Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you had Issues with your Michelin tyres?
Yes (Bulges, premature tyre wear, frequent punctures etc) 50 17.12%
No. They're quite problem free 242 82.88%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 11:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

18K on PP2's on the Audi - great tyres !! Though they wear out if you are a speed demon. LOL LOL

Cheers
Old 17th January 2010, 12:18   #62
BHPian

Have used Mich XM1 185/70R13 on the Baleno since last three years, and covered 26,000 km on them. I align, balance and rotate every 5000 km, using five tyres. Absolutely no problems this far, not even a puncture!

Last edited by filcord : 17th January 2010 at 12:22.
Old 17th January 2010, 15:34   #63
Team-BHP Support

Since this thread is on Michellin, i say they are overrated! Conti'a are anyday better in performance, price and durability in Indian condition. Sad they offer limited size options.
Old 17th January 2010, 16:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Since this thread is on Michellin, i say they are overrated! Conti'a are anyday better in performance, price and durability in Indian condition. Sad they offer limited size options.
Does Conti sell a performance tyre like the Michelin Pilot Preceda, Pilot Sport or the Advan Neova?
Old 17th January 2010, 16:55   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Does Conti sell a performance tyre like the Michelin Pilot Preceda, Pilot Sport or the Advan Neova?
CPC2 is available and is the comparison for Preceda i guess.

Pilot Sports and Advan are the real performance series, though Conti has models, availability in India am not sure.

EDIT: On that subject, have you noticed that most of the complaints are from economy/silent range than performance and offroad tyres in Michellin.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th January 2010 at 16:57.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
SS Travellers ---- I disagree. Taxi owners are just as likely as any other car owner to claim warranty. At the end of the day, they are also humans who have spent some money on tyres and they feel that they are not to blame.

GTO -- Today, very few taxi owners retread their tyres. Of course, when it comes to the truck segment, it's a different story altogether.
depends on the car that is being used as a taxi.
a sumo or tempo trax,indica's or even tavera's and qualis are often re treaded.
while upper segment taxi's such as corolla's ,innova's camry's ,mercs prefer new tyres.
But generally there is a huge demand for second hand tyres and they are refurbished and used again.

Sticking to the topic
yes i agree that Mich and yokos are not fully suited for indian roads compared to Bridgstones,JK etc.

yea yea i can see loads of people sayin have done 40-50k kms in my yoko/michelins etc but most of that has been would have been done in the city.
try driving these on the true kaccha roads of india and see how quickly they wear out.

Last edited by vinaydas : 17th January 2010 at 17:48.
Old 17th January 2010, 19:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: On that subject, have you noticed that most of the complaints are from economy/silent range than performance and offroad tyres in Michellin.
Not sure of about that. There have been sidewall bulge issues on PP2. From what I read on various threads, XM1+ and MXV8 are kind of ok, while complaints on XM1 and PP2 ?
Old 17th January 2010, 22:04   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
CPC2 is available and is the comparison for Preceda i guess.

Pilot Sports and Advan are the real performance series, though Conti has models, availability in India am not sure.

The CPC2s are kinda like the PP2s. However, the hardcore performance Continentals are the ContiSportContact3s. These came as OEM on the Jetta/Passat before they were taken away because they were too soft for our roads. Now, these cars come with CPC2s.

The reason why you notice more complaints from the economy range of Michelin is simply because they outsell the performance tyres by a huuuge margin.

Offroad tyres are very high profile and it will take some hardcore driving and insane driving style to damage one of those!

Anyway, in my experience, the PP2s are kinda soft. The Primacy LCs seem soft. However, I feel it is too early to make a firm decision on the Primacy LCs. It's been in the market for less than a year. The XM1+ is a brilliant tyres. If someone damaged an XM1+, I'm of the belief that he would have damaged any tyre. Be it a Conti, Yoko or a good quality BS(not the S322 crap).

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 17th January 2010 at 22:06.
Old 21st January 2010, 17:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Not sure of about that. There have been sidewall bulge issues on PP2. From what I read on various threads, XM1+ and MXV8 are kind of ok, while complaints on XM1 and PP2 ?
I'm reminded of the proverb "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"!
It's not good science to extrapolate from complaints registered here.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:56   #70
BHPian

I have been using michelin XM1 for my Ford Ikon and have run 32000 km for the same. They have been trouble free except for two punctures because of nails. Very nice experience compared to the OE MRF ZVTS which i had used for around 28000 KM. I am planning to change again as i do not intend to use any tyres above 35000 km, am lookin at options otherwise will again go for michelin XM1.
Old 24th February 2010, 22:08   #71
BHPian

Here's what I think on the PP1's

1. Grip
2. Safe at high speeds

Dislike
1. Expensive and it hurts if it gets a cut or damaged within 100 km's of use etc
2. Firm ride on low speeds

Verdict - Worth the penny if you're driving for reliability and a 10L plus car.
There are so many times, that the vehicle in front has stopped suddenly and at high speeds,the grip offered has prevented me rear-ending the car upfront.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:39   #72
BHPian

michelins are not that bad..

The ride and handling of my wagon r improved considerably after changing to Michelin Energy XM1 165 R13
I drive Dzire with 195/70/R14 and it feels a bit jittery at low speeds over rough roads at 30psi. Changed to 28psi and now the rides better

Too early to tell the flaws though(6k)
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:49   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a perfect time to update this thread. Nearly 30,000 kms up on my PP2s (exact is about 28,000 IIRC) and just got back from a 400 km fast highway trip. The tyres have aged exceedingly well and still provide decent grip. Of course, she now slides at an earlier point in a fast corner, compared to when the tyres were younger. And I see the traction control light blinking more frequently too. But for nearly 30K of moving a 1,500 kilo car on all types of road conditions, they've held up just superb. The Goodyear Eagle F1s, on the other hand, had started showing their age at a mere 10,000 kms!

I think I can safely extract another 5K - 7K of running out of them. Yup, I'm going to replace them with fresh PP2s only. No better product attestation than a return customer, I can tell you that!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2010 at 10:50.
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:06   #74
BHPian

My PP2 is also at 29K and doing decent enough. As GTO mentioned, I too see the signs of aging and occasional poor grip, but I haven't lost the trust on it yet. The thread depth tells me it can go for another 5k more.

With regular rotation/alignment and balancing, I feel we can extract the max out of PP2 without making much compromise on driving habits.
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:47   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO --- You need to replace them with PS3s. PP2s would be very har to find

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks