Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 09:10   #241
ais
BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameergarg View Post
Could u please mention the price and dealer from whom you purchased. Do they exchange OEM alloys.
Darshak is the dealer for Bayern Ph-+919820798321. For Rays (which has excellent models 17" upwards) etc, you can contact Karan Shah +919833666333.

Yes, alloys in good condition can be sold on Team-BHP.com classified and Olx. I sold mine with run flat tyres @1.5 lakhs. Bansal Tyres at Chandigarh will by them but at scrap value.

Last edited by ais : 7th August 2022 at 09:13.
Old 8th August 2022, 11:03   #242
BHPian

Dear Experts,
I am an old member is TBhp, but had not been able to produce a lot of posts though.
I m just contemplating about buying a old germans for my primary use, exchanging my Creta 2019. Few of the following inputs would really be helpful.

1. Can anybody in Kolkata guide me on the perspective of buying a old Audi / BMw/ Merc? Shall DM to connect then.

2. Got a 320D from OSL prestige, kolkata from their used card division, quoting 20L for a 320D sportline, 2016 model. It will also come with 2 year BMW assurance and 3 years of BSI+.

3. Is there any dependable independent workshop in Kolkata who has good reputation for maintaining these luxury brands?

4. Which one is more reliable between Audi A3 ans BMW 320D?

Also, please share your thoughts if the decision is wise enough to go for it. Its my childhood dream to own one and no other options will be considered than these three.
Old 9th September 2022, 09:26   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, some advice required. Have recently moved to Pilot Sport 4 tubeless (225/50/17) on my 330i Sport from the OEM Turanza T005 RFTs.

Details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5393854

My query is what pressure should I maintain on the new tubeless set? My RFT pressures (broadly) were as follows:

1. 1 to 3 occupants (predominantly city): 33 psi all around
2. 3 to 4 occupants with luggage - highway: 36/39. BMW recommends 39/42!

What should I maintain now given I need to factor in tubeless tyres? I generally drive spiritedly.
Old 9th September 2022, 10:54   #244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys, some advice required. Have recently moved to Pilot Sport 4 tubeless (225/50/17) on my 330i Sport from the OEM Turanza T005 RFTs.

My query is what pressure should I maintain on the new tubeless set? My RFT pressures (broadly) were as follows:

What should I maintain now given I need to factor in tubeless tyres? I generally drive spiritedly.
Maintain the same pressure. The BMW recommended pressures are only in the sake of fuel economy and emissions. Keep your previous pressure levels and it would be fine.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:03   #245
BHPian

Quote:

Hello! I tried to get the G20's tyre pressure sticker from google and it shows that full load pressure recommendation is 39(front)/46(rear)

Name:  BMW G20 pressure.JPG
Views: 523
Size:  42.9 KB

Since you are based in pothole-ridden Bangalore, I suggest that you amp up your 1~3 pax pressure to 36 PSI all round and for 4~5 Pax, go for 39 PSI all round. If your luggage weighs more than 50 kg, increase the rear pressure to 42 PSI. 46 is overkill no matter what BMW recommends and there's the risk of the tyre wearing out excessively in the center compared to the sides at high pressures.

Most important thing is to always inflate your tyres when they are "cold" - that is, they should not have been driven more than 1-2 km (non spiritedly ) and it should be done in the evening or early in the morning before it gets hot, and your car should not have been parked in the hot sun ideally.

In a crunch, if you do have to top up the pressure in hot conditions after continuous driving, set it to a value that is 3 PSI higher than what I had mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Maintain the same pressure. The BMW recommended pressures are only in the sake of fuel economy and emissions. Keep your previous pressure levels and it would be fine.
As a tyre industry professional, I would strongly dissuade you from going for 33 PSI and there is a scientific reason. the sidewall height for 225/50R17 is only 112.5 mm (when not under load), and subtracting the rubber part on the tread and the bead, it comes down to just under 80 mm.

The unit deflection of the tyre under load goes up by 25% @ 33 PSI compared to @ 36 PSI. Considering a pothole size of 50 mm (of which there are many in bangalore), in order to avoid impact damage on the inner side of the tyre, the loaded sidewall height has to be at least more than that 50 mm value, which would happen only at 36 PSI for a load of 600 kg per tyre (which would correspond to the full load condition of the BMW 3 series). On the other hand, we do not top up the pressure every day, and the average pressure loss is 1~1.5 PSI per week depending on type of usage. This is how I came up with the value 39, assuming a bi-weekly air top-up schedule which means at no point are his tyres at a pressure below 36 PSI.

To help understand how low pressure causes impact damage on potholes (especially for low profile tyres), I 'm attaching an image of how the tyres would deform so that you can visualize better.

Name:  Pinching.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  44.5 KB

Hope this helps!

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 9th September 2022 at 11:20.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:51   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My query is what pressure should I maintain on the new tubeless set? My RFT pressures (broadly) were as follows:.
As a thumb rule, please maintain 2psi more then the pressure you were maintaining with RFTs.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 19:57   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Maintain the same pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Since you are based in pothole-ridden Bangalore, I suggest that you amp up your 1~3 pax pressure to 36 PSI all round and for 4~5 Pax, go for 39 PSI all round. If your luggage weighs more than 50 kg, increase the rear pressure to 42 PSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
As a thumb rule, please maintain 2psi more then the pressure you were maintaining with RFTs.
Thank you all, will maintain 35-36 in city and ramp up to 39 psi on highways.
Old 11th September 2022, 15:24   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all, will maintain 35-36 in city and ramp up to 39 psi on highways.
A cold pressure of 33 Psi will get the pressure to 35-36 after driving for about 20 Kms.

36-38 on highways can be the target pressure after sufficient warm-up.

If you set the cold pressure to 39 Psi, it will shoot up to 45 Psi, after driving for above 200 / 300 Kms.

Please have that in mind.

Can this be sourced? Any input / idea will be of great help!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 11th September 2022 at 15:44.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 16:13   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As a tyre industry professional, I would strongly dissuade you from going for 33 PSI and there is a scientific reason. the sidewall height for 225/50R17 is only 112.5 mm (when not under load), and subtracting the rubber part on the tread and the bead, it comes down to just under 80 mm.
Thanks for correcting it to 39/46. Those are truly crazy numbers!

Let me know your thoughts on this?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5399311
Old 11th September 2022, 16:38   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I usually keep 34 Psi cold pressure when I start a long journey. By the time I reach the destination, the pressure will read around 38-40 Psi. This depends on the way we drive too.

I personally think that keeping anything more than 35 Psi (cold condition) for long journeys is too much. Ride can get too bouncy, will add more work and stress on the shock absorbers and also, grip levels will come down. You can also observe that the steering feels lighter at abnormally high tyre pressures.

JMT.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 17:06   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for correcting it to 39/46. Those are truly crazy numbers!

Hi! With all due respect, I strongly disagree with Chetan sir - you should never compensate for what the pressure would be after spirited driving - reason is that once you park the car, the pressure is going to come down to the original value. This is why I had mentioned that you should set your pressure when the tyres are cold.

Also check out the post I had written regarding tyre pressure increase due to usage and cause of blowouts :-

Quote:
Hello! Tyres can reach a temperature around 25~30 degrees higher than the ambient atmospheric temperature. So on a hot day in North India where it can touch 45~47, it can hit 75 degrees without cause for any alarm. Rubber properties start degrading only above 90 degrees which tyres are never going to reach.

Contrary to popular opinion, tyres do not burst due to "high pressure" like a balloon - at least in the passenger vehicle category, where the max pressure the tyre is designed for is 51 PSI, which again nobody in their right mind is going to fill. You might have read reports of many tyre bursts on the Yamuna Expressway when it opened, which would mention that concrete roars induce more heat than tar roads and this is the culprit.

There is a bit more to this - heat by itself is not going to cause a tyre burst - as long as there is no component separation which has already initiated in the tyres - but this is impossible to know because early stages of component separation are rarely visible outside.

High temperatures cause the air inside to expand and the pressure increases by approx 1.5 PSI for every 10 degrees. This means that after, say, an hour of continuous driving, if you are topping up the pressure on your tyres, you should factor this in and inflate it to 3~4 PSI above your normal pressure. When you park your car in the shade for a couple of hours after doing it, the pressure would drop back to normal levels. This is called "cold pressure" and this is what you need to be maintaining. Coming back to the cause of tyre bursts, it is a combination of high speed, high temperatures and lower than normal pressures, which would cause the tread and sidewall to flex at a high frequency and induce separation of the components like belts, tread, etc. If you take care of your pressure and drive at moderate speeds (not excessively high like 140+), you can rest easy. Case in point - Honda recommends a 3 PSI higher pressure if you are driving at high speeds.

Attachment 2350688

So in a nutshell, high pressure is never the problem (unless you are at excessively high pressures like 45+ PSI where you will start losing grip because of the reduced footprint size, and of course also comfort), it is almost always a combo of low pressure and high temperature.
High pressure is never the problem, you should never compensate for the pressure that would build up after spirited driving. Always set cold pressure at the values I had recommended and be rest assured that it will come down when you park the car. If you’re in a situation where you have to top up air after spirited/long driving, always go for a value 3 PSI higher.

Cheers
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:30   #252

Guys - need advise - I have an F34 320d GT luxury line 2017 model with Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/50 R18 tyres. It is time to replace them as they have run their course and have an affiliation to getting punctured. I am slightly tight on budget and am ok to go tubeless - middle end of the spectrum. Would request few options on what I could go ahead with and also if there are any good dealer recommendations in Mumbai (SantaCruz West). Few options that I have considered - Bridgestone Turanza T001 225/50 R17, Falken ZIEX ZE912 225/50 R18 (should it be 85 W or 95 W TL) and Apollo APTERRA H/P 225/50 R18. I would prefer Tyre south of INR 14000.
Old 16th October 2022, 19:46   #253
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharat83 View Post
Guys - need advise - I have an F34 320d GT luxury line 2017 model with Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/50 R18 tyres. It is time to replace them as they have run their course and have an affiliation to getting punctured. I am slightly tight on budget and am ok to go tubeless - middle end of the spectrum. Would request few options on what I could go ahead with and also if there are any good dealer recommendations in Mumbai (SantaCruz West). Few options that I have considered - Bridgestone Turanza T001 225/50 R17, Falken ZIEX ZE912 225/50 R18 (should it be 85 W or 95 W TL) and Apollo APTERRA H/P 225/50 R18. I would prefer Tyre south of INR 14000.
I ve written about my own experience with RFTs. I find them useless, even abroad, basis what happened to me in France. In India, RFT’s are doubly useless considering our road conditions and debris and things.
Tubeless makes best sense here.

A friend of mine is using Bridgestone Turanza tubeless on his Audi A6 and is extremely pleased with them. Hence you may want to consider these.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 20:34   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I ve written about my own experience with RFTs. I find them useless, even abroad, basis what happened to me in France. In India, RFT’s are doubly useless considering our road conditions and debris and things.
Tubeless makes best sense here.

A friend of mine is using Bridgestone Turanza tubeless on his Audi A6 and is extremely pleased with them. Hence you may want to consider these.
Thanks - I had a Creta prior to this and in 5 years, I had encountered 3-4 punctures. For some reason, these RFTs keep getting punctured and the damn BMW TPMS errors ruin the driving experience by reminding you endlessly of low tyre pressure. While RFTs may have its set of advantages, am unsure if my sedate (majorly non highway) driving necessitates a RFT. Apart from Turanza, would you have any recommendation from homegrown brands.
Old 16th October 2022, 20:56   #255
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharat83 View Post
Thanks - I had a Creta prior to this and in 5 years, I had encountered 3-4 punctures. For some reason, these RFTs keep getting punctured and the damn BMW TPMS errors ruin the driving experience by reminding you endlessly of low tyre pressure. While RFTs may have its set of advantages, am unsure if my sedate (majorly non highway) driving necessitates a RFT. Apart from Turanza, would you have any recommendation from homegrown brands.
See pic. Cooper. France. 2019. RFT. Useless.

Ref homegrown brands Im not sure for your specific tyre size requirement.
Attached Thumbnails
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-a412278b990c44158ff8f575831c4932.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks