Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 10:03   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
@flyingspur --- I dont mind the PMs. I hate to see a fellow enthusiast so confused!

Get the Conti CPC2. you wont regret it.
Hey Nikhil; I still haven't understood rather confused why do you push for CPC2 so much; they are pretty ordinary tyres. Sorry i am saying it as i have used it myself and you always run on neovas;

how can you say cpc2 are good.

P.S Will never use the those tyres after scarping my alloys under hard braking; so it has to flexing of side walls right!!

Last edited by raj.barcode : 30th July 2010 at 10:05.
Old 30th July 2010, 13:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I am super ecstatic and relieved to post this.

It's no Rolls, but the difference in ride is glaring, it smacks you in the face for not having done this on the day of delivery.
HAHA... totally agree! I know the exact feeling. it's like BMW is depriving you of something when they sell you a car with RFTs!!

Quote:
The steering is now easily 20% lighter at parking speeds (that's still pretty hard).
Yep. I guess you would be able to properly understood my raw comparative terms I mentioned earlier on steering and others!

Quote:
Credits : Sahil (truly distinguished, always helpful), Zeddo & Ackyash (testimonials), and obviously, nikhilb2008 !!
Always welcome!! great to be of help. specially after I've been through all the same kind of hassles.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisabhi View Post
Do all BMWs have the same pressure requirement.
I doubt.

Quote:
@ Flying Spur - this tyre pressure thing is now turning into my blood pressure problem. Would certainly like to join the next meet. Why do you say that high pressure would lead to damage of RFT?
Your ride is MUCH harsher. The workshop guys themselves (mind you, both workshops) have recommended 30 all around. They explicitly tell me to ignore the sticker on the driver's side door.

Secondly, if you crash into a pothole or hit something really sharp, your RFT's already limited capacity to absorb an impact will be compromised even more under higher pressure, and it will either take the entire thing itself and get cracked internally, OR will pass on too much onto the rim which can get damaged / cracked (true stories).

Why would you WANT to maintain higher pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
...they are pretty ordinary tyres.
I don't know about Nikhil, but I realized that this was EXACTLY what I wanted. No low-pro sport tyres, no superhuman grip, no super-silent tyres, no super-soft comfort-oriented tyres; because all these things come with real-world limitations which are faced every day on our roads. I just wanted a set of tyres which can be as reliable and durable as the Turanza's I have on the Corolla.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Just bought a tyre cover and bungee cords for my space saver.

I thought this might be helpful for someone else who has made the switch to tubeless and bought a space saver spare. Making a little effort towards stowing the space saver away properly frees up quite a bit of boot space, things aren't as bad as they are made out to be by the Mercedes & Audi chaps

Link
Old 28th August 2010, 12:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Hey ackyash, post some more of your ride !! That snap makes the car look sweet in silver... the rims go really well with it.
flyingspur your wish is my command. Sorry a little late though.
Attached Thumbnails
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-320d_frnt.jpg  

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-320d_1.jpg  

Old 28th August 2010, 19:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm I haven't seen too many E90 LCI silvers. It was more popular in the pre-LCI. So in a way, your car is unique. And I really like the all-black interiors, it looks very sporty as it should, rather than the pseudo-luxury beige stuff that's become so common now. I splash of CF will totally trick your interiors out
Old 20th June 2012, 20:45   #52

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for 320d - HELP !!

Seriously considering switching to PS3.. I guess this should not affect any warranty.. and how does the switch affect handling (I am extremely happy with RFT for its terrific handling).. Couple of reasons for switching 1. Tramlining 2. My family hates the ride.. They loved my Civic earlier..
Old 21st June 2012, 08:03   #53

Seriously considering switching to PS3..Thanks to all for enlightening me on the switch from RFT to regular.. But some questions..

I guess this should not affect any warranty.. and how does the switch affect handling (I am extremely happy with RFT for its terrific handling)..

BMW does not provide any tire removal kit.. how do you guys handle a puncture?
Old 21st June 2012, 12:03   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
Seriously considering switching to PS3..Thanks to all for enlightening me on the switch from RFT to regular.. But some questions..

I guess this should not affect any warranty.. and how does the switch affect handling (I am extremely happy with RFT for its terrific handling)..

BMW does not provide any tire removal kit.. how do you guys handle a puncture?
The handling will improve since the RFTs grip isn't anything that great. Even the ride will improve a fair amount.

As for the puncture, you will have to go to a tyre shop.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 12:20   #55

Akshay.. Thanks.. My question was about replacing with the spare when the puncture happens.. As we do with every puncture - replace the tyre ourselves and then get it repaired in the puncture shop.. It will not be possible unless we get a puncture tool kit.. Wondering how guys handle that..
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:01   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay.. Thanks.. My question was about replacing with the spare when the puncture happens.. As we do with every puncture - replace the tyre ourselves and then get it repaired in the puncture shop.. It will not be possible unless we get a puncture tool kit.. Wondering how guys handle that..
With tubeless tyres even with a puncture you don't need to replace there and then. When the pressure is low, the tire pressure warning will pop up on the dash, at that time you go to a petrol pump and fill in air in the tyres and then you will also realise which tyre has low air. Once the air is filled up you can get the puncture repaired at your convenience.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 18:31   #57

Changed my RFT to Michelin PS3.. Have driven about 80KMs.. First impressions.. ride has improved significantly - a la Passat - and road noise is zero.. For the first time since I bought this car, I am hearing the engine note clearly.. Too early to say anything about Tramlining.. Cons: ride height has come down and I scrapped on a speed breaker, I normally sail thru'.. and I think the fuel consumption has gone up a bit..
Old 27th June 2012, 20:29   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Changed my RFT to Michelin PS3.. Have driven about 80KMs.. First impressions.. ride has improved significantly - a la Passat - and road noise is zero.. For the first time since I bought this car, I am hearing the engine note clearly.. Too early to say anything about Tramlining.. Cons: ride height has come down and I scrapped on a speed breaker, I normally sail thru'.. and I think the fuel consumption has gone up a bit..
What is the size that you have put now? Why didn't you stick to original size or a proper upsize so that your GC didn't go down.
Old 28th June 2012, 06:22   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What is the size that you have put now? Why didn't you stick to original size or a proper upsize so that your GC didn't go down.
Original was 205/55R16.. As PS3 was not available in that size, went for the available 225/50R16.. Did the math before deciding.. Ride height should come down by just 0.25 mm (205 x 0.55 - 225 * 0.5). But I guess the height reduction is mostly due to the soft side walls compared to the RFTs.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:36   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Original was 205/55R16.. As PS3 was not available in that size, went for the available 225/50R16.. Did the math before deciding.. Ride height should come down by just 0.25 mm (205 x 0.55 - 225 * 0.5). But I guess the height reduction is mostly due to the soft side walls compared to the RFTs.
I think thats a perfect upsize. Might not even be that much of a difference. Like you said its all because of the sidewalls. You find the ride as good as the Passat now? I wonder how much it will improve once I switch the 17s on mine to normal tubeless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks