Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 21:39   #121
BHPian
 
chiranjitp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 425
Thanked: 2,397 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Interesting topic, it seems the main confusion is regarding whether to do a cross rotation with radial tires. While going through an old Maruti 800 service manual this is what I found:

Tyre rotation-tyre-rotation.jpg

Maruti it seems only recommends cross rotation of Bias tires (aka nylon tires). For the radial tires it doesn't recommend cross rotation, though it recommends that the spare tire be rotated with tires from one side.
chiranjitp is offline  
Old 9th March 2018, 00:13   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 4,485
Thanked: 30,339 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Maruti it seems only recommends cross rotation of Bias tires (aka nylon tires). For the radial tires it doesn't recommend cross rotation, though it recommends that the spare tire be rotated with tires from one side.
Wrong info brother. Just checked the owners manual(both soft copy and hard) of 2000 M800 and 2013 SX4

This is what they had to say:

Name:  CP1.JPG
Views: 1809
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  CP2.JPG
Views: 2138
Size:  52.6 KB
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 08:50   #123
BHPian
 
chiranjitp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 425
Thanked: 2,397 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Wrong info brother. Just checked the owners manual(both soft copy and hard) of 2000 M800 and 2013 SX4
After seeing your post I also went through my 01 Zen's owners manual. The diagram on that thing is the exact same diagram you shared from your 00 M800's owners manual, even the little code written on the bottom is same.

The photo I shared initially is from a Maruti 800 5 speed service manual, its a 644 page long pdf file. I am uploading the pdf here, please check page no. 185. The document looks authentic to me, what do you think? If this document is correct, then it seems even the Maruti guys were confused about this topic.

Maruti 800 12V MPFI Service Manual.PDF

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th March 2018 at 08:52.
chiranjitp is offline  
Old 22nd January 2019, 22:18   #124
BHPian
 
Ohh!Oxygen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangyfellas
Posts: 98
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Bumping up an older thread.

My Vento TSI runs on 185/60R15 Vectra. Completed the second service at 21000 kms. I specifically asked for wheel rotation during my last service and I have marked the tyres previously to know which side they are in before rotation.

After the service I did not see notice any rotation and all tyres are in the exact same place as before. When I enquired with the service advisor, he told me that he rotated the tyres and found the steering to be tilting towards left and he moved them back to initial position.

Am I being taken for a ride here?
Ohh!Oxygen is offline  
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:10   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Bumping up an older thread.

My Vento TSI runs on 185/60R15 Vectra. Completed the second service at 21000 kms. I specifically asked for wheel rotation during my last service and I have marked the tyres previously to know which side they are in before rotation.

After the service I did not see notice any rotation and all tyres are in the exact same place as before. When I enquired with the service advisor, he told me that he rotated the tyres and found the steering to be tilting towards left and he moved them back to initial position.

Am I being taken for a ride here?
That answer is definitely an excuse for him not having done the work. If he had done it and found the car tilting, he could have done WA and WB. Definitely don't pay for the tyre rotation labour he claims to have done.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:50   #126
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 8,613 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Bumping up an older thread.

My Vento TSI runs on 185/60R15 Vectra. Completed the second service at 21000 kms. I specifically asked for wheel rotation during my last service and I have marked the tyres previously to know which side they are in before rotation.

After the service I did not see notice any rotation and all tyres are in the exact same place as before. When I enquired with the service advisor, he told me that he rotated the tyres and found the steering to be tilting towards left and he moved them back to initial position.

Am I being taken for a ride here?
It is possible that they didnt bother doing it and gave some excuse when questioned.

However, traditional tyre rotation can cause pulling issues as well.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

A tyre is made of multiple layers of rubber, nylon cords, steel belts and whatever else tyre companies use. When a tyre is run for a few thousand kms, it develops a force within which would cause that tyre to pull either straight, right or left.

When you swap tyres from one location to another, the "forces" which have been more or less neutralised by each other are suddenly imbalanced and this can cause your car to pull either left or right.

Any of you who have driven for years may have observed this funny behaviour:

After Alignment, Balancing and rotation, the car is pulling to one side and when you go back to the tyre store, they check the alignment and find that it is perfect. To eliminate the pull, the technicians then swap the front tyres to the back or the left to the right or any combination possible.

After this swap, they take a test drive and see if the pulling has been eliminated.

This is done to identify TYRE related pulls and then using a high tech method of trial and error, find the best position of the tyres on your car

So, personally I believe that tyres shouldnt be swapped between the left and right when doing a blind rotation. A simple front to back is enough.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:14   #127
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19,460
Thanked: 12,690 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

This is done to identify TYRE related pulls and then using a high tech method of trial and error, find the best position of the tyres on your car
The road force equipment at shop helps eliminating this right? Have you seen cases where this phenomenon persists even after road force procedure?
Jaggu is offline  
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:32   #128
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 8,613 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The road force equipment at shop helps eliminating this right? Have you seen cases where this phenomenon persists even after road force procedure?
The Road Force Balancer helps us in identifying tyre related pull and makes a recommendation based on the measurements. It cannot eliminate the pull. The pull of a tyre is mainly because of two reasons: Tyre conicity and Ply Steer.

The final decision is still ours. If we decide to rotate the tyres, then the equipment will inform us in advance if the car will go straight or pull to one side. Depending on the magnitude of the pull, we can take a call.

In some cases, we have noticed that if we rotate the tyres, there is a huge amount of pull to one side. In this case, we have two options:

1. Run the car with the pull for a few hundred kms and hope the pull goes away or reduces. (by changing the inherent pull within the tyre due to either of the above mentioned reasons)

2. Dont do a rotating and keep that tyre at the rear itself so that the car goes straight.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 10:32   #129
BHPian
 
nanu28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 246
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Does anyone know how does the tire rotation affect the TPMS.
More specifically does the Tire Pressure Monitoring System still reflect the correct wheel locations, after we rotate the tires and reset the TPMS system?
Has anyone done this one a BMW?
Thanks a lot.
nanu28 is offline  
Old 28th January 2019, 12:57   #130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 84
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Does anyone know how does the tire rotation affect the TPMS.
More specifically does the Tire Pressure Monitoring System still reflect the correct wheel locations, after we rotate the tires and reset the TPMS system?
Has anyone done this one a BMW?
Thanks a lot.
If your tpms doesn't allow you to change the location, I was suggested by a tire technician to get the Tyre changed and keep the alloys in the same place. This way you only rotate the tyres.
atulsian is offline  
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:18   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,782
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Tyre rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
If your tpms doesn't allow you to change the location, I was suggested by a tire technician to get the Tyre changed and keep the alloys in the same place. This way you only rotate the tyres.

that will be too much of effort, dismounting and mounting them again, there has to be a better way to rotate with hybrid Rims
dadu is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks