Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 09:38   #166
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,330
Thanked: 6,541 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have heard about Advan Sports being very sporty tires but with terrible road noise. Santosh, what is your experience with road noise?
No, they are very silent, almost Michelin silent. Of course the tyres are still new. I've done only 3000 kms so far on them. Real test is after about 7 or 8k kms. But as of now no complaints.

Edit : These are advan sport V105 and the pattern is different form the erstwhile advan sport.

Check out this link which has a test comparison report
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...VAN+Sport+V105

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th February 2020 at 09:49.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 13:06   #167
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 3,360 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
There are no options available in Pilot Sport 4 for 245/45/18.
I can confirm that this is indeed the case. The Pilot Sport 4s are only available in 245/40/18. Can't really recommend it if you're going to go wandering off road, so to speak. Perhaps the Continental CSC5 would be worth considering?
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 17:54   #168
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,341
Thanked: 10,669 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
No, they are very silent, almost Michelin silent.
Check out this link which has a test comparison report
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...VAN+Sport+V105
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I can confirm that this is indeed the case. The Pilot Sport 4s are only available in 245/40/18. Can't really recommend it if you're going to go wandering off road, so to speak. Perhaps the Continental CSC5 would be worth considering?
Thank you Santosh and Karan. I read the comparison article and also a few more. Looks like Advan V105 is a very balanced tire and almost all the reviews, it is a very close second after CSC5. But CSC5 has many reviews that it wears out faster.

As I already have tried CSC5 RFTs, I am going to try the Advan V105s this time. The dealer said these are easily available and cost around 17K.

There is still some tread left in my RFTs, maybe another 3K to 4K. Once these wear out, I will switch to Advan V105s.

Last time, I did not have any time to make any tire decisions as I accidentally noticed that the rear tires had gone bald in under 20K kilometers. This time, wanted to do all the research and be ready with the decision.

Thank you all once again for all the inputs
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 21:13   #169
ais
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 182
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by myM5 View Post
Hi Anand

So I have done 36000 kms on the tyres. Two have worn out, two are fine. Trying to figure why that's the case. Will upload images soon.
Bent alloys. Have you checked for that?
ais is offline  
Old 22nd March 2020, 01:13   #170
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 15
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Did get the alloys checked, they are good. Iím guessing it must have something to do with tyre pressure.

The new tyres are wearing evenly so far although I have driven only about 7.5k KMís so far.
myM5 is offline  
Old 4th October 2020, 11:02   #171
ais
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 182
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

After the installation of 17" Beyern forged alloys, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tubeless tyres following the original 18" M Sport light alloys getting bent, I went for a long drive from Panchkula to the fabulous Kumarhatti- Nahan road. I already had Bilstein B6 shockabs. The road has a bit of everything- straights, smooth turns, sharp twists on smooth traffic free sections, and of course, rough under construction sections of the Himalyan Expressway.

I'm mighty impressed.

The 'mild turbulence' like feel on rough surfaces is there at speeds upto 50kmph due to the Bilsteins. But beyond that, the shockabs absorb everything. The tyres add to the grip- its like a very crisp wafer like feel from the tarmac. The infamous dullness of the streering in straight ahead position is diminished, and almost imperceptible in sports mode. In fact, on concrete sections, the surface feel is quite prominent. Comfort is excellent, as is braking.

Anyone who has any complaints about the F30 (especially 330i Variable Sports Steering) being bouncy, lacking steering feel, 18" alloy bending, road noise, etc has solutions to everything with this combination. I do suspect that touring tyres like Primacy may work even better to take out the bubbliness of the B6, but someone will have to try it out.

I set the tyre pressure to the recommended 32psi front, and 35psi rear, nitrogen.
Attached Thumbnails
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-20200913_170430.jpg  


Last edited by ais : 4th October 2020 at 11:10.
ais is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:31   #172
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 37
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Hello Experts,

I need advise on my X1 tyres. My X1 is equipped with 225/50/R18 Pirellis. The car has done mere 14k kms in last 2.5 years and this is the second time I had a burst tyre. The first time was my mistake (very initial ownership days) but yesterday's incident left me perplexed. I was returning from Gwalior to Faridabad and while waiting at a toll plaza, the "low tyre pressure" warning came up at the front driver side tyre. On inspection, I found a big side wall tear and air leaking through it. I'm pretty sure that I did not hit any pot hole yesterday but yes I had hit few during the course of ownership. (It is almost impossible for me to avoid all pot holes). So I'm guessing that it was a slow damage. I switched to doughnut but costed me half an hour and ruins the trip.

Now I need to change the tyre and I'm very much inclined to switch to tubeless. But I'm unable to find suitable options in the above size. I would request members to guide me whether I should still stick to RFTs or switch to tubeless? Also, which make should I go for? I'm located in Faridabad.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 11:18   #173
ais
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 182
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Michelin is the best. They have a RFT Primacy in 18". Pilot Sport in tubeless.
ais is offline  
Old 19th November 2020, 18:06   #174
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 37
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

I finally took the plunge and switched to Michelin Primacy 4 ST 235/50/R18 against 225/50/R18 Pirelli RFTs for my X1. The change is under 1.5% so I went ahead. Changed both the front tyres. Rear ones are still original RFTs. The ride has improved for me and most important the peace of mind. It's a big big relief for me to continuously worry about tyres and keep scanning the road for minutest of pot holes
deepak_bajaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:02   #175
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_bajaj View Post
I finally took the plunge and switched to Michelin Primacy 4 ST 235/50/R18 against 225/50/R18 Pirelli RFTs for my X1. The change is under 1.5% so I went ahead. Changed both the front tyres. Rear ones are still original RFTs. The ride has improved for me and most important the peace of mind. It's a big big relief for me to continuously worry about tyres and keep scanning the road for minutest of pot holes
I have had one tyre burst already (side tear) within 3000 km of my purchase. I also own a X1 probably with the same size tyre as mentioned by you. I see that you have gone ahead and switched the front ones to Michelin tubeless, so a couple of questions.
  1. Would you be able to share the pricing for these tyres? You can PM me if not comfortable with replying on the forum
  2. Does the original warranty or will you hear anything from BMW saying you changed the tyres therefore so and so is off your warranty? You know they need the slightest excuse to say that.

I am seriously considering the switch from RFT to tubeless.
shiva75 is offline  
Old 14th December 2020, 18:50   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 37
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
I have had one tyre burst already (side tear) within 3000 km of my purchase. I also own a X1 probably with the same size tyre as mentioned by you. I see that you have gone ahead and switched the front ones to Michelin tubeless, so a couple of questions.
  1. Would you be able to share the pricing for these tyres? You can PM me if not comfortable with replying on the forum
  2. Does the original warranty or will you hear anything from BMW saying you changed the tyres therefore so and so is off your warranty? You know they need the slightest excuse to say that.

I am seriously considering the switch from RFT to tubeless.
Hi shiva75,

I got it from Michelin Authorized Dealer for 22.5K each. I also paid 2.5k for 5 year additional warranty for both the tyres.

As regards to BMW warranty, I back calculated it. Since my car is over 2 years old and if I had not purchased the additional warranty, I would not be thinking about it. So in worst case, if GOD forbid something happens, I will loose the money paid for additional warranty. I'm okay with it. There is no comparison with the peace of mind you achieve.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 19:58   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 41
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Per the BMW Service Manager in Deutsche Moteren, Bangalore, there are some serious availability issues of RFTs in India. This is after govt changed rules on import of certain tires in June 2020. Not sure if it is for all sizes or only a few 'lucky' ones.

My new X4 tire needs a replacement (a routine puncture by a nail and BMW recommends tire replacement ) and the ETA is 4 to 6 weeks.

Apart from the standard 1 year BMW advance secure package, I have 1 year extended assurance on tires from the dealer. However, if the issues with the RFT and its availability continues, it will push me faster towards the tubeless variants.
kiran_aithal is offline  
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:23   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,830
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
My new X4 tire needs a replacement (a routine puncture by a nail and BMW recommends tire replacement ) and the ETA is 4 to 6 weeks.
That's their standard operating procedure to replace tyre even for a nail. I would suggest you to have it repaired like a normal tubeless tyre from a shop and keep using.

Even if you have BMW Secure or Dealer Warranty, you will have to pay depreciation amount on tyre as per tread depth. Rs 2,500 + Depreciation Amount.

Replace tyre under BMW Secure only when tyre is beyond repair/damaged due to bulge or cut.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 15:32   #179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 41
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
That's their standard operating procedure to replace tyre even for a nail. I would suggest you to have it repaired like a normal tubeless tyre from a shop and keep using.

Even if you have BMW Secure or Dealer Warranty, you will have to pay depreciation amount on tyre as per tread depth. Rs 2,500 + Depreciation Amount.

Replace tyre under BMW Secure only when tyre is beyond repair/damaged due to bulge or cut.
Thanks el lobo.6061

I had it repaired and have driven around 500 kms since then with no issues. Since the tire, in total, has run only 5k Kms and had good depth, the SM told that it would not cost me more than 3 to 4k.

However, going forward, I will keep your advice in mind.
kiran_aithal is offline  
Old 3rd January 2021, 19:36   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,830
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
I had it repaired and have driven around 500 kms since then with no issues. Since the tire, in total, has run only 5k Kms and had good depth, the SM told that it would not cost me more than 3 to 4k.
Do ask the SA to measure the tread depth and then take a call on whether it be worthy replacement.

If it's less than 7 mm, you would end up paying 25% of new tyre cost. Not worth it, chucking a working tyre.

Minimum out go be Rs. 2,000 + Wheel Balancing Weights cost.

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-bmw-secure-tyre-info.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks