Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2023, 03:57   #136
BHPian

Re: Tyre rotation

On 28 Apr, I had replaced a 4th pair of tyres after 110-105K km life on a Toyota over a period of a decade or so.

All 4 pairs of tyres were never rotated (and not re-balanced) in between installation and removal dates, aka every single tyre stays at the same corner position till its end of life.

Tyre rotation (to me) is a pseudo-science in practice.

Last edited by zeng : 10th May 2023 at 04:00.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 04:41   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
All 4 pairs of tyres were never rotated (and not re-balanced)
I wouldn't go so far, but I think Tyre Rotation is overdone by some people. I think once in a couple of years is enough.

But I absolutely agree about Balancing. Doing Tyre Balancing on a schedule is absolutely not required. Tyres need to be balanced only if they are unbalanced & not on a schedule

- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post2628728 (Tyre rotation)

- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post2629576 (Tyre rotation)

Last edited by carboy : 10th May 2023 at 04:48.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 06:07   #138
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
. I think once in a couple of years is enough.

Doing Tyre Balancing on a schedule is absolutely not required. Tyres need to be balanced only if they are unbalanced & not on a schedule
URL]
I live in Bangalore where potholes of varying sizes and depth abound. Where there is a perpetual blaze construction going on and those who build buildings always cut trenches in the roads in order to hook up their plumbing and sewage.

The various authorities also never work in sync. Invariably the road chaps will lay a fresh clean layer of tarmac and make the surface ok and then within a week some drainage or sewage chaps or cable chaps or someone else will simply dig and destroy all that work and it will remain un fixed for years. And then the cycle will take place all over again.

I have observed this for the last 20 odd years andnit holds true irrespective of which government is handling the show.

I own two jeepy things and one small sporty car. My average monthly running on each of these varies between 350 and 700 Kms. A lot of this is done on highways, certainly, but equally these vehicles are driven locally around the city for errands and visits and golf course and malls and all.

I get my tyres balanced, rotated and the wheels aligned at least once every 5000-6000 kms or once a year. I always find that one or two balancing weights have fallen off and the alignment too, is always off by a couple of points. When the alignment is off, it results in uneven wear of the tyres and I absolutely dont want that. Especially in my small sporty car, these imperfections are magnified. But then, even in my Jeepy things, one can feel it on the steering and it isn’t nice.

This is why I disagree in reference to both of your comments above on tyre balancing, rotation and wheel alignment and will continue to follow my above mentioned schedule.

For the record, the tyres in all my vehicles are very well maintained indeed. The difference is tangible.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th May 2023 at 06:09.
Old 10th May 2023, 18:26   #139
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But then, even in my Jeepy things, one can feel it on the steering and it isn’t nice.
That's my point - you will know it if balancing is needed - also your car won't go straight if leave the steering wheel. If it needs balancing, you balance - but it's not something to be done to a schedule like oil change.

Re rotation, I find once in 20000 kms to be more than enough. The links I have given earlier explains why.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 18:57   #140
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far, but I think Tyre Rotation is overdone by some people. I think once in a couple of years is enough.
Tyre rotation hides wheel alignment errors and inadequacies in a specific tyre position when one arises.

It often leads to delay in realising severity and occurence of alignment problem, if any.
Old 12th May 2023, 03:57   #141
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
If it needs balancing, you balance - but it's not something to be done to a schedule like oil change.

Re rotation, I find once in 20000 kms to be more than enough. The links I have given earlier explains why.
I prefer all my tyres to wear out evenly and have an even tread etc.
So I always rotate all 5 tyres and bring the spare into play. Even in one of the cars which has only 4 tyres, because our Indian road conditions are harsh and unpredictable and because it is a 2 seater car and considering I use these quite expensive Michelin tyres on it, I also do keep a full sized spare in that car and I do bring that spare also into play every 5000-6000 kms or every year, whenever I perform the tyre balancing and wheel alignment.
The above maintenance pattern ensures my tyres perform better and last longer.
Old 7th June 2023, 17:31   #142
BHPian

Completed 2nd service (5k km/6 months) of my WRV today. This included a tyre rotation.
I am curious to know how can we really verify if they really rotated?
I can't visually confirm as my alloy rims and tyres are relatively new with 4200km on the odo and all look same.
I wanted to do some visual marking on the rims before giving my car but couldn't find time.
I closely looked now to see if there is any serial number on the tires and found something which looks more like a batch number rather than a serial number.
2 tyres have the same code and the other 2 have unique code each.
I should have noted these atleast before service which I didn't.
Can experts please comment on unique identifier for a tyre?
Mine is Bridgestone Ecopia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks