Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 13:16   #1
BHPian

Tyre Wearing Out

Recently I saw that the Inside edge of the front tyre has been wearied out drastically. The FORD mechanics says that it is due to the Alloy bent. But I feel that this might be some different reason becos both the tyre has almost same amount of wearing out. And also each tyre has uniformly wearied out towards inside edge.
Please can you suggest probable reason of wearing out.
Old 15th January 2010, 13:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

How often do wheels get aligned? Try different tyre dealer to rule out possibility of incorrect wheel alignment.
Old 15th January 2010, 13:34   #3
BHPian

I bought a pre owned Spark for my Dad recently. Cursory look and tyres looked ok but it was the service advisor who pointed that both the rear tyres are worn. I checked it and noticed that the innermost belt was worn completely on one and partially on the other. Reason: Shockers. Got both the shockers replaced under warranty. Got one new tyre and moved other to backup.

Last edited by WanderNomad : 15th January 2010 at 13:36.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I checked it and noticed that the innermost belt was worn completely on one and partially on the other. Reason: Shockers. Got both the shockers replaced under warranty. Got one new tyre and moved other to backup.
I asked them the same question. If this wearing out is due to the alignment/bent then the wearing out should not have uniform.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its alignment, check at a good alignment center and see if the readings are within limits.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:37   #6
jav
BHPian

Tires wearing from the inside is mostly a camber issue or can also be problem with suspension, i feel its mostly negative camber, first step would be to get the alignment checked at a good wheel alignment shop.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Tires wearing from the inside is mostly a camber issue or can also be problem with suspension, i feel its mostly negative camber, first step would be to get the alignment checked at a good wheel alignment shop.
Now the Metro Ford is not willing to do any job on suspension. They are keeps telling me that this is issue with the Tyre and they need a new tyre to check. What if the new Tyre also wore out ? Dont know what they are upto. At the same time I am reporting another prob that the Suspension is giving Squicking sound.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:57   #8
BHPian

I would recommend getting the alignment checked first and then do the course correction further. Going for new tyres without identifying the problem doesnt serve any purpose.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

1) Check Alignment. Its the major cause. And if you are doing this, if the tyre is damaged more, replace the tyre also.

2) Its wont harm to get the suspension checked. I had learnt this the hard way round. Eventually ended up paying more. I am not trying to scare you, but do get the suspension checked.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

arin12 can you post photos of your tires wear pattern please?
Old 19th January 2010, 21:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Its wont harm to get the suspension checked. I had learnt this the hard way round. Eventually ended up paying more. I am not trying to scare you, but do get the suspension checked.
The suspension is always the root cause of uneven tyre wear - have the camber,castor and toe spot on - your tyre wear will be even for sure.

The Padmini was one car where I saw tyres wear most evenly
Old 19th January 2010, 21:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Arin, please get the alignment checked for SURE once.
Old 20th January 2010, 23:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
arin12 can you post photos of your tires wear pattern please?
I will do. Give me some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I would recommend getting the alignment checked first and then do the course correction further. Going for new tyres without identifying the problem doesnt serve any purpose.
The same way I am also thinking. Lets find the problem first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The suspension is always the root cause of uneven tyre wear - have the camber,castor and toe spot on - your tyre wear will be even for sure.

The Padmini was one car where I saw tyres wear most evenly
Today I went for a test drive. They removed and refixed the suspension. The squiking sound has gone and lets see what can be done next. Planning to drive for another 2k and changed the all tyre if wire out does not happen. The tyre is already ran 31K.

Most Viewed