Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 11:14   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

Thank you for your response kpzen, its comforting in a way that this is the characteristic of C drives and no other issues with the car. To make it absolutely sure, I checked the alignment too yesterday and all was well.

Since you understand what I'm talking about, if I have to change to something better, what would you recommend? My priorities are comfort and less noise, but I'm very disappointed with the compromise I had to make with the C drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Been there done that !

The only problem with the C drives is the STEERING, which almost becomes non existent, extra light and vague.

Only solution to the problem is to run with a negative camber but downside is the tire wear on the inside.
Had them for 1000kms, did all kinds of trials with alignment and finally had to get them changed.

Other than this, the tires are quite grippy and brilliant in wet conditions.
I still have two of them running at the back.
Old 16th December 2011, 19:33   #197
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't live with the light and vague steering, hence changed over to bridgestone turanza ER-60 in same 195/60/15 profile. Noticed immediately the steering has become more direct and feels much better now. So far so good.

Thanks Nikhil and Kpzen for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Turanzas are a little better. Primacy LCs, I'm not too sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Been there done that !

The only problem with the C drives is the STEERING, which almost becomes non existent, extra light and vague.
Old 16th December 2011, 22:21   #198
BHPian

My civic has developed a problem. It keeps swerving to the left when I leave the when at the central position. At high speeds this seems almost violent.
The service manager said that they have aligned the wheels and balanced them but that does to seems to be working.
I also got the same done from outside, but that also did not have any effect.

What should I do?
Old 17th December 2011, 12:30   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Could be a tyre problem also. Could be a steering or suspension issue. Why dont you post the alignment report here? It could help us understamd what exactly is happening.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:43   #200
Senior - BHPian

This is a new addition at MSM. Brakes ok, suspension ok, but what is sideslip? Is it to with steering?
Attached Thumbnails
Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here-dsc00852.jpg  

Old 18th December 2011, 12:02   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Side slip tester is used to check the suspension for Toe-in or toe-Out.

How it works is like this:

The car drives up on the test lane. There is a metal plate which is allowed to move. One on the left and one on the right. So, when the front wheels move over it, depending on the Toe of that particular wheel, the metal plate will either move inwards(suggesting Toe-in) or move out(suggesting toe-out).

This is a quick way to check whether alignment is required or not.

You can read more about these test lanes here:

http://www.ravaglioli.com/sites/defa...9-011_IT_2.pdf

There are many more companies who make test lanes but I am linking you with this one because I am familiar with it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 23:55   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Could be a tyre problem also. Could be a steering or suspension issue. Why dont you post the alignment report here? It could help us understamd what exactly is happening.
I have been very busy lately. I have to send the car fort alignment again. Once that is done I will post the report here.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:32   #203
BHPian

Hi Fellow BHPians
Need some advice on Wheel alignment for Linea TJET. Given that the stock tyre specs are 205/55/R16 as compared to the normal Linea versions, my understanding is that a TJET should have it's own set of Alignment settings which are different from Linea versions. When I got my car aligned last week (Odo : 8600 kms), I have realised that it drags to the right and the steering is Off centre. I have visited atleast 3 different alignment centres but none had "TJET Linea" in the settings Menu. Looking for help to understand if I am wrong in my notions about settings or if any of the TJET owners guide me to an alignment centre with proper settings in Mumbai. Any help will be much appreciatedThanks!
Old 27th December 2011, 16:17   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Could be anything. Wrong toe, wrong camber. Without a proper alignment report, it's difficult to say anything.
Hi Nikhil
Here's the wheel alignment report. (attached pdf)
The guys at Darshan Tyres told me that the WA is 3D.

Do let me know if there's anything that can be done..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vehicle Report.pdf (207.4 KB, 334 views)
Old 27th December 2011, 16:30   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi Nikhil
Here's the wheel alignment report. (attached pdf)
The guys at Darshan Tyres told me that the WA is 3D.

Do let me know if there's anything that can be done..
I too came to know about the 3D WA recently when I visited Anand Tyres, opp Alfa Laval, old Pune- Mumbai road, to fill Nitrogen in my Manza's shoes.
They were actually using laser guidance too, for allignment. Planning to give my ride here, its next rotation.

O.T:
You have done more than 1.38 lakh KMS in your Octi Monaro! Thatz a great figure! keep going
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 23:04   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79

Nitrogen

O.T:
You have done more than 1.38 lakh KMS in your Octi Monaro! Thatz a great figure! keep going
Hi Maverick

Re: nitrogen; have you noticed that the ride gets a bit bumpier?
I think its maybe due to Nitrogen being more denser than air, absorbs less shock than a tyre filled with air.
Am I right Nikhil ?

Re: the mileage on my car..
Good observation that! Yes, the octy just turned 6 this November..and still going strong!
Old 28th December 2011, 12:06   #207
BHPian

Quote:
3D Aligners from Hunter cost around 6.5 lakhs and go all the way to 11 lakhs for the top end. Balancers start at about 2-2.5 lakhs and go upto 6 lakhs or so for the 9700 Roadforce.
Nikhil so if i am getting the tyres upgraded on my Swift straight out of the showroom & they offer alignment "free" with it, do I have to take the effort to find a place with 3D alignment or the basic alignment is ok since it's a new car?
Old 28th December 2011, 12:11   #208
BHPian

Not sure if there is a post on this topic, but can I adjust the visible 'steering tilt' in my swift after a wheel allignment job?

Can this be a D.I.Y ?

Old 28th December 2011, 12:17   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Hi Fellow BHPians
Need some advice on Wheel alignment for Linea TJET. Given that the stock tyre specs are 205/55/R16 as compared to the normal Linea versions, my understanding is that a TJET should have it's own set of Alignment settings which are different from Linea versions. When I got my car aligned last week (Odo : 8600 kms), I have realised that it drags to the right and the steering is Off centre. I have visited atleast 3 different alignment centres but none had "TJET Linea" in the settings Menu. Looking for help to understand if I am wrong in my notions about settings or if any of the TJET owners guide me to an alignment centre with proper settings in Mumbai. Any help will be much appreciatedThanks!
The alignment readings will be Te same if there are no changes to the suspension. What engine is in the car doesn't necessarily result in different specs for alignment.

Monaro, if you find the ride bumpier, reduce the pressure a little bit. I am browsing TBHP on the iOS app and I can't see your PDF attachment. I will reply later to that.

Avinash, it is upto you. The thing with regular wheel aligned is that the margin of operator error is higher. They can be as accurate as 3D wheel aligners. Also, brand new cars come aligned from the factory. Don't bother getting alignment done again once you exchange Tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m
Not sure if there is a post on this topic, but can I adjust the visible 'steering tilt' in my swift after a wheel allignment job?

Can this be a D.I.Y ?

You probably can depending on the car. Older cars like Zen, Corsa, etc had a removable Steering and the tilt could be set right by just removing the steering, and fitting it back on straight. I think it's better you get it done by a mechanic the first time. Next time onwards you can do it yourself.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th December 2011 at 21:45. Reason: merging as requested
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 15:04   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

I went to the service station for the wheel alignment but their machine was broken and would not be available for another 2 weeks.
They cross rotated the tyres and the problem seems to have been resolved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks