Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2015, 09:21   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The alignment was being performed on a 3D corghi machine with an intergrated lift so it is a nice set up. Get all my cars done there. They guy informed that the camber on left front wheel is way out of limits and asked me to go back and show it to the guy who replaced my struts as some thing is wrong with installation.

Can you tell me how to get camber corrected and how badly will it affect the tyres and other things. ]
The variation in caster is more serious a problem than a camber variation in that report. Just for your reference, my SX4 has a slightly higher camber variation which was due to an accident 15k kms back and till date I haven't faced issues with it. No tyre wear or pulling. But in your case the castor angle looks to be unequal on either side. Perhaps the suspension overhaul was not performed accurately, or the car has taken a hit sometime in a deep pothole, kerb or hump.

Isn't the car pulling sideways as speed goes up?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 15:01   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Nikhil,
We went to get the alignment done for my friend's Rapid after an overhaul of the suspension wherein all 4 struts were changed as they were weak. Car has done 34,000 kms.

Can you tell me how to get camber corrected and how badly will it affect the tyres and other things. Attaching an image for your reference.Attachment 1332468
Excessive negative Camber can cause rapid tyre wear.

The Rapid doesnt have an adjustable camber. So, the only way to fix it is to take apart the whole suspension and put it back.

I dont know exactly how it's done though but I've seen a lot of people doing it.

In Delhi, I know Haryana Car Care who does Camber adjustment. They are based in Faridabad.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 21:20   #318
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to both of you. Got the whole suspension re installed again and the camber values came right back into the green zone. As Nikhil says, Rapid has a fixed camber and the only thing one can do is re install the strut or visit Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The variation in caster is more serious a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Excessive negative Camber can cause rapid tyre wear. .
Old 10th February 2015, 08:36   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I saw that Right camber and caster values are outside boundaries after the alignment.
Anoop,

Any luck on the issue since I too have noticed in latest alignment report for my Punto. I had raised the query in the Punto thread which went unanswered. In my Punto's case too, the front camber and caster readings are outside the required limit values. I was told that in order to rectify the issue, the entire suspension has to be lowered and adjustments done. The FASS technician further pointed out that in case of pulling noticed, merely adjusting the toe values resolves the issue which I found hard to believe.

Maybe experts like Nikhil can comment on this.
Old 10th February 2015, 12:04   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anoop,

Any luck on the issue since I too have noticed in latest alignment report for my Punto. I had raised the query in the Punto thread which went unanswered. In my Punto's case too, the front camber and caster readings are outside the required limit values. I was told that in order to rectify the issue, the entire suspension has to be lowered and adjustments done. The FASS technician further pointed out that in case of pulling noticed, merely adjusting the toe values resolves the issue which I found hard to believe.

Maybe experts like Nikhil can comment on this.
No update unfortunately - since I did not notice any pull, I did not probe it further. I have to go to Madhus for my alignment soon - will get it checked there and will ask for their opinion.

Please do keep me posted if you get any update.

--Anoop
Old 12th February 2015, 16:16   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

If your camber and caster values are outside the tolerances specified, you have 2 options:

1. Fiat Dealership

2. Third party garage who can fix these angles.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:39   #322
adu
BHPian

Hi Nikhil (nikhilb2008),

Posting here since I was unable to on the Madhus thread that is there. I kept getting a message that I am not allowed to post and I just could not figure out why when I am able to post on all other threads.

Anyways, my query is around WB and WA for my XUV500 and whether this is possible at your Tyre Professionals outlet on Kanakapura Road, Basavanagudi. I live in Jayanagar and this is the closest one compared to Langford Town and also given my schedule. Do I need to take an appointment here too?
Old 1st September 2015, 00:30   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The variation in caster is more serious a problem than a camber variation in that report. Just for your reference, my SX4 has a slightly higher camber variation which was due to an accident 15k kms back and till date I haven't faced issues with it. No tyre wear or pulling. But in your case the castor angle looks to be unequal on either side. Perhaps the suspension overhaul was not performed accurately, or the car has taken a hit sometime in a deep pothole, kerb or hump.

Sir
Reading your post, I decided to have a look at the alignment report for my car. Even I seem to have different caster values for both sides. In my case, the suspension hasn't been overhauled, but yes, the car has taken some nasty hits recently on potholed roads.
I am not much experienced with these values, hence request you to decode it for me and let me know the further repairs( if needed).

Thanks in advance

Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-20150901_001835.jpg
My car's recent alignment report

Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-capture.jpg
The reference values according to Maruti 800s Workshop Manual

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 09:13   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sir
Reading your post, I decided to have a look at the alignment report for my car. Even I seem to have different caster values for both sides. In my case, the suspension hasn't been overhauled, but yes, the car has taken some nasty hits recently on potholed roads.
I am not much experienced with these values, hence request you to decode it for me and let me know the further repairs( if needed).
Though I am not the best person to answer this, looking at the values and the reference values stated I feel it's alright and the caster values are within range. There is a difference of 1° but that's permissible according to the owners manual. As far as my personal experience goes, as long as you don't face any issues(pulling to side, irregular wear of tyres) its better to leave such small things as it is unless you plan to do a major overhaul of the suspension.

My query to NikhilB: Won't keeping total toe positive create a tendency for the car to pull to sides upon any small steering variation? Shouldn't the toe be in rather than out in order to keep the car going in a straight line?

Last edited by audioholic : 1st September 2015 at 09:17.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 02:44   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a doubt regarding Wheel-balancing. Recently changed tyres of my M800, log can be found here- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3802207

While getting the wheels balanced, I noticed that the outer lip on all 4 wheels didn't ask for any weight, while the inner lips demanded weights like 15, 10, 30 and 10g. Is that normal?? Or should I get it checked on a different machine??
Left Side-No weights
Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-20150919_121205.jpg
Right Side-No weights
Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-20150919_121224.jpg

I did however take my car on a long drive on empty highways just to check ride, no wobbling was found at any speed range.

Regards

Last edited by Leoshashi : 21st September 2015 at 02:48.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 07:26   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
While getting the wheels balanced, I noticed that the outer lip on all 4 wheels didn't ask for any weight, while the inner lips demanded weights like 15, 10, 30 and 10g. Is that normal?? Or should I get it checked on a different machine??
[
I did however take my car on a long drive on empty highways just to check ride, no wobbling was found at any speed range.
Nothing out of the ordinary.

The only time when I don't feel happy is when they have to put a lot of weight on the rim, anywhere. Then I usually would ask them to reset the tire and try again. In theory it should still be alright, but I just don't like this big blobs of balancing weights on my rims.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 11:29   #327
BHPian

Reposting in the right forum...

A query...
Camber, Caster and Toe reading indicate the health of wheel alignment. If the suspension is not right, even after doing the wheel alignment, will the readings have significant variations? Or is it that the variations will crop up after usage of the car (with suspension issues).
Old 4th October 2015, 15:36   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Reposting in the right forum...

A query...
Camber, Caster and Toe reading indicate the health of wheel alignment. If the suspension is not right, even after doing the wheel alignment, will the readings have significant variations? Or is it that the variations will crop up after usage of the car (with suspension issues).

After an alignment the readings for these should be within manufacturers specification. Variations will crop in due to usage. Not quite sure what you mean with suspension is not right. Depending on what is not right an alignment could solve it. But for instance worn bushes and or worn springs can not be solved through alignment. In fact it might be impossible to perform an alignment until that gets fixed first.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 15:43   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
suspension is not right.
Jeroen
By this i mean the strut assembly or the front vehicle structural assembly (apron) is not right due to damage caused by accident or wear and tear.
Old 4th October 2015, 16:13   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
By this i mean the strut assembly or the front vehicle structural assembly (apron) is not right due to damage caused by accident or wear and tear.
Fix it before you do the allignement.
Jeroen

Most Viewed