Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 14:27   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
I ran out 2 of my RFTs on my X1 2020 in 10k kms.
This is strange. 10k km is too less a running even for the RFTs to wear out. For RFTs, typical life is about 25,000km (I ran mine for 34k km on 1st set). I feel there is something else wrong (alignment or suspension issues) if your tyres (even RFTs) genuinely wear out in 10k km.

Quote:
Big questions:
1. Does change to normal tyres affect warranty? Has anyone dealt with suspension warranty after changing tyres.
2. If its ok to change then which normal tyreS to go for?
3. If i need to continue with RFTs then which would be the best option?
1. This is a grey area, open to interpretations. However, many people change to tubeless and I have not heard of a single case where any warranty was denied due to this. So most likely it is fine.
2. Michelin PS4 are the best tyres if you want to go normal tubeless.
3. If you want to stick to RFTs, then try Michelin Primacy 3 ZP (and these are available in the size you mentioned). For your requirements of comfort and lesser tyre noise, these are perfect.

My personal recommendation would be Option 3 above. I have the same RFTs (in the same size as you mentioned) on my 320d and I am having a good experience with them. You still get the benefits of RFT (safety) and quietness and comfort of a Michelin Primacy 3 series. Also, the ZP part (Michelin speak for RFTs) make them a bit harder than the conventional Primacy 3, and thus the handling is not sacrificed much. I have not felt even a tiny bit loss of handling when I switched to these tyres from the OEM Bridgestone RFTs that came with my car.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 11:19   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
This is strange. 10k km is too less a running even for the RFTs to wear out. For RFTs, typical life is about 25,000km (I ran mine for 34k km on 1st set). I feel there is something else wrong (alignment or suspension issues) if your tyres (even RFTs) genuinely wear out in 10k km.
Thanks so much for the detailed answer!! That really sums it up.
You are right, my alignment was off, and thats why the tires went out. I would experience a really bouncy ride and would attribute that to general bad ride of the X1. Realised alignment issue after noticing un-even tyre wear recently! A bit too late. However, post alignment my ride has improved significantly too.

I will look at availability of options 2 and 3. A little skeptical about 2 , because if there is some suspension issue then I don't want tires to be blamed.
Old 8th November 2021, 18:34   #228
BHPian

I'm also on the same situation now as I need to replace all 4 tyres on my X1(2019). I would prefer to switch to tubeless, but fear of having issues with the warranty is a concern. The options as I see:
1. Take the risk and switch to Tubeless. Which is the best of the lot in such a case?
2. Stick to RFTs. The current options are Bridgestone, Pirelli and Ultramile. Ultramile seems to be the cheapest, but how are they in terms of reliability?

Appreciate your inputs as I have to replace the tyres ASAP since have a long trip coming up. Thanks!
Old 8th November 2021, 19:37   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I'm also on the same situation now as I need to replace all 4 tyres on my X1(2019). I would prefer to switch to tubeless, but fear of having issues with the warranty is a concern. The options as I see:
My friend has switched to continental tubeless when the Pirellis decided to burst everytime the car goes out of town. Avoid RFTs they are useless on our roads, carry a full size spare.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 19:42   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
My friend has switched to continental tubeless when the Pirellis decided to burst everytime the car goes out of town. Avoid RFTs they are useless on our roads, carry a full size spare.
Thanks. I have managed to cover 25k on the stock Bridgestone RFTs and that is about their life! But have had numerous punctures throughout. I sure want to change to Tubeless, but my SA warns that it would affect warranty. Hence am worried to switch! What's your take on the warranty part?
Old 8th November 2021, 20:04   #231
BHPian

Quote:
1. Take the risk and switch to Tubeless. Which is the best of the lot in such a case?
2. Stick to RFTs. The current options are Bridgestone, Pirelli and Ultramile. Ultramile seems to be the cheapest, but how are they in terms of reliability?

Appreciate your inputs as I have to replace the tyres ASAP since have a long trip coming up. Thanks!
I would suggest sticking with the RFT’s as the stronger sidewalls will be able to withstand road shocks of Indian roads better. The value of RFT will be known when you have a tire burst at night on the highway and need to drive to a suitable location. This will not be possible with regular tubeless. Also the X1 size in Pirelli RFT is priced around 1,000 - 2,000 more than the regular Pirelli tubeless. (22 - 23,000) Considering the advantages, much better value for money.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 20:15   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I have managed to cover 25k on the stock Bridgestone RFTs and that is about their life! But have had numerous punctures throughout. I sure want to change to Tubeless, but my SA warns that it would affect warranty. Hence am worried to switch! What's your take on the warranty part?
This one too is a 2019 X1, never bothered about warranty because there is no other way to use the vehicle, besides the tyres are of the same size and it does not mess with anything else. RFTs get pinched easily on rough roads and crack their sides open, he is running continental tubeless with 2 PSi over inflated for good measure.

BMW or their warranty is not going to rescue you when you are stuck between two forest gates and having to change the tyre on your own while the big cats are watching your back
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 20:39   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I would suggest sticking with the RFT’s as the stronger sidewalls will be able to withstand road shocks of Indian roads better. The value of RFT will be known when you have a tire burst at night on the highway and need to drive to a suitable location. This will not be possible with regular tubeless. Also the X1 size in Pirelli RFT is priced around 1,000 - 2,000 more than the regular Pirelli tubeless. (22 - 23,000) Considering the advantages, much better value for money.
Thanks! Are the stronger sidewalls the reason that make the RFTs prone to punctures? It had been far too many punctures I have had in the last 2 years compared to the previous cars I owned. Also, the price difference is more when you compare a Conti CC5 or a Michelin (around 11k) versus Pirelli RFT(17k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This one too is a 2019 X1, never bothered about warranty because there is no other way to use the vehicle, besides the tyres are of the same size and it does not mess with anything else. RFTs get pinched easily on rough roads and crack their sides open, he is running continental tubeless with 2 PSi over inflated for good measure.

BMW or their warranty is not going to rescue you when you are stuck between two forest gates and having to change the tyre on your own while the big cats are watching your back
True, but my drives are usually in the urban jungle highways mostly! I'm more concerned on the warranty part as I do not want BMW to simply blame the tyres for any suspension issues!
Old 8th November 2021, 21:17   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Are the stronger sidewalls the reason that make the RFTs prone to punctures? It had been far too many punctures I have had in the last 2 years compared to the previous cars I owned. Also, the price difference is more when you compare a Conti CC5 or a Michelin (around 11k) versus Pirelli RFT(17k).
I’m not sure why youre facing so many punctures,(maybe just bad luck) we have a 320D at home which is on its second set of Bridgestone RFTs and they have performed excellently, maybe one or two punctures in the running of almost 100,000 kms. Have faced a tire burst once, and the fact that I could drive the car even when fully flat, one understands what RFTS are meant for. The rate i quoted was of a 18inch Pirelli RFT for X1. Haven’t heard of any major issues with the Pirelli tires a friend of mine has an X1 which I have used outstation too.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2021 at 05:34. Reason: Quote tags fixed
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 18:42   #235
BHPian

Guys, I would not recommend to change RFTs to tubeless ones, I for one had a recent experience where the rear right side RFT burst due to incorrect wheel alignment(after investigation by deutsche motoren, Noida I believe).

All this happened on the eastern peripheral highway with nobody on the road and no garages or even petrol pumps there, and we were able to easily travel to the nearest BMW service centre which was around 60KM from where the tyre burst.

If I had tubeless tyres on my X3, I would have had to replace it myself immediately and the car was filled with luggage to the brim with middle seats flattened out.

Since we had RFTs, I could easily travel at a lower speed for another 60KMs and got it replaced immediately.
snowmane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 19:55   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmane View Post

All this happened on the eastern peripheral highway with nobody on the road and no garages or even petrol pumps there, and we were able to easily travel to the nearest BMW service centre which was around 60KM from where the tyre burst.
Could you please share some pics of this tyre burst? Haven't heard of anybody being able to drive on an RFT tyre which has cracked open. I think it can only manage to be driven with punctures.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 23:31   #237

Is OEM BMW stock alloy cast or forged. Does number of spokes have effect on strength of alloys.
Old 1st August 2022, 09:54   #238
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameergarg View Post
Is OEM BMW stock alloy cast or forged. Does number of spokes have effect on strength of alloys.
OEM are cast, not forged. I switched to Bayern forged alloys. However, Bayern does not have the holes for wheel alignment sensors that BMW workshops use to fit into, so Krishna Motors Chandigarh used another cars wheels of the same size (17") on my car to align, then installed my wheels.
ais is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 13:39   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
OEM are cast, not forged. I switched to Bayern forged alloys. However, Bayern does not have the holes for wheel alignment sensors that BMW workshops use to fit into, so Krishna Motors Chandigarh used another cars wheels of the same size (17") on my car to align, then installed my wheels.
Could u please mention the price and dealer from whom you purchased. Do they exchange OEM alloys.
Old 6th August 2022, 05:16   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm more concerned on the warranty part as I do not want BMW to simply blame the tyres for any suspension issues!
Late response of the year award, I will take it.

I switched to tubeless on day 1 on BMWs, and purchased BSI + service plan each time. Never had a warranty claim denied and why should it, logically? Just offering real life perspective on warranty impact. Cars are not specced to a particular type / brand of tire, they are specced to tire sizes and speed ratings AFAIK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks