Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:39   #1
superveloce

Anodized Wheel Nuts?

Hey guys i have just gotten new white LENSO 15" LIGHT S2s for my 08 SWIFT with Potenza GIIIs in 195/60/R15 tires. (More on that later, will include pics also.)

I am facing a peculiar problem, my Swift came with oem alloys and now that i have upgraded to the lensos, the wheel nuts are fitting very snuggly into the tire holes. The work was done at Saifee's in Mumbai and they fitted the tires but now my wheel spanner, isnt able to fit on the OEM wheel nuts. Its almost rubbing the walls of the holes. I am afraid i will either scratch the brand new wheels or damage the head of these nuts.

I would like to know if anyone has been using or has any information about anodized wheel nuts. Also which are better the anodized wheel nuts or the longer powder coated lug nuts.
Where can i get them in mumbai or from where i can source them?
What colours are these available in?
Any and all information will be appreciated. Also which are better lug nut or regular hex nuts?
I am attaching some pictures of these i found online.
Team-bhp Pandits Kindly advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Anodized Wheel Nuts?-610.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-7931_146660906055_584006055_3077848_3502090_n.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-l_78c9a870681a4ae6bb04b16b5c33ef0e.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-wheelnuts.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-5353x.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-tritk3059250.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-tra535317mm_wheel_nuts_revo_plat.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-822117101.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 11:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you get anodized wheel nuts like the ones shown in the pics, nothing like it. However, in India you only get crappy quality ones.

What you can do is to get an attachment for your wheel spanner. Like the ones the guys at Saifee used. OEM wheel nuts are the best. They dont rust easily. I'm glad you didnt get them changed. Just get an extra attachment for oyur spanner and you'll be set.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 3rd February 2010 at 11:24.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:30   #3
BANNED

You meant coned seats dont go inside the wheel slot,if it doesnt , then yes it will damage the wheels. Find nuts with pitch 1.5 and usually coned angle will be 60degrees.

Rays wheel nuts go for 9k in the market while the cheaper rays replicas go in for 2.5k.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd February 2010 at 15:07. Reason: As per pm
Old 8th February 2010, 15:42   #4
superveloce

Hey nikhil and davis thanks a lot for your input.

Well i have taken up the issue with another friend who an performance parts importer here in mumbai.

Anyways, to come to the point, i needed to go out of town, and i needed a new wheel spanner before leaving, so i went to another tire dealer near my place. He told me about the allen key nuts available with him. They were chrome finished with the diameter and pitch specifications.
I am attaching the pictures, just guide me as to whether they are genuine or fakes, or just non-branded local products.

oh and he has promised to show me the coloured ones next week. currently he was sold out.
Attached Thumbnails
Anodized Wheel Nuts?-e71_image_628.jpg  

Anodized Wheel Nuts?-e71_image_689.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 15:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

You have put in the pic of just one bolt. It seems to be the usual non-branded stuff.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:32   #6
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
You have put in the pic of just one bolt. It seems to be the usual non-branded stuff.
Yes. i was in a hurry so i just told the person to give me an idea of how much it projects out and how it would look. i just clicked the one picture, hoping to get some opinions.

So, is this type, non-branded, reliable? or there lies some serious hazard in trying it out? The tire shop owner assured me that, all his customer choose this and he also puts them bcoz after changing to alloys the OE wheel spanner never fits.

He told me that they retail for about 700bucks. and you get the allen key attachment alongwith it, then you can use it with your own OE spanner.

I drive expressway alot and in speeds in excess of 120kmph regularly. Safety is a key concern. Please advice.

Oh and my OE bolts have lost their surface finish and they look very bad and are ruining the overall look.

If you have the branded lug nuts with you, then tell me, ill pm you.

Old 8th February 2010, 16:41   #7
VMC
BHPian

I had an same issue with my wheels due to the lugs. The wheel lugs were the local ones and after an year they rusted. They could not be removed. the only option suggested by the the tyre shop owner was to weld a bit into the wheel lug and remove it. They did it with utmost care so that it does not affect the alloy and had covered the whole wheel except the nut portion with some thick metal piece.
My suggestion- buy a branded set of lugs preferably the one which is covered completly from the front side.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be reasonably safe. Dont worry about it. Everyone uses that only nowadays.

Only problem is it starts to rust soon. My recommendation is to change the set of bolts every year. 700-800 bucks per year is a small price to pay for having clean, good bolts.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
So, is this type, non-branded, reliable? or there lies some serious hazard in trying it out? The tire shop owner assured me that, all his customer choose this and he also puts them bcoz after changing to alloys the OE wheel spanner never fits.
I've got the same "looking" stuff. It looked cool for about 3 months and the stainless steel/anodizing whatever started rusting.

Quote:
they retail for about 700bucks. and you get the allen key attachment alongwith it, then you can use it with your own OE spanner.
I shelled out 900 (back in 2008) Yes you do get a thingy that you can use with the OE wheel spanner.

Quote:
I drive expressway alot and in speeds in excess of 120kmph regularly. Safety is a key concern. Please advice.
The funny thing with the non-OE nuts are it cannot be tightened using the "power-tool" in the service station. I was plain lucky once to find one bolt fell off as I stopped to get cash from an ATM. The car was taken from service and the service folks has given door delivery the day before. The nut fell off just 800 meters after I drove the car from my home. To my horror I found all the bolts on that particular wheel was not tightened properly. So... you get the picture, have to be more careful with these "non-standard" things.

Quote:
Oh and my OE bolts have lost their surface finish and they look very bad and are ruining the overall look.
Trust me on this they won't look half as bad as the "hi-tech" nuts 1 year down the lane.

Quote:
They dont rust easily. I'm glad you didnt get them changed. Just get an extra attachment for oyur spanner and you'll be set.
I completely agree with Nikhilb2008 on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks