Continental 1 2.78%
MRF 2 5.56%
Others 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Tyre with Most Complaints

Well lets get to see which manufacturers tyre get most complaints among bhpians. Please post only if you have first hand experience or know for sure about one of your friends/family who had an issue. Lets keep out all the friends friends an cousins uncles

Please post only about a complaint that has lead to need for a change of tyre. Lets not include complaints on less grip, less braking,more noise etc.

PS: Hope i have included major brands available. MODS Please add any other maor brand if i ahve missed out any.

Last edited by gemithomas : 2nd January 2010 at 11:48.
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bridgestone 145/70 R13
Two of these tyres at different occassions burst out due to heat.

They had run for about 15k kms each and it was premature.
The car used-Fiat Uno 1.2 ELX.

HAve changed them with similar spec Good year tyres and they are running better.

the stock Uno tyres are 145/80R14 but difficult to source though.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Gemithomas: I think this poll will give a skewed comparison.

1. People will have issues with tires that they use. So if for example I use BS or Michs I can only complain about those. That does not mean others do not have issues.

2. Its more subjective as well. E.g. BS are prone to punctures. New BS are tubeless so the poll shows inconsistent result.

3. Michs are softer and have perfect ride quality and helps noise reduction. Still many have issues with sidewalls. Now how do you compare what statistics say?

4. Most T-Bhpian change the footwear to BS/Yoko/Michs/GY and that too the better onces - performance oriented. How will that help others reading the stats? e.g. Michs Primacy LC might have issues that XM1+ do not. I mean the family within the group.

IMHO: Great intention but I do not see value.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gemi
The poll and parameters of the tire issue reported by members need to be little more specific else it will end up misleading people.
For eg, if u see arnabchak's post above, it says 2 bridgestone tires burst out but don't know what model or was it tube type or tubeless? Bridgestone has varieties of tires, some are good, some are bad.. But if any novice reader may never buy bridgestone tires after reading that.

Your initiative is good but i'm not sure what will be the conclusion.

Yoko s drives have so many bad reviews regarding its performance (especially on diesel n fast cars) but has performed very well for some ppl.
Similarly, Michelins are brilliant in terms of performance but too many sidewall issues. IIRC even Ishan had got bulges on 3michelins on his OHC. lol
Bridgestone has mixed reviews from horrible back breaking ride quality to tire busts and they also have turanzasER60s which IMO is the best tire for Indian roads.

Now tell me what tire would u buy

Last edited by kpzen : 2nd January 2010 at 13:01.
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well I had Goodyear GPS2 (tube type) 165/65 R13 tyres that came OEM with my Indica. Bad road grip, bad handling, and were a puncture magnet.

Now changed to Yoko A-Drives of the same size. Very very good tyres.
Old 2nd January 2010, 14:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
@Gemithomas: I think this poll will give a skewed comparison.

1. People will have issues with tires that they use. So if for example I use BS or Michs I can only complain about those. That does not mean others do not have issues.

Very true. But dont you think that very aspect will be part and parcel of every poll you make where you compare two or more different things.

I have clearly mentioned in the title that its to give an idea about the tire with most complaints. If One brand is used by most people and that particular brand has most complaints. Even that is worth knowing. Thats what i feel.

2. Its more subjective as well. E.g. BS are prone to punctures. New BS are tubeless so the poll shows inconsistent result.
I have clearly mentioned in bold that we should only include complaints that has led to a tyre change. Even if it is too many punchers or too less grip that he is unable to continue with that brand is it not worth knowing

3. Michs are softer and have perfect ride quality and helps noise reduction. Still many have issues with sidewalls. Now how do you compare what statistics say?

Well. Thats an interesting thing. If you have to change the tyre prematurely due to sidewall issues i would like to question the concept of "Comfort". How many buyers would want to forget their 'mental comfort' for the claimed 'physical comfort' while choosing a tyre.

4. Most T-Bhpian change the footwear to BS/Yoko/Michs/GY and that too the better onces - performance oriented. How will that help others reading the stats? e.g. Michs Primacy LC might have issues that XM1+ do not. I mean the family within the group.

Agree with you. I believe there are very specific threads here comparing specific tyres within and among brands. While creating this thread i thought of having an overall view.

I see it like this. If most people say that they have issues with one particular brand it just means that the most sought after tyre from this brand is haing issues . Now if it is about one particular tyre or not could be seen in the posts they make if someone is so much interested in knowing. I did not want to list down the specific tyres here since it would be an very exhausting list

IMHO: Great intention but I do not see value.

Thanks for the HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Gemi
The poll and parameters of the tire issue reported by members need to be little more specific else it will end up misleading people.
For eg, if u see arnabchak's post above, it says 2 bridgestone tires burst out but don't know what model or was it tube type or tubeless? Bridgestone has varieties of tires, some are good, some are bad.. But if any novice reader may never buy bridgestone tires after reading that.

Yoko s drives have so many bad reviews regarding its performance (especially on diesel n fast cars) but has performed very well for some ppl.
Similarly, Michelins are brilliant in terms of performance but too many sidewall issues. IIRC even Ishan had got bulges on 3michelins on his OHC. lol
Bridgestone has mixed reviews from horrible back breaking ride quality to tire busts and they also have turanzasER60s which IMO is the best tire for Indian roads.

Now tell me what tire would u buy
KP, If the thread becomes red hot with going into many pages over a short time my instinct says it would be time to close this thread. If we get REAL ownership stories here i think it would be a very limited number of posts unless there is something terribly wrong with the quality of tyres in our country. About a novice not buying a particular brand after reading this poll. Well it depends on if he takes a decision right after seeing this poll or after reading through the posts and other specific tyre threads on this / other forum. The very fact that ishan got bulges on 3 of his mich's and many other threads that i see on this forum about this brand calls for an ALERT! on the brand whether it is just one particular tyre model or all.

This thread is not intended and would not be the bible of tyre brands. Hope i am not thinking wrong.
Old 2nd January 2010, 14:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
KP, If the thread becomes red hot with going into many pages over a short time my instinct says it would be time to close this thread. If we get REAL ownership stories here i think it would be a very limited number of posts unless there is something terribly wrong with the quality of tyres in our country. About a novice not buying a particular brand after reading this poll. Well it depends on if he takes a decision right after seeing this poll or after reading through the posts and other specific tyre threads on this / other forum.

This thread is not intended and would not be the bible of tyre brands. Hope i am not thinking wrong.
Guys, why start the trumpet-blowing against the theme, even before genuine reviews have started filtering in?

I support Gemi on the fact that this thread should not be read in isolation, but in conjunction with the other specific tyre threads. When one goes to make an investment, he should be warned as much about the benefits as about the bad experiences others have had. This thread should be read as a statistical trend, not as a final verdict.

My opposition to Goodyear didnt come immediately after buying those tires, or from not owning any other brand. Across all the cars we've owned, we've shod them with atleast 8 brands of tyres - Indian and foreign. If one stood out as being particularly bad (as did the GPS2s after 4 years and 20K kms of painful ownership) -they deserve to be highlighted as a warning!

But yes, maybe one should add "Actual ownership experiences only, not hearsay" to the end of the thread title"!

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 2nd January 2010 at 14:29.
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Gemi
One suggestion!
How about making a clear precise format like this.

Example:
Brand- Bridgestone
Model- B390
Kms done/time period since the purchase -5000kms/6months
Size- 165/65-13
Car/type - Zen /Hatchback

Issue- sidewall crack

No of tires affected- One
Final outcome (repaired/replaced )- replaced
Warranty claimed- (Y/N) N
Location- Delhi
Dealer - Khan tires
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:16   #9
BHPian

I had a bad experience with bridgestone turanza er60,had them in front stock size of 145/80/r12,tubeless....wore off in 17000kms,complained to bridgestone and the enginner came,checked and replaced the tyres as they were too bouncy.Again the replaced tyres wore off,i was told tht they have worn off due to use on concrete roads......

After tht i went for the cheapest jk ultima,used them and had a tough time with the noisy tyres,currently am running on yokohama and they seem ok,i spoke to a person who was usuing yokohama and he said his tyres have lasted for 70k kms,so i decided to take the plunge.

Lets hope this ones last for a long time..
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:34   #10
BANNED

Goodyear GPS2 is a big bad tyre in my books .Have faced known of 5 instances of these tyres and the tyre wallahs also swear by the problems with these tyres.
These tyres tend t develop uneven wear pattern due to which thup-thup sound starts coming .

Regards
Old 2nd January 2010, 17:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Are we to include bike tyres as well? If not, the only car tyres I have ever used are Ceat (my old Dolphin) and MRF ZVTS (new Alto). No complaints with either of them.

I have a lot of experience with bike tyres though. The worst I had were Srichakra on my Shogun. Rapid,uneven wear and poor braking. Squealed irritatingly as well. Dunlop and Ceat belong in the OK category. The best are MRF Nylogrips.
Old 2nd January 2010, 18:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gemi
One suggestion!
How about making a clear precise format like this.

Example:
Brand- Bridgestone
Model- B390
Kms done/time period since the purchase -5000kms/6months
Size- 165/65-13
Car/type - Zen /Hatchback

Issue- sidewall crack

No of tires affected- One
Final outcome (repaired/replaced )- replaced
Warranty claimed- (Y/N) N
Location- Delhi
Dealer - Khan tires
Great Idea. It would be really good if everyone mentioned about their polling option in this format. Anyway of adding this to the first/second post of this thread?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks