Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2005, 20:20   #1
BHPian

Tyre rotation

I have Michelin certis tyres on my Getz.It is due for rotation now.The guys at General Tyres,JC road say they should be cross rotated.The Michelin brochures say they should be straight rotated (front to back & back to front).Are these uni directional tyres ??
Old 3rd October 2005, 18:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tyre upgrade/change/rotation info wanted

My car with 145/70 R13 tyres has clocked 17,000 kms... now i want to put this question to the experts here that is it the right time for Rotation or change or upgrade?.. i never have done either of them till now and my car is almost 1.5 years old now... please suggest what would be the best option...
Old 4th October 2005, 17:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just to refresh the topic...
Old 6th October 2005, 00:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
My car with 145/70 R13 tyres has clocked 17,000 kms... now i want to put this question to the experts here that is it the right time for Rotation or change or upgrade?.. i never have done either of them till now and my car is almost 1.5 years old now... please suggest what would be the best option...
What is your car? Zen?
I would say you get a new set of tyres, considering that you ran this much.
You can go for either 155/70 R13 or 165/65 R13 sizes, though I think the first one is the more preferred one(and also a safer bet).
Old 6th October 2005, 00:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

17000kms run...not too much...change or an upgrade can wait a bit (depends on the amount of wear)... for now a rotation would suffice.

Drifter
Old 19th June 2007, 15:40   #6
BHPian

Potenza GIII tyre rotation...

Recently I had the tyres in my Accent rotated (including Spare wheel). While rotating, I noticed that on the tyre there were rotational directions given on tyre. Potenza gIII The link says that it has unidirectional thread patterns...

But right now after the tyre rotation (According to Hyundai service guys, tyre rotation happens in the following manner... Spare Comes in Back Right, Back Right tyre goes to Front Left, Front Left goes to Back Left, Back Left goes Front Right and Front Right goes to Spare), I see that few of the tyre rotational direction has been inverted!.

My Questions...
1. Are tyres directional in nature, especially Potenza GIII? means to say, should it rotate only in one direction?
2. What would happen if the tyre rotation direction is inverted? Does it result in lower grip / performance etc?
3. If yes to 2nd Question, how should i rotate my tyres? I need to know this coz, I can ask tyre wallas to change my tyre positions accordingly!..

Regards,
Ant.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post

1. Are tyres directional in nature, especially Potenza GIII? means to say, should it rotate only in one direction?
2. What would happen if the tyre rotation direction is inverted? Does it result in lower grip / performance etc?
3. If yes to 2nd Question, how should i rotate my tyres? I need to know this coz, I can ask tyre wallas to change my tyre positions accordingly!..
1. Directional means its tread is designed and optimized for maximum performance in the slated direction only

2. Nothing explosive will happen if the rotation is reversed. The tyre will give below-optimal grip and performance. Under unavoidable circumstances such as the punctured tyre belonging to the opposite side as the stepney's orientation, there wont be any quick-fix solution but to use the wrong-sided stepney till you head for a close-by puncture shop.

3. Tyre rotation for unidirectional tyres is pretty limited since the stepney is always one-sided: RHS or LHS. THis would be the indicated pattern, assuming a RH stepney:

* Swap LH tyres front and back.
* Stepney goes to front right.
* Front right becomes back right
* Back right is retired as stepney

Last edited by theMAG : 19th June 2007 at 16:14.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:22   #8
Team-BHP Support

Try not to use Potenza GIII in wrong direction.
So tyres can be rotated front-back.
For spare wheel I recommend a non-directional tyre in the same width. That way you can keep on rotating the 4 tyres front to back.
My Potenza GIIIs lasted almost 45000kms before I replaced them.
Old 26th December 2007, 21:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Tyre rotation for Michelin PP2 etc

Just a little confused. Got my tyres rotated today. The guy did the following

Front Left <====> Rear Right
Rear Left <====> Front Right

Is this the correct way to rotate or should the tyres on the right hand side stay on the right hand side? The Michelin PP2s are assymetrical. The sidewall doesn't say a direction of rotation. Just mentions an outside.

I read at a few places that radials should not be shifted from left to right. Is this correct or should I get the tyres changed so that the front becomes the rear on the same side?
Old 26th December 2007, 21:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre rotation

[Rotating tires & Firestone - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts Serious Explorations

I found these online and they say all radials should be rotated only front <-----> back and not from right <-----> left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgestone website
Unidirectional treads are designed to perform in the direction denoted on the tyre sidewall only. They must always be rotated front to rear - despite the type of vehicle they are installed on - so the direction of the revolution does not change.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 26th December 2007 at 21:49.
Old 26th December 2007, 21:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

PP2 is an asymmetrical tyre and not an uni-directional tyre so there would be NO problem if tyres are rotated from left to right or vice versa.
Only the outside and inside portion of the tyre should be taken care off while mounting it on the rim.

Last edited by kpzen : 26th December 2007 at 22:09.
Old 26th December 2007, 22:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
PP2 is an asymmetrical tyre and not an uni-directional tyre so there would be NO problem if tyres are rotated from left to right or vice versa.
Only the outside and inside portion of the tyre should be taken care off while mounting it on the rim.
\

But what abt this ??

Quote:
Straight Rotation was developed in the early years of radial tyres
Old 27th December 2007, 18:46   #13
BHPian

In case of a FWD machine:

Front Left -------> Rear Right
Front Right-------> Rear Left

Rear Left --------> Front Left
Rear Right --------> Front Right
Old 27th December 2007, 20:17   #14
BHPian

In simpler words,

fronts go to back, same side.
Back go to front, opposite side.
Old 27th December 2007, 23:34   #15
BHPian

front ones go back in opposit direction.
rear one go in front same directions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks