Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2014, 17:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Any reviews on Yokohama - AR01, I am considering between Michelin and Yokohama. I had called up Madhus to check on prices, with 15% cashback on snapdeal, prices are appearing 4 to 5 K cheaper on a set of 4 on Michelin. Bit confused whether to go with our trusted BHPian shop or go online..

Last edited by gadadhar : 25th April 2014 at 17:14.
Old 26th April 2014, 00:10   #92
BHPian

Hi,

Recently was going through the ECOPIA series launched by Bridgestone on their website and came across the unauthorized sales policy by them. I called up a few customer cares of other brands like Michelin, Yokohama, JKTyres they said the same thing that if you purchase from these sites you won't be provided warranty of the products. As I had earlier purchased from TyreOnWheels and was really conscious of my warranty being voided but they said those tyres are covered under warranty.

One of my friends placed an order on Snapdeal and he paid online and the tyres were received by him only after 40 days. So please be aware before making your purchase. I'd recommend Tyreonwheels to you as i have used their service in Delhi and was really happy with the service provided or you can also go to Nikhil @ Madhus for the tyres.

You can check the Bridgestone Unauthroized Policy in the link metioned below:
http://www.bridgestone.co.in/Unautho...lesPolicy.aspx

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Any reviews on Yokohama - AR01, I am considering between Michelin and Yokohama. I had called up Madhus to check on prices, with 15% cashback on snapdeal, prices are appearing 4 to 5 K cheaper on a set of 4 on Michelin. Bit confused whether to go with our trusted BHPian shop or go online..

Last edited by purge : 26th April 2014 at 00:12. Reason: Spelling Mistake
purge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 00:41   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Avoid the AR01s they are hard and noisy, and budget tyres not meant for a BMW. Which Michelins have you been offered? Go to Nikhils shop, I'm sure you will get more options there.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 18:25   #94
Senior - BHPian

Purchased Michelin Primacy 3 ST from Nikhil.. WOW was my feel after hitting the road... Would suggest all RFT folks to give it a try..

Last edited by gadadhar : 3rd May 2014 at 18:45.
Old 30th July 2014, 22:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Purchased Michelin Primacy 3 ST from Nikhil.. WOW was my feel after hitting the road... Would suggest all RFT folks to give it a try..
hi,

My car is due for a tyre change and am confused. the RFTs are quite harsh so seriously considering tubeless.

visited the tyre shop today. the choices available were
1. michelin 3st
2. conti sport contact
3. falken ziex 912
4. apollo 4g aspire

I am mainly looking for ride comfort over performance and would greatly go for a tyre more suited to our pot hole strewn roads.

i am being quoted 13500 for the 3 st, 13000 for the falken, 9800 for the apollo.

kindly indicate if the prices are ok. am sligtly inclined towards the 3st.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:11   #96
BHPian

RFTs are harsh on ride comfort, agreed. Have seen some change to tubeless because of the same reason. I also had this thought earlier like is tubeless really better than RFT especially when you have to pay less for tubeless tyres and still get better ride comfort.

Once when I was driving around in my home town, due to a sharp iron rod protruding out of some structure on the road side, both the tyres on one side got torn. Being close to my house and within my home town I got help without driving much and got them replaced. This is when I realized, what if this happened in some deserted place on one of my Hyderabad or Chennai rides!! If you have tubeless, you are just stranded. But if you have RFTs, you can still move on and find help. You wont be stranded even if both the wheels are busted or even all 4 for that matter. Ever since that incident, I decided I am never going to change RFTs. I don't mind sacrificing a bit on the comfort for the sake of safety and convenience. Especially these days when high way robbery and crimes are ever increasing.

Heard that RFTs have a problem of bursting. I think this can be tackled to an extent with careful driving. I have never faced this issue. My tyres were just torn by a sharp rusty metal rod, not busted otherwise.
Old 31st July 2014, 13:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
hi,

My car is due for a tyre change and am confused. the RFTs are quite harsh so seriously considering tubeless.

visited the tyre shop today. the choices available were
1. michelin 3st
2. conti sport contact
3. falken ziex 912
4. apollo 4g aspire

I am mainly looking for ride comfort over performance and would greatly go for a tyre more suited to our pot hole strewn roads.

i am being quoted 13500 for the 3 st, 13000 for the falken, 9800 for the apollo.

kindly indicate if the prices are ok. am sligtly inclined towards the 3st.
I got set of four 3sts for Rs 41,200 including allignment and balancing, I am not sure if the prices are higher in TN.
Old 8th April 2015, 17:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys...friend wants to change the tyres on his 320d CE. What are the best options currently?

Also are there any sidewall upsize options (just one size up...say 225/60/16???)? he wouldn't mind a little more GC if that doesn't compromise anything else.

Also did any of the variants come with a 205/55/16? His car (2011 CE) currently seems to have RFTs of that size.
Old 8th April 2015, 19:39   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hey guys...friend wants to change the tyres on his 320d CE. What are the best options currently?

Also are there any sidewall upsize options (just one size up...say 225/60/16???)? he wouldn't mind a little more GC if that doesn't compromise anything else.

Also did any of the variants come with a 205/55/16? His car (2011 CE) currently seems to have RFTs of that size.
CEs came with 205/55 R16. Upsizing the profile on a Bimmer is sacrilege. The 3 doesn't really scrape anywhere, since the suspension is quite stiff and the wheelbase isn't too long. He should look at 225/50 R16, he may get Michelin PS3s or Yoko Advan Sports in that size.

If he upsizes the profile he will lose out on handling and have a fair bit more body roll, which will take away from the fun and chuckable nature of the car.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 20:22   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
CEs came with 205/55 R16. Upsizing the profile on a Bimmer is sacrilege. The 3 doesn't really scrape anywhere, since the suspension is quite stiff and the wheelbase isn't too long.
I beg to differ. Mine scarps away at almost anything and everything if taken even at the slightest of speeds. The only option is to literally come to a standstill and with zero acceleration input, allowing the car to move forward on it own on D.
Old 8th April 2015, 20:25   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I beg to differ. Mine scarps away at almost anything and everything if taken even at the slightest of speeds. The only option is to literally come to a standstill and with zero acceleration input, allowing the car to move forward on it own on D.
Definitely, I always come to almost a standstill for any speedbreakers. Otherwise it will scrape since the car is low, no doubt. But if driven with care, it does not scrape. My E90 has never scraped anything besides its front splitter a tiny bit because I went too quickly onto a speedbreaker.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 11:26   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He should look at 225/50 R16, he may get Michelin PS3s or Yoko Advan Sports in that size.

If he upsizes the profile he will lose out on handling and have a fair bit more body roll, which will take away from the fun and chuckable nature of the car.

So he doesn't do a lot of high speed runs(>150), hence a slight (only slight) compromise on the handling could be considered. (225/60/16?? Still no??) Also since he crunches a lot of miles during his daily city drive a slightly long lasting option would work better for him.

May last experience with Yokos was bad and Michelins i believe dont last long (pls correct me if i am wrong with either). If thats right then whats the next best option considering his requirement?
Old 9th April 2015, 11:32   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So he doesn't do a lot of high speed runs(>150), hence a slight (only slight) compromise on the handling could be considered. (225/60/16?? Still no??) Also since he crunches a lot of miles during his daily city drive a slightly long lasting option would work better for him.

May last experience with Yokos was bad and Michelins i believe dont last long (pls correct me if i am wrong with either). If thats right then whats the next best option considering his requirement?
If he is insistent on making the diameter of the tyre slightly larger, I would say 215/55 R16 is fine, 225/60 is too much of a difference. In 215/55 if he wants a long lasting tyre then Pirelli P1 is available, it will last long.
Old 9th April 2015, 11:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If he is insistent on making the diameter of the tyre slightly larger, I would say 215/55 R16 is fine, 225/60 is too much of a difference. In 215/55 if he wants a long lasting tyre then Pirelli P1 is available, it will last long.
Oops sorry my bad...intended to say 225/55/16. Any options in that size?

BTW his stock size is 205/55/16...even the 215/55/16 P1 you suggested should be a good option if nothing else.
Old 9th April 2015, 11:43   #105
BHPian

Quote:

My friend just swapped his RFT's for Pirelli P7 - 205's. The car rides well and your friend should consider them.
milin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks