Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 22:19   #106
BHPian

re: Chevy Beat : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravindJose View Post
Hi. I ride the same and I'm contemplating on upgrading to 175/65 R14s.
The ride feels harsh with the 155/70s (now that I have spent some time riding cars with 175/65s and 185/65s).

Could you please give a description of the changes you noticed after the upgrade? Mainly, ride quality and handling. (Tyre noise and longevity are secondary concerns).
Also, the change in FE, if any.
Well to be honest all aspects of handling, ride & general tyre behaviour improved with the upsize. The car handles better, better steering input, better high speed stability and is able to go over bumps better. Also replacing the inferior JK Vectras to Yoko A-Drives also helped a bit in the braking department. I haven't really noticed a difference in FE and the maximum difference it could probably make from 155 to 175 would be 0.5kmpl and not more.

Its definitely something which I would advice in getting done however, there are some Beat owners who haven't gone through with any update and seem to be as happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
@BunnyPunia, Tyre upsizing looks fab in your Chevy Beat. Have you observed any adverse behavior in driving/sharp cuts/fuel efficiency?

I have a Chevy Beat and whenever I replace tyre, I would like to upsize to either 175/65-R14 or to 185/60-R14. Any suggestion on which one will be better???
Do upgrade your stock rims (4.5J) to wider alloys (5J and more) if you plan to go for 185/60.

I would have gone for 185s if I was getting alloys, but since I wasnt I decided to go for 175s.
Old 25th October 2012, 08:41   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Do upgrade your stock rims (4.5J) to wider alloys (5J and more) if you plan to go for 185/60.
To be honest I don't know what benefit alloys adds other than the visual appeal (which is subjective - and I personally don't find it any better)? So will be pleased if somebody can enlighten me here.

One of the reason to opt either of the sizes I mentioned is to retain the existing rims and thus save on cost. Of course I will change the rims if I see the benefits. What say?
Old 25th October 2012, 08:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest I don't know what benefit alloys adds other than the visual appeal (which is subjective - and I personally don't find it any better)? So will be pleased if somebody can enlighten me here.

One of the reason to opt either of the sizes I mentioned is to retain the existing rims and thus save on cost. Of course I will change the rims if I see the benefits. What say?
Well basically as per the tyre bible (somewhere here on tBHP) 185 section tyres require rim width 5J and above. Of course you could put them on the stock Beat Rims which is 4.5J but I preferred not taking any chances and hence stuck to 175s (atleast that was based on the research I did 7 months back and because I had no intention of buying alloys anytime soon )

I was also cost saving by retaining the existing Beat rims, and alloys, as you said are mainly for visual appeal however, the lighter weight may help in marginally better handling (but we aren't racing on F1 tracks, now are we )
superutp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 10:15   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Looks.

2. Strength: The alloys are much much stronger than steel wheels. So, if oyu hit a pothole at high speeds, the alloy wheel will take the hit much better. A steel wheel would have bent or deformed immediately but the alloy will retain it's shape. And because it retains its shape, air will not instantly leak out of tubeless tyre helping you to retain control of a vehicle.

3. Less chance of rusting: This means that you can use tubeless tyres for longer and with less chance of minor air leaks due to rusting/corrosion.

4. Generally, they dont bend at all. Steel wheels bend all the time. So, when you are using tubeless tyres, alloy wheels will form an airtight seal with the tyres. With steel wheels, there is a chance of air leakage as the wheel gets abused on Indian roads.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 21:40   #110
BHPian

Just lost one of my 42k kilometers old OE JK Vectras for good. Using the spare which has a sidewall puncture. Need immediate replacement tyres, but totally confused with brands. The size of choice has been fixed at 175/65/R14. Priorities posted according to importance:
i) Should noticeably improve handling, braking and ride quality .
ii) Low noise
iii) Durable. Should last atleast 35k in normal circumstances.
iv) VFM. Will live most of its life doing 40-60 kmph in city traffic.
v) Price range of around 4k per tyre.

Please suggest the brand that suits my needs.

Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 21:00   #111
BHPian

Hi Team,
I'm looking for a tyre change / upgrade. I have a Beat Diesel with steel Rims and have covered around 33,000 kms in 16 months.
I do not intend to change to alloys (Vitamin M deficiency).

In my recent trips (to Goa), we managed to wear off the side wall of one of the front tyres. The spare is no good as it has a bulge in the inside sidewall and needs to be replaced as well.

I thought upgrading to 185/60/14 (as recommended in michelin website for petrol beat), but reading through this thread has made me reconsider it.

I need your help and suggestions in the below points:

1. I want a slightly high profile tyre
- The front tyres make me feel as if they are punctured / lost air (courtesy a heavy diesel engine)
2. 175/65/14 (113.75mm sidewall height) Vs 185/65/14 (120.25mm sidewall height) Vs 185/60/14 (111mm)
- Any of these is much better than my existing set (165/65/14 - 101.4mm)
3. I am planning to change only the front 2 tyres this month and will be changing the remaining 2 / 3 tyres next month.
- How does this impact on the car (it is definitely more beneficial and practical to me)? I do not plan to go on any long trips this month.
Any immediate help will be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 31st May 2013, 10:35   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Team,
I'm looking for a tyre change / upgrade. I have a Beat Diesel with steel Rims and have covered around 33,000 kms in 16 m

Cheers,
1. You want higher profile, go for 175/65 R14. This will give you a slightly higher profile than stock.

2. 175/65 R14 is the best upsize. 185/65 might foul with the inside of the wheel arches on full load when you go over speed breakers.

3. Do you mean wider tyres only on the front? No it is not recommended. This would make the car over steer. If changing, change all 4 tyres.

Most importantly, check the implications on warranty.
Old 6th August 2013, 13:12   #113
BHPian

I have a similar requirement, planning to change both front and rear tyres for my Chevrolet Beat Petrol LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Just lost one of my 42k kilometers old OE JK Vectras for good. Using the spare which has a sidewall puncture. Need immediate replacement tyres, but totally confused with brands. The size of choice has been fixed at 175/65/R14. Priorities posted according to importance:
i) Should noticeably improve handling, braking and ride quality .
ii) Low noise
iii) Durable. Should last atleast 35k in normal circumstances.
iv) VFM. Will live most of its life doing 40-60 kmph in city traffic.
v) Price range of around 4k per tyre.

Please suggest the brand that suits my needs.

Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 18:08   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
I have a similar requirement, planning to change both front and rear tyres for my Chevrolet Beat Petrol LT
Have been running on the Yoko A-Drives (175/65/R14) for the last 10k kilometres. Totally satisfied with the purchase, major upgrade in ride and handling, minimal FE hit, good grip, no more bottom scrapes and looks as good as new still.

On the other hand its definitely not the most silent out there, the sidewalls are super delicate and its a very tight fit as the spare.

You will need 5 of them as well, as owing to the different size, you will not be able to even confidently putter with the OE spec spare in case of a puncture.
Old 12th August 2013, 18:28   #115
BHPian

I have run 46k km on my stock Goodyear 165/64/R14's in exactly 2 years. The tyres still have some tread and i am planning on replacing all 4 tyres at the 50k km mark.

The tyre shop suggested i stick with the same make and size when i replace them and didnt really recommend an upsize.

I dont really have any complaints about the current tyres apart from some bottom scraping on bad road humps and some minor tyre damage from stones and kerbs

Should i stick to the same size or upsize to 175/65? If yes, what are good options and how much would they cost me?

Thanks

Last edited by fangface : 12th August 2013 at 18:28. Reason: typo
Old 12th August 2013, 20:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

I have upgraded to Yokohma A-drive, 175/65/R14 profile on my Beat Diesel, driving and braking feels more safe and comfortable now compared to stock tyres, but FE has dropped from 22 in city to 19 kmpl without Dieseltronic tuning box. When driven in Economy mode with tuning box I still get a FE of 22kmpl. There is a change in FE for sure after tyre change but driving now is much better. Yokohama 175/65/R14 is worth an upgrade.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 09:07   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I have upgraded to Yokohma A-drive, 175/65/R14 profile on my Beat Diesel, driving and braking feels more safe and comfortable now compared to stock tyres, but FE has dropped from 22 in city to 19 kmpl without Dieseltronic tuning box. When driven in Economy mode with tuning box I still get a FE of 22kmpl. There is a change in FE for sure after tyre change but driving now is much better. Yokohama 175/65/R14 is worth an upgrade.
Thanks, how much did the Yokohamas cost you? 19kmpl on the beat in blr city traffic is still great! How do you manage that?

The best mileage i have got out of my car is ~22kmpl in mostly highway conditions with a steady 80kmph ish. The worst mileage with mostly city driving is about ~17kmpl. My overall average over 46k km has been 18.6kmpl.

Thanks!
Old 13th August 2013, 13:59   #118
Senior - BHPian

I went for tyre change after driving for 1.6k km, bought the new tyres from Sai Iynegar's outlet in Bannerghatta road opposite to my office. He offered 9.5K for my stock tyres and had to pay 12K for the new tyres. My personal PC is dead now so have not been able to write ownership review so far but surely will post my experience with Beat very shortly.
Old 13th August 2013, 15:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I went for tyre change after driving for 1.6k km, bought the new tyres from Sai Iynegar's outlet in Bannerghatta road opposite to my office. He offered 9.5K for my stock tyres and had to pay 12K for the new tyres. My personal PC is dead now so have not been able to write ownership review so far but surely will post my experience with Beat very shortly.
Hey deehunk, do Sai Iyengars' also stock Alloys ? I have been contemplating an Alloy upgrade for a very long time. May be I can go and check their range if they stock alloys.
Old 13th August 2013, 15:43   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hey deehunk, do Sai Iyengars' also stock Alloys ? I have been contemplating an Alloy upgrade for a very long time. May be I can go and check their range if they stock alloys.
Sai, like most tyre shops will have some alloys on display, but in my opinion you should go to a full fledged accessory store or tuner for alloy wheel shopping.

Pure tyre shops will have limited choice in alloy wheel patterns and brands, plus will be less prone to bargaining effects . Just my personal experience.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks