Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 14:39   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheel Alignment isnt necessary. Balancing is required though.
Old 28th March 2010, 01:19   #62
BHPian

What next?

@ Nikhil: Got the Alignment, Balancing done at a diff. guy.
Still the same nasty wobble in the car at speeds between 80 to 100 Ks
Can I get an opinion on:- is this in anycase related to the new shocks job done in my case just before the new wheels came in?
Where should I look under the hood?
Thnx in advance.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:45   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

It could be a suspension issue as well.

I am really unable to say anything now because the common culprits are ruled out. Why dont you just take it to the service centre and ask them to figure it out?
Old 28th March 2010, 11:25   #64
BHPian

Not a query, just experience. Got wheel alignment and balancing done at Global Tyres yesterday. He had Linea specs for alignment available in his PC. Charges were 350 for alignment and 100 for balancing. What I am curious about is that the guy there said balancing is required only for front wheels. Why so?

My doubt; whatever has been done, is it satisfactory/right? In the final outcome, I can see that hardly any setting has been altered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alignment.pdf (134.3 KB, 570 views)

Last edited by NutsNBolts : 28th March 2010 at 11:43.
Old 28th March 2010, 15:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
My doubt; whatever has been done, is it satisfactory/right? In the final outcome, I can see that hardly any setting has been altered.
Very weird readings.

- Caster and Camber specs have zero tolerance and Final readings are also out of spec.

- Final Toe in/out readings are way out of spec.

I doubt the specs, they look vague.

Can any Linea owner post their alignment sheet here ?

Nikhil - Can u confirm on this ?
Old 29th March 2010, 20:38   #66
BHPian

Any further views on this? Do I need to take any corrective action?
Old 29th March 2010, 21:36   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Will check tomorrow and post back here.
Old 1st April 2010, 22:13   #68
BHPian

Quite an informative and exhaustive report. Thanks Nikhil!

While I was stationed in Hyderabad, my Hyundai Tucson had this problem of mild pulling to right side which persisted in spite of the best efforts from Hyundai authorized service centers. The ASC's blamed their antiquated wheel alignment equipment and finally recommended an outside shop in Hyderabad and the problem was cured within 1 hr of debugging.

Now the problem seems to be returning back and I'm in Bangalore city which I'm totally new to.

Could any Bangalore BHP'ians recommend good Wheel Balancing and Wheel alignment shops near Sarjapur Road/Outer Ring Road. Feel free to suggest good options in other locations as well.

Need to swap my TPMS sensors as well with new ones (I already have spares).

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It could be a suspension issue as well.

I am really unable to say anything now because the common culprits are ruled out. Why dont you just take it to the service centre and ask them to figure it out?
My S C guys are blaming the new alloys to be culprit behind the mysterious wobble.

I argued with them saying that millions of people install after market alloy wheels and have had a great driveability.
The S C guys have a theory that the company alloys are duly tested along with the vehicle and hence I should have gone for the same instead of the aftermarket ones?

Now you tell me...Plati as a wheels manufacturer cant be cornered as the cause of this issue.
They have been making beautiful wheels sinces ages.
My wheels have been balanced with 20g each, which I think is a reasonable weight.

I have been telling my SC guy to please look (again) at the new suspension job done with the car recently.

I think the answer lies there. Whats ur hitch?
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:29   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, alloys CAN sometimes lead to this as well. But in that case, you can see a slight jump in the wheel/tyre on the balancing machine itself.

And Plati dont make the best quality alloys. Their USP is VFM and good looking designs.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:24   #71
BHPian

Hi Nikhil. Any comments on my post #64? I was anxiously waiting for your comments and if any correction is required.
Old 5th April 2010, 09:04   #72
BHPian

@ Nikhil

Update on my case:

After spending a good couple of days at my SC guy and pondering over how the new wheels could not be the root cause of my worries, heres what we did:

1. We changed the wheels on my car into stock alloys (from an Ambient Octy) . Result - minimal wobble & still left pulling issue observed.
2. Changed the wheels on my car into stock MS discs (from another Rider Octy). Result - wobble starts when braking at speeds like 100 or 120kmph.
3. I loaned my new plati wheels to the SC guy to try them out on his car.
Result - no wobble at all speeds!

Conclusion : Mr. SC guy, who has been so confident about his suspension job: well done on my car, all fingers point to your workmanship!

I have had the same hitch ever since this wobble issues creeped in. But the SC guy was unwilling to admit that it CAN also be a suspension/ steering assembly/ linkages issue.

Now I have to leave the car with them for 2 days, for them to suss it out..
Old 5th April 2010, 10:55   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

NutsNBolts --- Sorry. I've been a bit busy. Couple of days more please!
Old 5th April 2010, 11:12   #74
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Drifting Alto

Nikhil,

Would appreciate your inputs on this persistent problem i've been having with my Alto since the past 5,000 kms or so. I've got the wheel aligned at my usual place Madhus (Langford Rd) but the problem persisted. Took it to MASS during the routine 25k kms service and they haven't been able to fix it as well.

The problem is like this. The steering wheel has to be held slightly off center towards the right for the car to move in a straight line. If the steering is brought to dead center, then the car drifts alarmingly towards the LHS of the road.

I've checked this on dead straight levels of tarmac to be sure it wasn't the camber of the road that was causing this, but the problem still persists. I do a WA/WB/WR every 5000 kms and tyre wear is even on all 5 tyres.

There has not been any untoward incident of running over a stone/pothole at speed, nor have I had any collisions for this to start.

What do you reckon is the problem? Would appreciate your inputs

Thanks,
gpa
Old 9th April 2010, 19:20   #75

Hi Nikhil

Thanks for creating such a helpful and informative thread.

I have a Santro which has done 9k kms so far. While driving on highways the car tends to drag to the left and I constantly have to keep steering to the right to keep the car going straight. I understand that this is a WA issue. The is no vibration experienced even when driving at 110+. So is WB needed to be done?

Also my garage guy told me that WA and WB are always done together and only then I will feel the real change in handling. Is this true? I have not yet done either WB or WA on my car yet and this is the first time I shall get it done. Please advise. Also what is the approx price of the WA/WB?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks