Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
He mentioned to me today that he use WD40 to inflate his tyres.
From what i have seen - Its not being used to inflate the tyre, just to re-seat the beading on the rim so that it can then be inflated properly.

This seems to be a common trick with off-roaders. Low tyre pressures, larger tyres and big flexible sidewalls all play a part in making this possible, as well as getting the tyre off the rim in the first place.

WD-40 might not be the best solution (as they try to limit the flammability) - lighter fluid would probably work best / better.

What is happening is that the air inside the tyre is being heated - and therefore expanding rapidly. This expansion pushes the unseated tyre back onto the rim properly.

The air pressure inside the tyre will still be the same (ie around atmospheric pressure) after the air cools down again - and therefore the tyre will need to be filled with air after this trick helps seal it to the rim properly.

Quote:
I am using WD40 600 times a day for last 2 years. I know the pros and cons. I will never use it.

What does that mean? Its a bit of a contradiction.
Are you saying you will never use WD40 or this method?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd February 2010 at 12:48.
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
Hi,

Could you pls advise what type of Oil survey you undertake OR are you an ex-marine engineer??

Rgds.
I am not an ex-marine engineer.I am trained to undertake seismic surveys to explore oil.By sending sound signals to the bottom and recording the reflections. The penetration helps us in identifying the salt bodies,oil gaps things like that.
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
From what i have seen - Its not being used to inflate the tyre, just to re-seat the beading on the rim so that it can then be inflated properly.

This seems to be a common trick with off-roaders. Low tyre pressures, larger tyres and big flexible sidewalls all play a part in making this possible, as well as getting the tyre off the rim in the first place.

WD-40 might not be the best solution (as they try to limit the flammability) - lighter fluid would probably work best / better.

What is happening is that the air inside the tyre is being heated - and therefore expanding rapidly. This expansion pushes the unseated tyre back onto the rim properly.

The air pressure inside the tyre will still be the same (ie around atmospheric pressure) after the air cools down again - and therefore the tyre will need to be filled with air after this trick helps seal it to the rim properly.

cya
R
Like i said Rehaan when i started the thread when somebody told me that he inflated his tyre with this practise.And i havenot heard of it anywhere. Since i saw this on youtube and the topic itself is selfexplanatory that "How to inflate a tyre" then i mentioned that they are inflating tyres.But yea you got the point right there its not being used to inflate.

I am sorry i should have been a bit more specific.All i was saying is i use it every now and then and i know its pros and cons. So this is something i will never use . Its like using hydrogen for cooking food when LPG is not availaible. It works but its dangerous. I dont want to sit right next to my flat tyre and use WD40 . 9 out of 10 times i will be able to do it.But there is that one time when it will catch enormous fire and burn my eyebrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalsingh View Post
Hi,

Could you pls advise what type of Oil survey you undertake OR are you an ex-marine engineer??

Rgds.
I am not an ex-marine engineer.I am trained to undertake seismic surveys to explore oil.By sending sound signals to the bottom and recording the reflections. The penetration helps us in identifying the salt bodies,oil gaps things like that.[/quote]
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:06   #19
BANNED

I would be reluctant to use WD40, except in an emergency. The oils may not be very kind to the rubber.
Old 7th February 2010, 13:43   #20

Quote:
Like i said Rehaan when i started the thread when somebody told me that he inflated his tyre with this practise.And i havenot heard of it anywhere. Since i saw this on Youtube and the topic itself is selfexplanatory that "How to inflate a tyre" then i mentioned that they are inflating tyres.But yea you got the point right there its not being used to inflate.

I am sorry i should have been a bit more specific.All i was saying is i use it every now and then and i know its pros and cons. So this is something i will never use . Its like using hydrogen for cooking food when LPG is not availaible. It works but its dangerous. I dont want to sit right next to my flat tyre and use WD40 . 9 out of 10 times i will be able to do it.But there is that one time when it will catch enormous fire and burn my eyebrows.

I am not an ex-marine engineer.I am trained to undertake seismic surveys to explore oil.By sending sound signals to the bottom and recording the reflections. The penetration helps us in identifying the salt bodies,oil gaps things like that.
[/quote]
Im with rehaan on this..
This kind of technique has been used by the Scandanavians for ages..but they dont use WD40...they use Commercial Propane/ Butane
Low inflation pressures, Largesr sidewalls, and lateral forces are the recipe for dislocated beads on tubeless tyres..

and yeah the Butane / propane will combust inside the tyre space to release Co2/Co and a cocktail of other gases....

Highly Unrecommended....But when Your stuck on an glacier with ur junked tyre...who cares about the tyre...

Wd40 is a cocktail of mineral oils...
and is generally a glorified lubricant cum Penetrating oil because of its low viscosity ....
there are many other equally competent players in the market..

and when pacakaged in a pressurised cannister ...it will obviously need a propellant...n yes you guessed right ..the propellant is Propane/butane

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks