Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 20:16   #211
BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d or 330i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsi View Post
Its decision time for replacement Tyres on my BMW330i M Shadow- Sport
Going by how you have described the road conditions and your driving style, please avoid sizes like 245/40/18 and 235/40/18 (Option 1 in your quotation) as these will reduce sidewall and ground clearance. And I wouldn't really recommend 255/45/18 (Option 3) as well since it's an overkill size (too tall).

I would recommend a square setup of 245/45/18 for you. Many F30's abroad and even here in India run this size without any issues and it's perfect for you because you will get little more sidewall thereby improving comfort and ground clearance by a decent margin. Fellow TBHP member Moontan also runs the same setup on his F30. Conti SC5 are pretty good tyres as well.
Yakuza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 16:13   #212
BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

I too am in dilemma whether to replace the tyres with RFTs or go for Tubeless route. I have 320 d prestige model which has stock size of 225/55/R16. I noticed in the earlier thread that Dr. Mohit too having the similar model had opted for the tubeless tyres and was happy other thoughts regarding the same. Similarly I see other fellow members having better ride experience with the tubeless. The question which comes to my mind is does the rim size i.e. 16 have any different impact between RFTs and Tubeless. I see lot of other members do have gone the tubeless route having a rim size of 17 or 18 inches.

In the given circumstances where the imports are restricted if I decide to opt for the tubeless route do you think to go ahead with local brands like MRF or Apollo.

Has anyone tired Yokohama Advan sport in the similar size of 225/55/R16 and how has been your experience so far.
Old 26th February 2021, 19:02   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
The question which comes to my mind is does the rim size i.e. 16 have any different impact between RFTs and Tubeless. I see lot of other members do have gone the tubeless route having a rim size of 17 or 18 inches.

In the given circumstances where the imports are restricted if I decide to opt for the tubeless route do you think to go ahead with local brands like MRF or Apollo.

Has anyone tired Yokohama Advan sport in the similar size of 225/55/R16 and how has been your experience so far.
Just go for it.
A friend switched over to tubeless on his E90 320D CE which has 16" and is very happy.
Improved ride, better availability, and better grip.

Avoid the local brands by and large given what the 3 series is capable off. That being said, there are outliers to this statement such as the MRF Perfinzas. Have a look through Nikhil's post on the same when he used them on his Octy vRS.

The Yokos are a great option as well, as are Conti Sport Contact 5/6 which seem to be available.
If you can wait a couple more months, michelin & others may be available again.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 11:00   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Just go for it.
A friend switched over to tubeless on his E90 320D CE which has 16" and is very happy.
Improved ride, better availability, and better grip.

Avoid the local brands by and large given what the 3 series is capable off. That being said, there are outliers to this statement such as the MRF Perfinzas. Have a look through Nikhil's post on the same when he used them on his Octy vRS.
Thanks for the response, I have been using MRF Perfinzas on my Vento since last few months and the experience is very good. However, I don't seem to find Perfinzas in this size. Perfinzas are coming in size 205/55/16 so whether 20mm will make any difference in the ride quality. Since 320d is already low height sedan and with the bumpers in this country I am in dilemma.
Old 27th February 2021, 11:57   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response, I have been using MRF Perfinzas on my Vento since last few months and the experience is very good. However, I don't seem to find Perfinzas in this size. Perfinzas are coming in size 205/55/16 so whether 20mm will make any difference in the ride quality. Since 320d is already low height sedan and with the bumpers in this country I am in dilemma.
Do not go for a size smaller than what you have currently.
225 is the width of the tyre, 55 is the aspect ratio of sidewall to width of tyre, and R16 is the rim size.
Switching to 205/55R16 will reduce your ground clearance & ride (lower sidewall), impact grip and braking (lower width), and also impact your tyre circumference which will affect your speedometer accuracy significantly.

Stick to 225/55R16 and find something that would do justice to the BMW - Conti MC5 / SC5; yoko advan sport; or a similar calibre.
Check with other dealers as well.
If nothing available, do try and wait as the situation is improving slowly.
Old 11th March 2021, 16:28   #216
BHPian

Finally I got all 4 tyres of my car changed to Michelin Primacy 3 ZP. It cost me a bomb (20K each, about 3K more than the actual cost) but I had a long trip coming up and did not want to wait. The existing tyres were nearly 5.5 years old, had run 28K , become hard and more noisy. Thanks to all of you who helped me.Appreciate it. For my next change, I will probably try tubeless if the car is still with me that is😀.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 16:39   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Finally I got all 4 tyres of my car changed to Michelin Primacy 3 ZP. It cost me a bomb (20K each, about 3K more than the actual cost) but I had a long trip coming up and did not want to wait.
Good to hear. If you don't mind sharing, where did you source them and what were the manufacturing dates? Also, did the dealer mention about the Michelin 4 ZP coming to India in the near future?
Old 11th March 2021, 17:15   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good to hear. If you don't mind sharing, where did you source them and what were the manufacturing dates? Also, did the dealer mention about the Michelin 4 ZP coming to India in the near future?

I went to Tyre Professionals ( sister concern of Madhus) near Basavanagudi. They did not have it but sourced it from another dealer who had 4 of them left. The manufacturing date was 0420. Sorry did not ask about 4 ZPs but I was told that the tyre situation would improve in 3 months.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 14:56   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Thanks for detailed info, el lobo 6061.

Confirmed with SA that the tread depth is around 7mm and it is going to cost me not more than Rs 2500. If the actual cost is more, then not going for it.
After a wait for about 2 months, the tire shipment arrived at Deutsche Motoren Bangalore workshop last week and got it replaced. It costed me INR 2100.

Order was placed when the Odo reading was ~4900 kms and replaced when it is ~9000 kms. Per the SA, as mentioned by many others here, the tire import situation is likely to ease in the next 1 to 2 months.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 21:55   #220
BHPian

I have been waiting for tyre situation to improve but so far haven’t been able to source tyres for 16 inch rims. The tyre guy is suggesting to upsize and change my rims to 17 inch. He is mentioning that lots of tyre brands are available in 17 inch for BMW. He has 17 inch BMW original rims of X1 which he is ready to swap at attractive price. The 17 inch rims have been part of buy back transaction and he is ready to offer a guarantee on the same. How do I ensure that the 17 inch rims which he is offering are genuine, is there a way to check them. Also does upsizing the rims have any affect on shocks. My vehicle is already 5 years older but has a very less mileage and hence intend keeping it for long.
Old 7th July 2021, 22:18   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been waiting for tyre situation to improve but so far haven’t been able to source tyres for 16 inch rims. The tyre guy is suggesting to upsize and change my rims to 17 inch. He is mentioning that lots of tyre brands are available in 17 inch for BMW. He has 17 inch BMW original rims of X1 which he is ready to swap at attractive price. The 17 inch rims have been part of buy back transaction and he is ready to offer a guarantee on the same. How do I ensure that the 17 inch rims which he is offering are genuine, is there a way to check them. Also does upsizing the rims have any affect on shocks. My vehicle is already 5 years older but has a very less mileage and hence intend keeping it for long.
Given the 3 series also comes with a 17 & 18" option, there should be no issues with the upsize.
However, keep in mind that the higher profile would see a harsher ride (though after switching to tubeless, you may not notice the difference).

If it's original BMW you'll see the markings on the inner side of the alloy & quality - should be similar to your existing alloys. The big risk is to do with bends and the like which may not be visible to the naked eye, so unless he is a reliable source I would avoid buying used alloys.

Lastly, check online & with other dealers for options. If not Perfinzas, there are a host of other recommendations on this thread.
Old 8th July 2021, 11:49   #222
BHPian

So its time to change the tyres of my Mini Cooper Countryman D.

The stock size presently is 205/55/R17 and they are RFTs.

I have decided to go for Michelin Primacy 4 ST which are non-RFTs and the size available is 215/55/R17.

All parameters are same except 205 and 215 so just wanted to confirm if this is ok.

Also it seems the tyre availability is almost back to normal and are readily available for this size.
Old 19th July 2021, 11:10   #223
BHPian

To answer my own above question, I finally changed from RFTs to Tubeless tyres on my Countryman.

The new tyres are Michelin Primacy 4 ST manufactured in January 2021.

Also there is a slight change in size from 205 to 215 all else being the same. The dealer said that there wont be an issue as such.

So lets see how it goes. The ride has definitely been smoother and I think less rattling noise because of the softer tyres too.
neerajdan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:37   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Given the 3 series also comes with a 17 & 18" option, there should be no issues with the upsize.
However, keep in mind that the higher profile would see a harsher ride (though after switching to tubeless, you may not notice the difference).

If it's original BMW you'll see the markings on the inner side of the alloy & quality - should be similar to your existing alloys. The big risk is to do with bends and the like which may not be visible to the naked eye, so unless he is a reliable source I would avoid buying used alloys.

Lastly, check online & with other dealers for options. If not Perfinzas, there are a host of other recommendations on this thread.
Has anyone tried Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51 225/55 R 16 Tubeless 99 W Car Tyre, these are one currently available with dealer in Ahmedabad.
Old 21st October 2021, 13:23   #225
BHPian

Question around this.
I ran out 2 of my RFTs on my X1 2020 in 10k kms.
Wondering if I should change to normal tyres. What is recommended. Really looking for more comfort and lesser tyre noise.

Tyre size : 225/55 R17 all round

Big questions:
1. Does change to normal tyres affect warranty? Has anyone dealt with suspension warranty after changing tyres.
2. If its ok to change then which normal tyreS to go for?
3. If i need to continue with RFTs then which would be the best option?

Thanks all in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks