when i got back to it in the evening. Replaced with the spare. Now my worries are:

1.Would the tyre have been damaged in the drive? The drive is about 7 Kms on a mostly-smooth road and took about 20 mins. And I didnt drive beyond 50-60 Kph.

2.How can I tell if the tyre is damaged or do i rely on the puncture-repair guys advice? I want to be 100% sure about this damage bit to avoid a burst while driving in the future!!

3.This is the 5th puncture I've had in 6 weeks across 3 tyres. I dont go through any specific zone which might cause a puncture, just simple city roads. While it could be plain bad luck, I do cross this puncture shop everyday. And now tempted to think if the chap actually plots a puncture by throwing stuff outside his shop! Is something like this possible / prevalent? Maybe so many punctures have just got me suspicious about everything around

Am yet to take the tyre for repair because i got back a touch late. Will do that in the morning. Attached are some pics of both sides of the flat tyre if they can be of any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Punctures in tubeless tyres.-tyre-001a.jpg  

Punctures in tubeless tyres.-tyre-002a.jpg  

Punctures in tubeless tyres.-tyre-003a.jpg  

Punctures in tubeless tyres.-tyre-004a.jpg  

Old 11th April 2010, 13:09   #118
BHPian

Query on Tyre Repair Kits

Guys,

Can anyone suggest a good brand in Tyre (puncture) Repair Kits (plug type)?! Also, is there any shelf life of these kits as in, they cannot be used if lying unused over certain period of time?
Got a rude shock today when I took my deflated tyre to the local puncture wala (only after making sure he could repair a tubeless tyre) and found no less than 5 punctures. glass pieces, nails, small screws et al!
Looking at how the tyre wala fixed it with the repair kit, I am planning to get one myself use it as a DIY.

Thanks,

PS: Also, please suggest what kindof pump (battery operated or otherwise) would we ideal for a DIY job.

Last edited by avinash_m : 11th April 2010 at 13:11. Reason: Forgot to add another query
Old 12th April 2010, 17:01   #119
Senior - BHPian

Seek - While there is some amount of damage to the sidewall (You can see the bar running in between where the markings have been rubbed off) it doesn't seem to have failed completely. Best way would be to dismount the tyre off the wheel and check the sidewall on both sides to see that there is no through and through damage.

If yes, then you have no option but to replace the tyre. If not, then I would advise using this only as a spare.

And about the frequent punctures, is it on one particular tyre or different tyres??
Old 12th April 2010, 17:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Can anyone suggest a good brand in Tyre (puncture) Repair Kits (plug type)?
Have seen kits by 'OMNI' in pune, check what's available at tyre shops in mumbai. Normally, puncture repair strips can be used for a year or so.

Quote:
PS: Also, please suggest what kindof pump (battery operated or otherwise) would we ideal for a DIY job.
Check what's available in reliable tyre shop in your area, I use one by 'LIMI'. Michelin has a portable compressor around Rs. 3000-3500.

DIY job: Hope you are aware of this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-puncture.html

Most Viewed