Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 22:02   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - Now in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for the update and congrats on the upgrade to PS3 and Bilsteins

Iam sure your enjoying the best of both these worlds ( Great tyres to compliment a greater suspension)

Since you used the LC prior to PS3. Could you give a quick feedback on difference on both of them assuming you have done some reasonable amount of kms on your new tyres?
Well I've run the PS3s for just about 200 kms and its a bit early to comment. But initial impressions are good. Of course fresh rubber will always feel good following a change from old rubber.

I'll just try to put a small comparison between the PLCs and the PS3s
  • Like all Michelins the PS3's too provide exceptional ride quality.
  • Tread pattern is much better to look at than the sombre looking PLCs.
  • The PS3s are really silent.They are virtually as quiet as the PLCs (so far atleast)
  • The 225s haven't really affected acceleration and car feels just as quick as before.
  • But I do feel a bit of increased rolling resistance while coasting to a stop for signals or when I lift off the brakes on slight inclines. The PLCs were low rolling resistance tyres and I can feel the difference.
  • I haven't observed FE, but I suspect it will take a slight hit due to the increased width of the tyres and the resulting increase in rolling resistance.
  • Steering does not feel any heavier due to increased contact patch. At speed the steering does feel a bit more connected to the road and there is better feedback felt at the wheel.
  • I haven't really pushed the car much as the tyres are still in the run in period. So I can't really comment on the grip. But the car does feel better planted on the road and the tyres do feel extremely grippy. Michelin claims much better wet weather grip which supposedly was a weakness with the PLCs. Not that I felt it lacking in the wet.
  • The PLCs aged really well. They did not become hard and noisy with age and that's what I really liked about them. I replaced them at 42K kms and with good life still left in them and I couldn't have asked for more. I hope the PS3 live up to my expectations coming from a well rounded product like the PLC.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 12:41   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If you are looking for PS3s does that mean you are getting 225/50 R16? I remember you saying you didn't want 225s.

See the PS3s and the Primacy 3 ST aren't going to be as strong as your CPC2s, so if you do get them you will have to be a bit more careful on bad patches, and watch out for rough objects etc. Basically you can't drive carelessly (I'm not insinuating that you do)
I was wondering on the same. With CPC2, I have driven the Cruze in the most brutal road conditions in some of the most notorious road terrories like MP, UP and UK. A few months ago as well drove through one of the most horryfing roads in KA when driving through a forest park but, the tyres held up pretty good

I do not mind trying the 225 though 215 is what my mind says to go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I'll just try to put a small comparison between the PLCs and the PS3s
Nice to see your feedback. I have used the Michelin XM+ Energy in my previous car for about 30K kms and truly enjoyed its quality.

Btw, what is this run-in of tyres?

So I will probably decide between LC, PS3 or CPC2 and now all that depends is the moolah that they will come for considering all of them are equally good.
Old 1st October 2013, 17:40   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, what is this run-in of tyres?
This article sums it up nicely why tyres require to be run-in

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=5
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 19:54   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So I will probably decide between LC, PS3 or CPC2 and now all that depends is the moolah that they will come for considering all of them are equally good.
Don't think you will get PS3s in 215. And these 3 aren't really equal in any way, they are pretty different tyres.
Old 2nd October 2013, 09:20   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And these 3 aren't really equal in any way, they are pretty different tyres.
That was just a rethoric way of speaking

CPC2 is brilliant in wet conditions, silent and decently grippy

Going by Santosh feedback, PS3 has brilliant grip and silent too. LC has similar qualities except wet condition performance.

So in a way they are almost equal in important parameters like grip, ride quality, sound and performance with PS3 and CPC2 maybe a little better than the LC.
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:09   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

See, you cannot compare PS3 with any other tyre on the market. They are out and out performance tyres. The Primacy LC and CPC2 are mainstream tyres.

It is like comparing a Ferrari with a Honda/VW.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:53   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That was just a rethoric way of speaking

CPC2 is brilliant in wet conditions, silent and decently grippy

Going by Santosh feedback, PS3 has brilliant grip and silent too. LC has similar qualities except wet condition performance.

So in a way they are almost equal in important parameters like grip, ride quality, sound and performance with PS3 and CPC2 maybe a little better than the LC.
Well I don't think you will get PS3s in your size. My suggestion is to go for 225/55 R16 Primacy 3 ST. It would be tougher than the PS3 and Primacy LC, being a made for Asia tyre. But it would still give you more grip because of the width (225s), and be more silent than your Contis with a better ride.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:25   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
See, you cannot compare PS3 with any other tyre on the market. They are out and out performance tyres. The Primacy LC and CPC2 are mainstream tyres. It is like comparing a Ferrari with a Honda/VW.
Interesting comparison. Honda vs. Ferrari. Iam not sure which is better

Jokes aside, Since your an expert on tyres, could you please list out a difference between CPC2 vs. PS3? This way i can relate to what iam jumping into

Quote:
Well I don't think you will get PS3s in your size. My suggestion is to go for 225/55 R16 Primacy 3 ST. It would be tougher than the PS3 and Primacy LC, being a made for Asia tyre. But it would still give you more grip because of the width (225s), and be more silent than your Contis with a better ride.
Thanks Akshay. Sound suggestion

Nikhil, would be interesting to hear your views on the LC and size as recommended by Akshay for the Cruze?
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:36   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
could you please list out a difference between CPC2 vs. PS3? This way i can relate to what iam jumping into
To simplify the confusion;

Continental Sport Contact series is a direct competitor to the Michelin Pilot Sport series.

The latest tires head to head from both companies are Continental Sport contact 5 vs Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

You may get a Conti Sport Contact 3 in the Indian market as i have seen my tire guy had some stock of this.

CPC2 is a Touring tire where as the Sport Contact & Pilot Sport series are Max/Extreme Performance Summer tires.

CPC2 can go head to head with may be Turanza from the Bridgestone or dB from the Yokohama or Primacy 3 from the Michelin stables.

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd October 2013 at 11:45.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Karan! Could not have done a better job myself!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 13:28   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
You may get a Conti Sport Contact 3 in the Indian market as i have seen my tire guy had some stock of this.

CPC2 is a Touring tire where as the Sport Contact & Pilot Sport series are Max/Extreme Performance Summer tires.
Now some of the fog in mind is slowing clearing. What about the life of PS3? Will they last 40K kms atleast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
CPC2 can go head to head with may be Turanza from the Bridgestone or dB from the Yokohama or Primacy 3 from the Michelin stables.
Boy, this is downright degrading the CPC2 .

Isnt Turanza one step lower than the Potenza (Sports tyres) and priced way lesser than CPC2 even if your comparing reason is touring?
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:58   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now some of the fog in mind is slowing clearing. What about the life of PS3? Will they last 40K kms atleast?
Well to be honest, i tell you PS3's are really soft compound and to expect them to perform to their best performance potential in Indian conditions we can expect life upto 30k kms max.

You may be able to squeeze out another 10k kms but the tires may not perform upto the mark, especially in low gear high rpm moments.

Quote:
Boy, this is downright degrading the CPC2 .

Isnt Turanza one step lower than the Potenza (Sports tyres) and priced way lesser than CPC2 even if your comparing reason is touring?
Not downgrading ! Its just a fair comparison of the tires in their appropriate categories

Regarding pricing, evidently Bridgestones are cheaper in the Indian market & hence the price of a Turanza would be cheaper than CPC2.

But both belong to the same Touring category.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:21   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Experienced another puncture over the weekend and looks like the current CPC2 have to give way to new tyres sooner than expected

A small hole in the border of the sidewall was the culprit for this puncture. Iam kind of getting fed up of the frequency of punctures which is 2000kms and 3 punctures in 2 months.

Iam looking at a tyre that is silent, comfortable and should perform decently in wet and dry conditions and should last around 40k kms.

What should I choose from the following?

1. Michelin Primacy 3 ST
2. Michelin PS3

Iam looking at a slight upsize to 215/60/R16 if not hope they atleast have stock size of Cruze which is 205/60/R16?

Whats the current pricing of these tyres in market?

P.S: Btw, is there any model in Yokohoma that is comparable to the Michelin ones? Iam not interested in S-Drives as I heard they wear out too fast
Old 15th October 2013, 12:41   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: Btw, is there any model in Yokohoma that is comparable to the Michelin ones? Iam not interested in S-Drives as I heard they wear out too fast
You should try Yokohama Advan Sport
Old 15th October 2013, 22:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt PS3 is available in your required size. You may be forced to go for P3ST.

Advan would be an expensive but superb option if you can find stock!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks