Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you had Issues with your Michelin tyres?
Yes (Bulges, premature tyre wear, frequent punctures etc) 50 17.12%
No. They're quite problem free 242 82.88%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 15:01   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote)

Meanwhile a question, did the prices of tyres increase with in the last one month. Any one has any confirmation on this. I was told ny a mechanic that prices have gone up by Rs 300.
Old 25th December 2010, 15:50   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Prices have been going up like crazy the past few months. Prices have gone up by at least 10% the last 7 months.
Old 25th December 2010, 16:15   #93
Senior - BHPian

Tyre prices have been on an upswing since the last year or a little more than that. I bought 185/60R14 XM1+ some months back for 3900/- per tyre with B&W and when I went back a few days later to buy the same tyres again I was given a price of 4300/- , now I believe the price is close to 5000 per tyre. The prices will remain on an upward trend in the coming months.

There is a drop in the rubber production in Thailand (a major global supplier of natural rubber) and that has created a shortage in the International markets at a time when the demand is growing due to the strong requirements from the Chinese and our own market besides other regions. Further there is a drop in tyre imports into the country due to a new regulation that requires all tyres being imported to carry the ISI certification. The tire majors are in the process of incorporating the same and while the availability is expected to improve in a couple of months but the shortage of natural rubber will remain for the foreseeable future.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:51   #94
BHPian

Michelin has soft compound, so its obvious that the side wall bulges easily when subject to stony/gravel roads, sudden breaking in such raods may lead to side wall tear. But the ride quality improves because of its soft compund since some amount of road undulations is sub dued by the soft compound tyres which I experianced in my verna. But lost two tyres in the process midway driving in some worst roads
Old 28th December 2010, 14:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

I have used Michelins for the last 8 years and have found them to be really long lasting too apart from being reliable. Absolutely adore them.
Old 28th December 2010, 14:49   #96
Senior - BHPian

Michelin Latitude cross 235\70\R16,running on Scorpio since day 1,now after 11K on odo.
I am happy with the overall performance,apart from the fact that one tyre suffered 3 punctures in a span of 2 days.
wondering,if it has to do anything with soft compound.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have used Michelins for the last 8 years and have found them to be really long lasting too apart from being reliable. Absolutely adore them.
Thats because you know how to drive without damaging tyres.
Old 31st December 2010, 14:49   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Thats because you know how to drive without damaging tyres.
Hey, i did not mean I am using the same tyres for 8 years.
Old 14th August 2011, 23:14   #99
BHPian

I have done 10000 kms on all terrains. due to traffic on main roads, I take lot of unconventional roads (mostly "owned" by trucks and lorries).
Those who are in bangalore will visualize better due to flyover constructions everywhere. In past 10k kms, I have experienced only *ONE* puncture.
I also travel a lot to rural bangalore (thanks to increasing real estate price), I got a land far far from mainland, where 4WD makes more sense

Tyres are soft but not fragile. No potatoes/bulges either. I was skeptical about the tyres before buying, but now I'm glad I listened to my heart.

There could be atleast one of these reasons probably why I didn't have a lemon:

1. Always maintained at 32 PSI. (Never under-inflated ever)
2. Tyres made in taiwan lot (may be all Michelins are imported from there)
3. Load Index was 94. May be that's why it is so robust.

On the contrary, I had a nightmare with stock J K Vectra's. One sidewall damage, wide puncture and frequent balancing post punctures.

+1 to michelin's.

However, with LC's one minor issue - If a small gravel is stuck between the tyre treads, it makes lot of irritating noise as if you have got a nail there (puncture). And you are forced to check the wheel for peace of mind.
Old 14th August 2011, 23:29   #100
BHPian

I have used XM1+ for 1 yr over about 7K kms.

No issues with the tyre, no bulges, no cracks, only 1 puncture in 7K kms.

I found the ride to to be slightly better on bad roads.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:03   #101
BHPian

I switched over to Michelin XM1 three months ago. I've used them for 5000 kms now. Haven't had a single issue with them thus far. The handling of the car has improved immensely. I was using lousy JK Ultimas which came stock on my alto lx. They had run 30000 kms when i replaced them with Michelins. Earlier my car used to wobble at speeds over 80 (it was not just the tyres which caused this, probably faulty alignment and balancing as well). However since i've switched over to the Michelins, the car very comfortably crosses 100 kmph without any vibrations.
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:51   #102
BHPian

I have been using Michelin XM1+ on my Esteem for the past 16,000 kms. Not a single puncture yet, let alone problems. Touchwood!
Have been rotating religiously every 5, 000 kms. And yes, they have been abused a lot (read wheelspins at signals, fast corners, excess speeds).

OT. Find the MRF's that came with the ANHC to be surprisingly good in the brief period that I have been using the car (600 + kms).

Cheers!
Old 30th October 2012, 21:02   #103
BHPian

This thread has not been updated for a long time.

I have personally used Michelin XM1 after consultation with kpzen here.My car came fitted with MRF ZVTS .The road noise and level of grip was atrocious.This was way back in middle of 2008.

I used those Michelins for 35k+ kms and countless drives on highways and city as well,and bad , real bad roads as well. No issues till about 32k+ kms.
I did have few punctures,once three metal objects at one time,in the front left tyre. All punctures repaired but no issues with side-wall bulge / uneven wear / other bad experience etc. I do routinely rotate tyres as well,as recommended.
I finally changed those tyres to XM1+ ( read here at that time that XM1 and XM1+ are basically same tyres, but Energy is a bit higher tyre ) last November , after about 35k+ happy kms.I am indebted to kpzen for his advice. Now after a year of using the XM1+, till date there has been no puncture as yet,touchwood,but I had to go for a tyre repair,after I noted a metallic object sticking out from my left front tyre again,few weeks back. I have , due to my own fault, hit a kerb stone hard with my right rear tyre sidewall once as well,but no issues till now thankfully.

I am very happy with Michelin. Almost non-existent road noise, excellent grip and handling, good braking,low rolling resistance,35k+ kms of fairly all types of driving. I will ONLY buy Michelin this time too.

But that above does NOT clear my doubt about Michelin Primacy LCs !!

As per our resident tyre expert, Nikhil, Michelin XM1 etc was noted for their excellent durability.
Is it the same for PLCs ? Though there is a separate thread for Primacy LC, and so many ongoing discussions,I doubt I have noted anywhere that PLCs are made/noted for its grip/handling/safety etc. Even Michelin advertise them as "less driving noise" and " saves fuel" , in their website !! These, IMO are hardly two important criterias when one buys a car tyre,let alone 4 costly tyres. I mean we all do consider road noise etc, but that comes much later,after we consider grip/handling/braking in wet & dry/ride comfort etc in that order, isn't it ?

So are we missing out something here guys ? Are Michelin's current crop of tyres, South East Asia specific or not, really that good,that reliable? Are they made keeping road noise and ride comfort in mind,throwing other more important criteria as grip/handling/braking etc down the drain ? Is Michelin too absorbed in making tyres with super-soft rubber compound,to reduce noise and making ride comfort better, but not at all concentrating on other important aspects at all ?

Can anybody throw some light here ? Nikhil,kpzen,wasavatyres ? Anybody else ?
Old 30th October 2012, 22:25   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

I've had a whole host of various tires on various cars. But I most cases, I would go for Michelin.

After several trial and errors I finally got Michelin Sports and it makes a huge difference in noise, comfort and road holding. Also, wear is pretty good.

For years i used Pirelli's on my Alfa Spider. Italian car, Italian tires, but again I've changed to Michelin with the same result.

The only recent car I've owned which didn't have Michelins was my Jeep Cherokee. Tried Firestone, Bridgestone and one other brand. The Jeep had a crappy ride when the road was wet. Different tires did not seem to make a difference. In the end I drove it around on winter tires all year round, which gave me outstanding performance in snow and slightly better performance in wet conditions. Can't remember why I did not try Michelin, maybe they did not have the right model tire or so.

Jeroen
Old 29th November 2012, 23:20   #105
BHPian

Hi All,

Anyone there to vote for Michelin Energy XM2 series? Planned to change my OE JKTyres (155/65/R13) in my Wagon R to Michelin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks