Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2023, 15:15   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

A query about wheel balancing. The 14th year PMS was carried out for my Alto at MSM Chennai last Saturday. Ever since I replaced the five OEM tyres with only four tyres a few years ago, I have been telling them to do only four wheel rotation every year. This year while balancing the wheels during service the fellow said one wheel was bent! I was surprised because he was running the wheel on the machine after removing the weights, and called the SA. He made the chap run all the wheels on the balancer once again after after adding weights on both inner and outer sides. Then he told them to install the wheels in their same positions without rotating. He told me nothing needed to be done now, but I should replace the rims before installing new tyres, considering the current set of tyres have already completed five years (though run only 15k km).

The tyres are tubeless, mounted on steel rims. If the wheel is "bent" how will the tyres hold pressure? Probably he is referring to the side to side movement, to compensate which they add weights? What is the maximum tolerance for it and when should one change the rims? I don't feel any vibration while driving.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2023 at 11:32. Reason: typo edited
Old 7th October 2023, 11:10   #467
BHPian

Slightly Off-center steering wheel even after doing wheel alignment and balancing at Hyundai ASS.

It bugs me more because of the flat bottom steering wheel of Venue.

What are my options now ? Do I need to ask for wheel alignment again? This is my first experience with wheel alignment so I am not very familiar with the technicalities.

Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-img_1999.jpeg

Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-1e8c8bd9e4d54a7ba23cf59cabc38468.jpeg
Old 7th October 2023, 12:30   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Slightly Off-center steering wheel even after doing wheel alignment and balancing at Hyundai ASS.

I too had the issue with my Duster. Nobody gave me a solution. Instead, they all said it is normal, because the tires weren't affected. One guy suggested removing the steering wheel and adjusting it's position to fix the issue. It helped a little, but it didn't go away altogether.
Old 7th October 2023, 13:34   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post

What are my options now ? Do I need to ask for wheel alignment again? This is my first experience with wheel alignment so I am not very familiar with the technicalities.

Attachment 2514033

Attachment 2514034
This rear alignment numbers are unbalanced and can't be adjusted from factory.

Unfortunately the 'preliminary' wheel alignment method as adopted by this Hyundai ASS is inadequate to handle and resolve your genuine problem.

I would suggest you visit a competent (probably) outside wheel alignment shop whose clientle includes those visiting tracks and/or racing enthusiasts.
Old 7th October 2023, 20:39   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
I too had the issue with my Duster. Nobody gave me a solution. Instead, they all said it is normal, because the tires weren't affected. One guy suggested removing the steering wheel and adjusting it's position to fix the issue. It helped a little, but it didn't go away altogether.
It is NOT normal, but hugely common in real world which most wheel alignment so-called alignment 'experts' or practitioners (in particular oem service centres or dealers) would convince users like us to accept, and relieve them of appropriate resposibily.

Shifting steering wheel position relative to steering column as suggested is an age old bandaid, which unequivocally is a bandaid.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 11:08   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
It is NOT normal, but hugely common in real world which most wheel alignment so-called alignment 'experts' or practitioners (in particular oem service centres or dealers) would convince users like us to accept, and relieve them of appropriate resposibily.

Shifting steering wheel position relative to steering column as suggested is an age old bandaid, which unequivocally is a bandaid.
My case wasn't just an aesthetic tilt. The vehicle would start turning slowly towards the curb if I take my hands off the wheel. It was very frustrating. The reasons the authorised service technicians and wheel alignment shops said multiplied it ten-fold. One lectured me about the road being always slanting towards the curb that causes the tilt, another said its quite normal in all cars, and one even said that it's an issue only if the vehicle turns to the curb side immediately on releasing the hands. They all said one common reason why they felt it was normal- that the tires weren't wearing oddly.

My wife's Ignis has a perfect steering wheel. My new Isuzu MuX too. I eventually got out of the misery when I sold the vehicle off.
Old 8th October 2023, 19:18   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
My case wasn't just an aesthetic tilt. The vehicle would start turning slowly towards the curb if I take my hands off the wheel. It was very frustrating. The reasons the authorised service technicians and wheel alignment shops said multiplied it ten-fold. One lectured me about the road being always slanting towards the curb that causes the tilt, another said its quite normal in all cars, and one even said that it's an issue only if the vehicle turns to the curb side immediately on releasing the hands. They all said one common reason why they felt it was normal- that the tires weren't wearing oddly.

My wife's Ignis has a perfect steering wheel. My new Isuzu MuX too. I eventually got out of the misery when I sold the vehicle off.
These guys are merely parroting 'conventional wisdom' which they do NOT fully internalise and understand on something out of which they make a living as a profession..... whilst washing off their hands.

In a way, practice of wheel alignment works like a scam.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed