Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 09:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for 320d - HELP !!

I have a question for all the BM owners who switch from RFT's to regular tyres. Do you carry a spare with you, and if so, is it a regular tyre or the biscuit spares. If not do you have a puncture repair kit and a pump.

The reason for this question is what happens if you have a flat. At least with RFT's you can run a few km and then get the tyre fixed.
Old 5th March 2013, 09:50   #77

Yup. We do keep a spare tyre. Its a biscuit tyre. Available at all bmw dealerships and is called a 'space saver kit'
Old 5th March 2013, 11:20   #78
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm yet to see warranty on any tyre like Michelin or Yoko get honored. At most they will give you a goodwill discount on a new tyre.
Saw this now:

Got my Laura Yoko S- Drive replaced under warranty for side buldge when they were about 2000 kms old. They wanted me to pay for usage but I refused maintaining that I would still need to replace all 4 tyres at the same time next time round and will not use one for an addtional 2000 kms. They then tried to get me to pay the tax and I again stayed firm and refused and got them to replace for free. Gave a bit of "dum" about posting the experience on TBHP - Which if I recollect I anyways did.

Also had Yoko NOT honouring a bust ES501 for the Laura (Where the steel belts starting showing - excuse multiple repaired punctures (repaired with the normal plugs from outside rather than mushrooms from inside). They in this case offerd a goodwill discount as you mention.
Old 5th March 2013, 13:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I have a question for all the BM owners who switch from RFT's to regular tyres. Do you carry a spare with you, and if so, is it a regular tyre or the biscuit spares. If not do you have a puncture repair kit and a pump.

The reason for this question is what happens if you have a flat. At least with RFT's you can run a few km and then get the tyre fixed.
Yes, a spare tyre which is called space saver kit which costs around 33k and comes with the tyre changing kit.
Old 26th March 2013, 20:30   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post

Yes, a spare tyre which is called space saver kit which costs around 33k and comes with the tyre changing kit.
The price for the spare tyre kit is slashed and it costs only Rs 29,997/- for the full package which includes tire, jack, spanner and a pair of gloves for your hands. Only tire costs around Rs 18000/-.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th March 2013 at 20:48. Reason: typo corrected. please do a spell check before submitting your posts.
Old 5th April 2013, 16:24   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I recently switched from RFT's to Tubeless, i do not have a spare tire but i do have a Air compressor & a puncture repair kit with me.

You can see the full report here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3053943

Last edited by karan561 : 5th April 2013 at 16:40.
Old 10th October 2013, 15:11   #82

Quote:

I don't. I have injected a puncture sealant called 'Tyre Protect' . It is supposed to seal the puncture immediately after the nail is removed. It won't help if the side wall is cut. Initially there was a wobble - for the first 100 Kim's around 80 - 90 km/ hr speed, but now it is fine. I do not know how good it is as I have not had a puncture (or noticed one ).. But I have a peaceful mind. Have driven about 5k Kim's since then.
Old 12th October 2013, 10:00   #83
BHPian

No space save tyre, need to buy one perhaps. Just an air compressor and puncture kit
Old 21st November 2013, 10:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
The price for the spare tyre kit is slashed and it costs only Rs 29,997/- for the full package which includes tire, jack, spanner and a pair of gloves for your hands. Only tire costs around Rs 18000/-.
Well, This is just a thought but has any one tried the Xylo steel rim ? It has the same PCD of 120 and almost the same offset (34 for BMW and 37-40 for Xylo). (What is to be seen is the center bore which i have no idea of)

With a matching tyre, looks like there is not much of a difference and this would probably save you a ton of money and would give you a much better option than the skinny motorcycle tyre on a BMW.

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-tyre.jpg

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 14th December 2013, 16:36   #85
BHPian

Ok,
I just got this checked. Thought the pcd is the same, the 15" xylo steel rim wouldn't fit the BMW because the brake system would come in the way. a 16" would be an exact fit but unfortunately xylo steel rim doesn't come in 16".

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:21   #86
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless Tyres for BMW 320D, Which brand to buy?

I have been running on my stock Run Flats on BMW 320D, it has done 30K and would soon need replacement. I have decided to move to normal tubeless tyres aided with a puncture kit and air pump for economy (primary reason) and riding comfort (secondary reason). I was searching online and saw a wide array of brands available from around 6k to 11 k (and Pirelli RFT at around 13 k) http://www.tyreonwheels.com/car/tyre...m/10/Bangalore

I would like suggestions from BHPians on what brand to go with, one key requirement will be a make that does not develop punctures easily. I used to have Michelin for my Elantra and was very happy with the performance and road sound, but see them as expensive as Pirelli (if you add the cost of the pump may be), in that case my reason of moving to tubeless for economy will be beaten.

My other query is on the online tyre stores, please let me know if they offer competitive rates compared to shops and how reliable are they for delivery and support.

Last edited by gadadhar : 22nd April 2014 at 14:24.
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:06   #87
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tubeless Tyres for BMW 320D, Which brand to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
My other query is on the online tyre stores, please let me know if they offer competitive rates compared to shops and how reliable are they for delivery and support.
Would recommend the Yoko Advan Sports, they are pricey at 11k but excellent tyres. They are grippy, comfortable, silent enough, and on the whole good. Otherwise if you want a more comfort oriented tyre the Michelin P3ST will be good.

Why order online when you can go to bhpian Nikhilb's shop in Bangalore?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:47   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would recommend the Yoko Advan Sports, they are pricey at 11k but excellent tyres. They are grippy, comfortable, silent enough, and on the whole good. Otherwise if you want a more comfort oriented tyre the Michelin P3ST will be good.

Why order online when you can go to bhpian Nikhilb's shop in Bangalore?
Thanks akshay, I am regular at Nikhilb's place for wheel allignment, will go there during the weekend to check on the availability and prices. Any comments on Pirelli RFT coming at around 13K.

Last edited by gadadhar : 22nd April 2014 at 21:56.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:54   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks akshay, I am regular at Nikhilb's place for wheel allignment, will go there during the weekend to check on the availability and prices. Any comments on Pirelli RFT coming at around 13K.
Well if you are fine with the ride quality on RFTs then you can continue with them. But if you want a much plusher ride then its gotta be normal tubeless. The Pirelli P7s are kind of an all round tyre and the price is decent considering they are RFTs, what tyres does you car have currently?
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well if you are fine with the ride quality on RFTs then you can continue with them. But if you want a much plusher ride then its gotta be normal tubeless. The Pirelli P7s are kind of an all round tyre and the price is decent considering they are RFTs, what tyres does you car have currently?
It is Bridgestone Turranza er 300..

Most Viewed