Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you had Issues with your Michelin tyres?
Yes (Bulges, premature tyre wear, frequent punctures etc) 50 17.12%
No. They're quite problem free 242 82.88%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 00:59   #136
BHPian

Re: Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote)

I have a swift vdi done 89000kms. I changed to XM1+ as soon as i took delivery.
My 185/70/14 XM1 lasted 62,000kms + 3 track days. The front 2 tyres had some bad cuts/chips on the inner side after the last track day, hence i had to change. Otherwise would have gotten another 10k kms out of them.

Iam currently running 195/60/15 Primacy LC on alloy rims for the past 26k kms. Happy with the tyre.

Overall iam very happy with Michelin and would even say that they are worth the premium.

Cheers
Old 18th December 2012, 08:27   #137
Team-BHP Support

I am using Michelins (Primacy LC) on my Civic and Bridgestones on my City. Acutally there's a bit of truth to both options you've listed. On the whole the tyres are fabulous, the ride quality is plush, road noise very low and the grip is great. I would buy Michelins all over again. Its equally a reality that due to their softer compound, they are a little more prone to abuse so you have to be careful using them to avoid cuts, sidewall damage etc even when you've taken the other usual precautions like tyre pressure etc. My "perception" is that in certain similar situation abuse scenarios, the Michelins might be more sensitive.

Having said that, if you are a normal careful user, the tyres don't present any problems whatsoever, and I say this despite the horrid road conditions of Mumbai that they are put through.

Having recently put Bridgestones on my City, my next replacement on the Civic will certainly be Michelins. They just feel plusher on the ride quality while the Bridgestones feel just a bit harder and stiffer. (Sorry I don't mean this to be an M vs. B thread - I'm overall quite pleased with the Bridgestones as well and for most part they are doing the job I expected them to do quite satisfactorily).

Cheers
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 10:44   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Whatever man, you may be in US but still those tyres clocked 90K ??
Either you are trying poora paisa vasool or you are trying to reach inside wall of tyre(joking).

Jokes apart but would certainly like to know what kind of surface you drove for 90K??
Secondly, with 4+ years of rubber age, plus with 90K clocked; I seriously think you are undermining yours and others safety. Forgive me if I am being rude.
no paisa vasool, no nothing, of that sort.

I must have probably done 50% highways and rest in city.
My daily office drive is 60kms up and down.

I have a decent driving history, I have not had a incident/event in my 15 years of driving different cars. I drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Man, you're a legend. I have never heard any tyre last for so long and you still say you've around 20k left on them.

Its hard to believe that but won't say its not true either.
Legend or no legend, that is the truth. There are few t-bhpians who can vouch for my honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
That's awesome man, One request please, Can we have pictures of tyres in current state. I would love to see them, Please

sure, will upload when i get some time.

Thanks!
Sameer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Hey as far as I know in the best of roads too for example in countries like Singapore or Dubai tyres don't last more than 60k or even 70k at the max and you are saying that you have driven 90000kms in 4 years and still can do 20000kms more? Seems like you have added another '0' by mistake. For the pathetic state of our roads doing anything more than 50k kms on the tyre is like doing more harm to your car suspension! Let us all see those lucky pair of tyres!
I have not driven in Singapore, Dubai, so would not know.
no zero by mistake , I would not be posting if it had done 9K.
I completely agree with you on the state of our roads, though.
Sure please wait for the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
90k is the highest I've heard so far! I assume you are speaking about a set of 5 tyres here, rotated properly at regular intervals.

You are right, I bought 5 tyres and had rotated them at regular intervals.

60k-70k is not that difficult to achieve with a set of 5 tyres. Even the OEM MRF tyres that came in my '95 Zen lasted till 65000 km on the Kerala roads. When we consider a set of 5 tyres rotated regularly, each tyre does the duty only for 80% of the total km covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Wow, 90K kms done and another 20 K kms life in your Michelin tyres? This is amazing.

I had done 73K kms on my Fusion with Good Year shoes on them and i thought i was a good driver?! I know how bad they were on the road.

Are you sure no body at home exchanged those tyres with Brands new ones while you were away in USA?
I am smiling as I write, with all your jokes.
Seriously, why is it so hard for all of us to believe what I am saying?

Cheers! have fun

Note from Team-bhp support: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post. Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th December 2012 at 13:49. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 18th December 2012, 12:21   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Whatever man, you may be in US but still those tyres clocked 90K ??
=== I seriously think you are undermining yours and others safety. Forgive me if I am being rude.
got your last message wrong. I recently went for a 700 kms trip on the highway and I still don't think the tyres were jeopardizing braking, steer control.

Thanks for the advice, will keep in mind.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:40   #140
BHPian

My factory supplied tubeless Bridgestones on my 2010 Innova VX need replacement. Have been looking to replace them with Michelins. I would appreciate any feedback on models and pricing.

Michelin website has suggested Primacy LC (expensive) and the Energy XM2.
Local dealer here has quoted Rs 6,900 each but has not specified the model.

Have always had great regard for Michelins when I used to live in the USA. Was a little thrown off when I saw this thread. I hope that its not too bad an experience for everyone.
Old 29th December 2012, 16:24   #141
BHPian

I had replaced stock eagle NCT in my JettaTDI with michelin mainly for low driving noise on highways. Done 20K, no issues.
Old 29th December 2012, 19:27   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
My factory supplied tubeless Bridgestones on my 2010 Innova VX need replacement. Have been looking to replace them with Michelins. I would appreciate any feedback on models and pricing.

Michelin website has suggested Primacy LC (expensive) and the Energy XM2.
Local dealer here has quoted Rs 6,900 each but has not specified the model.

Have always had great regard for Michelins when I used to live in the USA. Was a little thrown off when I saw this thread. I hope that its not too bad an experience for everyone.

In case you generally drive on good roads you could also check out Yokohama c.drives that will grip better than either of the Michelins you suggest with similar ride quality.
Old 29th December 2012, 20:17   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
In case you generally drive on good roads you could also check out Yokohama c.drives that will grip better than either of the Michelins you suggest with similar ride quality.
Thanks Buffetfan but I wish I had read your post just a little earlier. I pulled the trigger on the Energy XM2 this afternoon after going to Minister Road. Got them for Rs 6,000 each (replaced all 5 wheels) plus Rs 950 for wheel balancing + wheel alignment.

Yokohama's are a brand I've read much about but never used so would have been a little reluctant to try them out. The dealer was pretty enthusiastic about the Michelins so lets hope they work out.
Old 29th December 2012, 20:43   #144
Senior - BHPian

Good that you didn't go for Yokos. Check thread of Manuuj (hope that's the handle) of his experience with Yokos on his fortuner.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 21:01   #145
BHPian

Keeping my fingers crossed about this purchase. Just went by what was ultimately some (blind?) faith in the brand. I was in no mood to go back to Bridgestones which came with the car. According to the dealer I've got the 2012 stock supply which has got some reinforcement for Indian road conditions. Lets hope this isn't something I will regret.
Old 30th December 2012, 09:50   #146
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This my my third set of Michelin. First two sets are for my previously owned swift Vxi, which are 185/** R14 and now for my on new ZDI, it is PLC 195/** R15, I have never had any issues, in last 6 years. Three days back returned from Trivandrum with non stop drive of 10 hours, PLC did a very good job.
Old 16th January 2013, 00:39   #147
BHPian

I drive two cars.
The lighter one have 155/65 R13 Michelin XM1 + . These are my second set and I got them around previous November,i e in 2011. Yesterday I was going at about 90+ kmph when all the cars in front of me started braking sharply, due to a sudden bad patch on the otherwise busy road. I on the other hand was looking at a taxi beside me when at the last moment I looked at the front and instantly braked hard. My non-ABS car did not screech,shudder etc. It just stopped at one go without a little fuss.If it wasn't for the exceptionally good Michelins, I would have banged hard the rear of the car in front. I upgraded to Michelins from MRF ZVTS

On my bigger car, I have very recently fitted 195/60 R15 Michelin Primacy LC and am quite happy with its performance till date, although am bit worried about its infamous soft side wall. Let us see. I changed to Michelins from MRF ZVTV.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:43   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post

On my bigger car, I have very recently fitted 195/60 R15 Michelin Primacy LC and am quite happy with its performance till date, although am bit worried about its infamous soft side wall. Let us see. I changed to Michelins from MRF ZVTV.
Champ, I was considering the Primacy but baulked at the price. How much did you pay for yours?
Old 4th February 2013, 15:44   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

My car rides on Michelin XM1+. They replaced the OEM JK Tyres which were noisy and had poor grip on any surface. Had become pretty uncomfortable too due to rubber turning hard.

The day I changed to Michelin, it was probably one of the best decisions that I took for my car & for myself. For eg. I was just back from a 700+ km drive with speeds as much as 130 kmph. Absolutely no noise from the tyres but the main point: at an instance, I had to brake hard while I was doing about 100 kmph. & the car felt like it has stuck to the ground. THe braking was confidence inspiring with no locking of wheels. My vehicle does not have an ABS but really the wheels did not lock. I have been involved in an accident due to locking wheels on JK tyres in past.
So, I really do not care if they run out a bit too quickly than most Indian hard rubbers, but my next set will be Michelins too. They are not only silent, they have unmatchable grip on road by most Indian rubbers sold which means they add to the safety.

This is my experience with Michelin.

Last edited by saket77 : 4th February 2013 at 15:46.
Old 4th February 2013, 20:42   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Nearly 3 years (since Mar 2010) of using Michelin Primacy LCs on my car. And I love them. They replaced the OEM Bridgestone Turanza ER300s after a sidewall issue. Replacements will be Michelin.

In fact which ever car I buy in the future will have Michelins installed on them...at the factory or by me post delivery.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th February 2013 at 20:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks