Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 10:23   #76
Team-BHP Support

Sidewall damages are generally very difficult to fix. They can keep opening up even after the fix. I have a sidewall damaged tyre on the GV which I keep as spare. But I do have inflator with me.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:29   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I finally traced it down to the seal between the bead and the rim (alloy). No real solution here!
I have seen people in tire shops applying some solution on beads before mounting tires onto alloys. I am not so sure, but as far as I remember when I asked him about the purpose, he told me that it seals the gap in between. It could also be a substitute for soap water used for lubrication during mounting process, again not sure.
Old 6th October 2009, 13:06   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Santosh,

That is called tyre mounting paste. What it basically does is to lubricate the rubber beading so that it sits perfectly on the rim. Not to seal the gap or any such thing.

Most tyre shops end up using soap water which basicallydoes more harm than good to the alloy wheel and the rubber of the tyre.
Old 6th October 2009, 14:10   #79
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, look at "pink panther" product in this page: The TYRE EQUIPMENT COMPANY Ltd TYRE MOUNTING & DEMOUNTING COMPOUNDS, LUBRICANTS, & GREASE

It does seem to be meant to seal gaps between tyres and rims/alloys. I guess something similar may be available locally (at least the guy might have applied such a solution on my tyres).
Old 6th October 2009, 14:22   #80
BHPian

One question on the same topic. I had a puncture couple of days ago (to be honest the nail was happily lodged inside the tyre for 2weeks) . I had the puncture repaired , the guy put the sticky thing on the puncture and I switched the punctured tyre with the stepney. So now the repaired tyre is acting as a stepney. Is that a good practice or do we need to use the punctured tyre so that the gum spreads evenly over the punture hole and the weight of the tyre and car sqaushes it place.

--Vikrant
Old 6th October 2009, 14:57   #81
Senior - BHPian

@ vikrantj: One should use repaired tyre.

a. If not used, one would not know whether puncture has sealed correctly or not. And would be surprised to find deflated spare tyre in case of emergency.

b. Even tyre wear if one is following tyre rotation strictly. E.g. One tyre undergoes puncture repair at 3000 Kms and gets replaced with spare tyre. When one rotates tyres at 5000 Kms, three tyres would be run for 5000 Kms whereas one would have run for only 2000 Kms.

And, before you use repaired tyre, please carry out wheel balancing on that tyre.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:14   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Nikhil, look at "pink panther" product in this page: The TYRE EQUIPMENT COMPANY Ltd TYRE MOUNTING & DEMOUNTING COMPOUNDS, LUBRICANTS, & GREASE

It does seem to be meant to seal gaps between tyres and rims/alloys. I guess something similar may be available locally (at least the guy might have applied such a solution on my tyres).
Am p[retty sure stuff like this isnt used here! People try to save money everywhere. Tyre mounting paste is cheaper than that and people still dont use it! They prefer the cheap solution. Water + soap.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:49   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sidewall damages are generally very difficult to fix. They can keep opening up even after the fix. I have a sidewall damaged tyre on the GV which I keep as spare. But I do have inflator with me.
As far as I know trying to fix sidewall damage is not recommended - but then Mera Bharat Mahan.

In a radial the sidewall is particularly soft and delicate (all plies parallel) so it is definitely verboten.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:15   #84
BHPian

fitting tube inside a tubeless tire and using the tire

Recently I had a second puncture on my Tubeless tyre (MRF Tyre for SWIFT VXI). The tyre repair mechanic insisted on putting a tube in the tire (stating that it is difficult to repair a second puncture on a tubeless tyre and the repair will not last long).

Was this a right thing to do? Will putting a tube in the tyre cause damage to the tyre?

Since I was not that comfortable with this, I asked him to fit the stepny and this repaired tyre is currently my stepny

As I am planning to go on a long drive (Chennai - Trivandrum) sometime next month, will it be ok to have this reparied tyre for a stepny or should I buy a new tyre? Also, the mechanic mentioned that this repaired tyre can be used only for the rear wheels - is that so ?

Please let me know.
Old 17th October 2009, 11:30   #85
BHPian

what's so risky about the second puncture, unless the 2nd puncture has happened at the previous puncture. Even in such case I think it can be repaired. may be little more skill required.
Old 19th October 2009, 11:01   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
Recently I had a second puncture on my Tubeless tyre (MRF Tyre for SWIFT VXI). The tyre repair mechanic insisted on putting a tube in the tire (stating that it is difficult to repair a second puncture on a tubeless tyre and the repair will not last long).

Was this a right thing to do? Will putting a tube in the tyre cause damage to the tyre?
a. There is nor bar against a tubeless tyre with two repairs - unless they happen to overlap or something which makes the repair unsafe.

b. Putting a tube in a tubeless tyre is perfectly safe.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:53   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
Hey, I too have purchased the same from Metro, Yesvanthpura. But havent got a chance to try this myself. I have seen the tire repair guy using this very easily, but I dont know how easy it would be for me when iI get a chance to use it.

Hope you have got the tire inflater too.
I too need one. I tried few shops in Kormangla but was not able to get one. Anyone help me out to locate the shop where I can find. I don't have card to go and buy things from Metro :(
Old 27th October 2009, 23:30   #88
BHPian

Guys, talking of punctures in tubeless tyres, I am a bit concerned after hearing of a recent incident in which a tubeless tyre burst of a month-old Scorpio and the car turned at speed of 90kmph, killing some passengers and other victims. The possible explanations offered were that either a puncture caused the tyre to burst, or the tyre was overinflated.

I know so many of you use tubeless tyres- is there any similar incident you've heard or read, or is this something that I need to be worried? My big worry is having a nail lodged inside the tyre doing something terrible during an interstate highway journey, when my Santro is really pushed to its limits (140kmph types).
Old 28th October 2009, 10:07   #89
BANNED

Well flats/deflation incidents are far more common in tubed tyres than in tubeless. Also, in general a tubeless tyre does not deflate rapidly. The incident in question could have happened due to the vehicle hitting a curb at high speed, badly damaging the im, and then an explosive deflation occurred. You can be the state would almost certainly have been as bad with a tubed tyre. Unless it was a cae of tyre failure preceding the accident.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:20   #90
Team-BHP Support

Yes tubed tires are more prone to blowouts.
In case of tubeless blowouts can be due to
1. Gross overinflation (for example cold tire pressure of 45PSI, when the tire rating says max 40PSI)
2. Underinflation (For example when mfr says 30PSI and you fill in 26PSI and rip on highway
3. Running over speed., for example running a 100kmph rated tire at 140kmph continuously
4. Debris on road - which is larger than your standard nail. These can lead to big tear in the tire as opposed to pinpoint puncture in the tire.
5. Unattended Bulge - Suppose you damage sidewall, and it gets a bulb due to the nylon inside getting cut. If the bulge is on inner side, you may not notice it. This is the weak point of the tire. So if you hit a pothole or something at speed, or generally tire gets stress, this point is prone to "tear" and tire can get a blowout.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks