Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 00:20   #91
BHPian

re: Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
15" on a beat is too much. Stick to 14". 185/60-14 is a little overkill but it will be fine. Dont go beyond that.

The standard size is 155/70-14 right?
Thanks. Yes, the standard is 155/70-14.

As I understand, If I am retaining the stock steel rims (14x 4.5J) the max I can upgrade to is 175/65-14 right? Plus, as I have read, 185's may have more of an impact on FE, steering weight etc which makes 175 seem like the best of both worlds for the Beat.
Old 5th April 2012, 00:30   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

175/65-14 is a better option. Especially if you are retaining the stock steel wheels.

175/65-14 will give you more options (in terms of tyre models), better ride comfort, slightly better FE(compared to 185) and better ride ground clearance(dont think you need it for the Beat, but given the wonderfully unscientific way our speedbreakers are constructed, you never know!).
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 12:12   #93
BHPian

Quote:
175/65-14 is a better option. Especially if you are retaining the stock steel wheels.

175/65-14 will give you more options (in terms of tyre models), better ride comfort, slightly better FE(compared to 185) and better ride ground clearance(dont think you need it for the Beat, but given the wonderfully unscientific way our speedbreakers are constructed, you never know!).
Thanks, 175/65-14 it is!

Any ideas on how much I can expect for my 2.7k kms run tyres?
Old 5th April 2012, 16:46   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Thanks, 175/65-14 it is!

Any ideas on how much I can expect for my 2.7k kms run tyres?
Not much. It's better if you try to sell it to a fellow beat owner. Most tyre shops cant give you good value for it because it's a wierd size and fits ONLY the Beat.
Old 8th April 2012, 20:32   #95
BHPian

I am still in two minds about exchanging my Vectras for peanuts but in the meanwhile I need recommendation on which tyre to go for-
The obvious options are XM2's, A-Drives, Acceleres or some Bridgestones (probably the ER-60).

My usage currently is mostly within the city while longer highway drives would probably be sometime in the near future.

The XM2 is atleast 300-400 bucks more expensive than the A-Drive & Acceleres while the ER60 is almost a grand more than the two.

Based on my usage, does it make more sense to go for the more expensive ones or will the cheaper (a-drive/acceleres) suit me just fine? Is there any other tyre I should also be looking at?

Also would someone happen to know the price for a 175/65-R14 A-Drive & Acceleres in Bangalore?

Quote:
Not much. It's better if you try to sell it to a fellow beat owner. Most tyre shops cant give you good value for it because it's a wierd size and fits ONLY the Beat.
Yes, that indeed is a better idea, but the probability of finding a fellow Petrol Beat owner in need of 4 tyres is pretty slim. 'Not much' would mean around how much? (approx )

Last edited by superutp : 8th April 2012 at 20:34.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:01   #96
BHPian

I have got my tyres changed to 175/65-R14 A-Drives. Now as per the tyre bible the ideal rim width is between 5-6.5J. My stock rims are 4.5J making 175's a bit too wide.

I plan to get my rims changed to either 5.5J or 6J. (No Vit M for Alloys right now). Would it matter if its 5.5 or 6 as long as it is in the acceptable range? I guess 6 would make the tyres look wider than on 5.5 right?
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:43   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I have got my tyres changed to 175/65-R14 A-Drives. Now as per the tyre bible the ideal rim width is between 5-6.5J. My stock rims are 4.5J making 175's a bit too wide.

I plan to get my rims changed to either 5.5J or 6J. (No Vit M for Alloys right now). Would it matter if its 5.5 or 6 as long as it is in the acceptable range? I guess 6 would make the tyres look wider than on 5.5 right?

i'm not sure whether you need to change your rims. I initially had the a-drives on the beat (from the dealer itself) and it ran wonderfully on the factory rims. I just recently changed the four of them to michelin. Apparently, yokohoma cant make long lasting tires, both on the beat and innova, I could never get more than 25-30k out of them. Sticky-yes, low noise-yes, long lasting- no. Just my opinion.
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
i'm not sure whether you need to change your rims. I initially had the a-drives on the beat (from the dealer itself) and it ran wonderfully on the factory rims. I just recently changed the four of them to michelin. Apparently, yokohoma cant make long lasting tires, both on the beat and innova, I could never get more than 25-30k out of them. Sticky-yes, low noise-yes, long lasting- no. Just my opinion.
What size were your a-drives?? and the current Michelins?
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:47   #99
BHPian

Quote:
What size were your a-drives?? and the current Michelins?
both were 175/65/r14
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:54   #100
BHPian

Quote:
both were 175/65/r14
Oh ok. So you went for XM2's this time I reckon? How do you find them compared to the A-drives?

The reason I want wider rims is because the 4.5J stock ones dont justify the wider tyres. Mathematically they are small for 175's and visually they subdue the true width of 175s. Practically it may not make any difference as you have said.

With regards to A-drives, well I didnt have much choice as I had a tight budget. Between Aceleres and A-drives I chose the latter due to many more recommendations. Plus majority of my driving is within the city.
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:06   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok. So you went for XM2's this time I reckon? How do you find them compared to the A-drives?

The reason I want wider rims is because the 4.5J stock ones dont justify the wider tyres. Mathematically they are small for 175's and visually they subdue the true width of 175s. Practically it may not make any difference as you have said.

With regards to A-drives, well I didnt have much choice as I had a tight budget. Between Aceleres and A-drives I chose the latter due to many more recommendations. Plus majority of my driving is within the city.
no, as the xm2 was not available when i was shopping, i ended up with the xm1+. i've got no complaints, seems to be almost identical to yoko in terms of comfort and safety. the michelins do seem a lot more beefy in size though. After a 30 hour, 2200km road trip, they held well at decent speeds so i've got no complaints. the only advise i'd give you is to definitely go for the nitrogen air, it's well worth the rs.200 for filling.
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
no, as the xm2 was not available when i was shopping, i ended up with the xm1+. i've got no complaints, seems to be almost identical to yoko in terms of comfort and safety. the michelins do seem a lot more beefy in size though. After a 30 hour, 2200km road trip, they held well at decent speeds so i've got no complaints. the only advise i'd give you is to definitely go for the nitrogen air, it's well worth the rs.200 for filling.
Yes I do agree about the 'beefyness' of the XM1+. Probably one of the reasons why I want wider rims
2200km road trip on the Beat! Sounds great, going OT but do you have a Petrol or Diesel? I am guessing a Petrol
I did get nitrogen filled in when I got the tyres changed, but considering I dont too too many highway drives and most of my drives have avg. speeds between 12-40 kmph don't deem it to be too necessary.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:38   #103
BHPian

Got mine, a diesel variant yesterday.
Upsized from 165/65 R14 to 175/65 R14 : dont mind the extra few mm in ride height. Infact, makes the car looks a little bigger
Have retained the same manufacturer (Bridgestones) and paid 700 bucks extra per tyre (4)

Stock rims were changed to alloys - got them from Sai Mag Wheels, the same place from where I got the i20's alloys too.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-beat-1edit.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-beat-2edit.jpg  

Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-beat-3edit.jpg  

BunnyPunia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 02:28   #104

Quote:

Hi. I ride the same and I'm contemplating on upgrading to 175/65 R14s.
The ride feels harsh with the 155/70s (now that I have spent some time riding cars with 175/65s and 185/65s).

Could you please give a description of the changes you noticed after the upgrade? Mainly, ride quality and handling. (Tyre noise and longevity are secondary concerns).
Also, the change in FE, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Got mine, a diesel variant yesterday.
Upsized from 165/65 R14 to 175/65 R14 : dont mind the extra few mm in ride height. Infact, makes the car looks a little bigger
Have retained the same manufacturer (Bridgestones) and paid 700 bucks extra per tyre (4)

Stock rims were changed to alloys - got them from Sai Mag Wheels, the same place from where I got the i20's alloys too.
Are those Turanza ER60s?

Have you driven the Beat with 155/70 or 165/65; if so, could you please describe the changes you noticed?
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:25   #105
BHPian

@BunnyPunia, Tyre upsizing looks fab in your Chevy Beat. Have you observed any adverse behavior in driving/sharp cuts/fuel efficiency?

I have a Chevy Beat and whenever I replace tyre, I would like to upsize to either 175/65-R14 or to 185/60-R14. Any suggestion on which one will be better???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks