Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 21:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey ackyash, post some more of your ride !! That snap makes the car look sweet in silver... the rims go really well with it.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am super ecstatic and relieved to post this.

I finally trashed the RFT's for regular tubeless tyres. Continental ContiPremiumContact2 (CPC2), 205/55 R16 91V. I wanted to upsize to 225/50 but Dad wasn't in favour. Specifically asked for 91V (240kmph) instead of 91H (210kmph). Got the deal done from Saifee, the tyres too a while to arrive but once they did, the work was carried out pretty quick.

Immediately, one can feel the difference. The ride is now so good, so damn good that I'm tempted to say it has lent the car a certain degree of waftability !! It's no Rolls, but the difference in ride is glaring, it smacks you in the face for not having done this on the day of delivery. I will never tire of telling prospective BMW owners on Team-BHP to take their car straight to Premji Tyres (for some reason, he's the only one who takes in the RFT's at decent value) and switch to regular tubeless at no cost, in most cases.

Of course, I've only driven it for about 12km now, but that included a couple of moderate patches of road as well as concrete. First impressions;
  • The steering is now easily 20% lighter at parking speeds (that's still pretty hard).
  • Grip seems to be fine. I did a couple of quick bursts and turns while the road was wet, and the car held up perfectly well.
  • I can't tire of praising the ride. I no longer care if the ride on the C-Class is a little better.
  • Tyre noise seems to have reduced a bit. I base this on the last couple of kilometres which means the Sealink straight.
I got peanuts for the RFT's, but I no longer care. Space saver in place, tubeless tyres all around . Enough of worrying about tyres now !!

I had asked for 32psi all around, but obviously I didn't really trust Saifee to get that bit right. So while my first few kilometres were on 35-36 psi and still the difference in right was night and day. I stopped by my usual fuel bunk and got the pressure checked, and corrected to 32 all around, and that made the last 5-odd kms even more comfortable (oh crap, I forgot to reset the TPMS). Any suggestions on what pressure to maintain? I think 31-32 should be fine.

Credits : Sahil (truly distinguished, always helpful), Zeddo & Ackyash (testimonials), and obviously, nikhilb2008 !!

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-photo0870-medium.jpg

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-photo0874-medium.jpg

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-photo0888-medium.jpg

Before I forget... my Continental purchase entitled me to a wonderfully packaged pair of sunglasses and a wristwatch, promptly handed over by Jitubhai once the deal was done. Unexpected, and a pleasant surprise.

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-photo0889-medium.jpg

Oh and one last thing... since I was anyway getting rid of the RFT's, I decided to go to an empty backroad, for one last hurrah Switched off the DCT (traction control) for the first time ever, and gave it the beans. And holy moly, that beast goes completely berserk with the DCT off. I'm not doing that again for a loooooong time...

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th July 2010 at 20:36.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2010, 15:04   #33

how do i reset tpms? not read the manual yet.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisabhi View Post
how do i reset tpms? not read the manual yet.
Do you have the CE or the Highline ? On the Highline I think there is an option of resetting it on the iDrive. On the CE, it can be done via the MID on the instrument cluster. On your left indicator, toggle up or down till you see the tyre sumbol and press the button to reset the value to the current value. You have to be parked in "P" to see these options.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:33   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats! I'm glad you finally did it!
Old 28th July 2010, 18:34   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
. I will never tire of telling prospective BMW owners on Team-BHP to take their car straight to Premji Tyres (for some reason, he's the only one who takes in the RFT's at decent value) and switch to regular tubeless at no cost, in most cases.
I have read this somewhere, several times, I wonder why!!
Old 28th July 2010, 18:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Congrats! I'm glad you finally did it!
Aren't you glad or what? No more PM's, nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have read this somewhere, several times, I wonder why!!
It's your gyaan, after all. Wasn't going to take credit for it
Old 28th July 2010, 22:30   #38
BHPian

Congrats Flying spur ! Good to hear the news, you finally changed over ! Looks like youre really enjoying the ride, i havent experienced the RFT's (luckily) & am so glad the previous owner changed them for regular tubeless Goodyears ! Your Conti's must be simply awesome ! How much did they work out to ?

Btw, just to share my experience, i recently also discovered that wheel balancing & alignment cant be done anywhere other than the authorised BMW service center here in Blore :( Apparently there a few sensors to be adjusted & ride height check etc etc (connected to the stability control system) for which the tools are available only at the ***. Didnt want to take any risks & got it done as the *** itself. Not sure if aftermarket guys are available in Mumbai ?
Old 28th July 2010, 23:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

@ Nirmal : Don't know about the alignment and balancing, will have to check. Maybe other BMW users can shed some light on this. And yes, the Conti's are simply awesome. Thanks to you as well for your PM regarding the tyres.
Old 29th July 2010, 09:32   #40

many thanks Flying Spur. Mine is a CE. Bought it last month from Infinity.
Your posts are very helpul. I use my car only on the weekends. Have been traveling and hence not able to see the manual yet. Are you saying that after every air fill i need to readjust/reset the tire settings. Do not get the logic here. i thought that it would just give me feedback on the tire pressure. I have RFT and am maintaining 31 for front and 36 for rear. Is that optimum?
Old 29th July 2010, 11:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
many thanks Flying Spur. Mine is a CE. Bought it last month from Infinity.
Join us one Sunday morning then

Quote:
Your posts are very helpul. I use my car only on the weekends. Have been traveling and hence not able to see the manual yet.
Thank you, glad to be of help. Don't read the manual. It's painful and elaborate. I swallowed male ego and decided to read a users manual for the first time ever with this car, and it was a scarring experience I am still reeling from the after-effects !!

Quote:
Are you saying that after every air fill i need to readjust/reset the tire settings. Do not get the logic here.
Resetting the TPMS after refilling nair sets your default pressure value to that pressure, and when the pressure drops below a cetrain level in comparision to that default value it gives an alarm. If you vary your pressure from say 30 to 32, then you should reset it. If you maintain 32 all the time, for example, then I guess you needn't reset it every time.

Quote:
I have RFT and am maintaining 31 for front and 36 for rear. Is that optimum?
I'm guessing since it's a weekend car you haven't done too many km's on it yet. If it's less than 1000-odd, then I would strongly recommend tossing them out in favour of regular tubeless (so long as you get a good value for the RFT's).

This may also mean buying a space saver maybe, but the way I see it, if this is your weekend car and you're going to make weekend trips, then every time you get a RFT puncture you will be forced to drive on it for some distance till you reach civilization and can get it repaired/ By then it will be time to buy a new RFT coz the sidewalls can't be repaired. Etc etc. They are just a PAIN.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:09   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have RFT and am maintaining 31 for front and 36 for rear. Is that optimum?
36 is wayyy too much ! You car must be a nightmare to sit in at the rear with that pressure and RFTs, I pitty your friends/family

I maintain 32 all around on the beamer and superb.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:09   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

@flyingspur --- I dont mind the PMs. I hate to see a fellow enthusiast so confused!

@nirmal --- I dont think that's true. I know a lot of places who do a lot of WA/WBs for BMWs. Ride height, etc doesnt need to be adjusted everytime you do a normal alignment.

That is usually done only if oyu have some specific problem. That is why ALL BMW/Merc service centres have high tech machines which can do wheel alignment as well as measure ride height, etc....

But for a normal alignment, I dont think you need all that. You just need a machine which measures accurately and the correct readings. And of course, a trained mechanic!
Old 30th July 2010, 01:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
36 is wayyy too much ! You car must be a nightmare to sit in at the rear with that pressure and RFTs, I pitty your friends/family.
@ bisabhi : LOL...I got so carried away trying to advice you to switch to tubeless, I totally forgot about pressure. The workshop guys have recommended 30 all around on the RFT's by the way. I know the door sticker says 30-36, but that's simply ridiculous. Higher chances of you damaging an RFT, if anything. Change to 30 immediately.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:48   #45

@ Sahil - Your is a 5 series right? Do all BMWs have the same pressure requirement.
@ Flying Spur - this tyre pressure thing is now turning into my blood pressure problem. Would certainly like to join the next meet. Why do you say that high pressure would lead to damage of RFT?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks