Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 12:00   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Oops sorry my bad...intended to say 225/55/16. Any options in that size?

BTW his stock size is 205/55/16...even the 215/55/16 P1 you suggested should be a good option if nothing else.
225/55 will also be pushing it. Since it seems he doesn't push the car much, better to stick to stock size or if he wants slightly larger then 215/55.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 10:40   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
225/55 will also be pushing it. Since it seems he doesn't push the car much, better to stick to stock size or if he wants slightly larger then 215/55.
Done! Let me ask him to check what brands offer 215/55...Thanks!
Old 27th March 2016, 22:35   #108
fry

Hi!
Any updates on Run Flat Tech?

I am planning on using the CPC 5 with SSR for my new and not yet delivered - 1.0 Ecosport.
http://www.continental-tires.com/car...remiumcontact5

I would have preferred the CPC 5 with XL & ContiSeal Tech but unfortunately, I only have a choice between SSR or no SSR on the 205/60 r16.

Does any have a clue on SSR tech? I do drive hard and will do some soft offroading as well!
Will it be prone to "bubbling"?
Will it screw my ride up a fair bit?

Thanks a TON!
Old 5th May 2016, 11:23   #109
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know how good/bad Falken's Azenis series is? The Falken Azenis PT722 in particular for the BMW?
Old 9th May 2016, 13:44   #110
BHPian

I am currently on these on my 3. I moved from bridgestone RFT to these directly as i got them very cheap on some promotional discount. I have no idea how silent or better the others are. These are way better than the previous wornout RFT. The life is excellent. From Dec 2014, i have done some 30k odd kms and they are good to go for another 30K. I think they are a bit noisy owing to their harder compound. I was initially skeptical, but now i am happy.

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-tyres_1-large.jpg
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-tyres_2.jpg
RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d-tyres_3.jpg

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 12th September 2016, 08:29   #111
BHPian

Guys...I have a small problem. I recently purchased a preowned 320d which came with Michelin mxv in the front & primacy lc at rear all of size 205/55/16. The ride & grip good. Now the driver side mxv has had 3 punctures. Now I guess the Mxv is no longer available.

Option A.Would it be ok if I replaced just that one tyre with the Primacy 3ST or the CPC2
Option B Replace all tyres. In that case should I go for 225/50 rear & stick to 205/55 front.
Option C One of the rear LC has a side cut. So can I put in 2 new 225/50 at the rear & keep one old Mxv on the LHS front & one old Primacy Lc on RHS front.

I prefer option C. Pl help. Sorry if i've hijacked this thread, but i am in a bit of a hurry as my sweet car is up on the jack at home & im just itching to DRIVE

Last edited by rxpaul : 12th September 2016 at 08:57.
Old 12th September 2016, 11:16   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Guys...I have a small problem. I recently purchased a preowned 320d which came with Michelin mxv in the front & primacy lc at rear all of size 205/55/16. The ride & grip good. Now the driver side mxv has had 3 punctures. Now I guess the Mxv is no longer available.

Option A.Would it be ok if I replaced just that one tyre with the Primacy 3ST or the CPC2
Option B Replace all tyres. In that case should I go for 225/50 rear & stick to 205/55 front.
Option C One of the rear LC has a side cut. So can I put in 2 new 225/50 at the rear & keep one old Mxv on the LHS front & one old Primacy Lc on RHS front.

I prefer option C. Pl help. Sorry if i've hijacked this thread, but i am in a bit of a hurry as my sweet car is up on the jack at home & im just itching to DRIVE
If you do A or C you will be messing up the driving dynamics of the 3. It could also lead to unpredictable behaviour in terms of handling.

I would suggest you change all the tyres, whether you put 205/55 all around, or 225/50 all around, or 225/50 in the rear and 205/55 in the front.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:00   #113
BHPian

Hi Akshay,
I changed the front tyres to the Primacy 3ST in size 205/55 and have left the rears just as they were on the old Primacy LCs. There's been no notable change in grip or handling. Plan to rough it out for a few more weeks before changing the rear tyres. One issue is that the car when loaded tends to ground out on taller speed breakers & I need to go in sideways which is not often possible. Should I opt for taller 215/55 and also performance tyres for the rears ? Will going taller only in the rear affect dynamics ??
Old 19th September 2016, 22:26   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Hi Akshay,
I changed the front tyres to the Primacy 3ST in size 205/55 and have left the rears just as they were on the old Primacy LCs. There's been no notable change in grip or handling. Plan to rough it out for a few more weeks before changing the rear tyres. One issue is that the car when loaded tends to ground out on taller speed breakers & I need to go in sideways which is not often possible. Should I opt for taller 215/55 and also performance tyres for the rears ? Will going taller only in the rear affect dynamics ??
You said the rears have a sidewall cut, best to change ASAP in that case. Yes the 3 is low, and will scrape some breakers when fully loaded. Best option is to go sideways over the bumps.

Please don't go for taller sidewalls at least in this car. I am assuming you have bought it for driving pleasure, and a change like that will increase body roll when cornering.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 20:21   #115
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm in the same dilemma regarding the tyre change on my F30 320D.

Tyre - Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT
Size - 225/50 R17 94W
Kms - 32,000
Tread left - 4 mm

I guess it should be good to for another 5-7 K kms. However, since the last 2,000 Kms they have become quite noisy and prone to traction loss (TCS stepping in very frequently during turns at moderate speed or quick acceleration on dusty Gurgaon roads) and would want to change them as soon as possible.

My experience with these tyres:
- Nothing extra ordinary - jack of all trades in grip, comfort, road noise, tyre life.
- 2 punctures so far, in comparison to 6-8 on Primacy 3ST (on my other car) under similar driving conditions.
- No sidewall / rim damage. 3 inevitable incidents of driving into relatively large potholes, in comparison to 2 side wall bulges in Primacy 3ST.
- Tramlines like hell

For now I'm only considering stock size i.e. 225/50 R17 and considering the limited availability of tyres in that size, I could find following options:

1. Conti Sport Contact 5: Regular or RFT
2. Yoko V103: Regular or RFT
3. Michelin Primacy 3ST
4. or continue with another set of Potenza S001 RFT

Based on the reviews and info on various threads, I've ruled out Pirellis and Goodyears, unless you guys suggest otherwise.

Should I make a switch from RFT to tubeless. If I do, does Extra Load (XL) / Reinforced (RF) rated tyres make a difference. If not, then which RFTs.

I frequently do long distance trips and due to luggage can't have a spare tyre. I keep a air inflator and tubeless puncture repair kit with me all the times. If I do switch to tubeless, maybe keeping a tube could be a good solution in case of a side wall cut. Head says that for long distance cruising, low road noise and ride comfort is paramount. However, sacrificing performance on a BMW doesn't make my heart agree.

I absolutely hate tyre noise and that is one thing I love about Primacy. They are so damn silent. However, I'm still not convinced about putting them on a 320. Has anyone tried them on a BMW and how does it compare to S001. How would a performance tyre like Pilot Sport 3 (or Super Sport) compare w.r.t to road noise, although I guess it isn't available in stock size.

Personally, I've had not so great experience with Yokos having used 2 sets AVS Decibels, one of which worked great albeit very high road noms towards the last 7-8 K of its life and ended up changing other set only after 25 K after 2 blown out tyres and 2 bulges.

On the other hand, I love Michelins, have used the original Precedas, Primacy HP, Energy XM, Primacy 3 at one point or the other and have had good experiences. I haven't tried out any contis yet.

Can't be more confused What are my options. Help!

Thanks,
Naman
naman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 12:44   #116
BHPian

Naman,

What was your final decision. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2016, 16:42   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm in the same dilemma regarding the tyre change on my F30 320D.

Tyre - Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT
Size - 225/50 R17 94W
Kms - 32,000
Tread left - 4 mm

My experience with these tyres:
- Nothing extra ordinary - jack of all trades in grip, comfort, road noise, tyre life.
- 2 punctures so far, in comparison to 6-8 on Primacy 3ST (on my other car) under similar driving conditions.
- No sidewall / rim damage. 3 inevitable incidents of driving into relatively large potholes, in comparison to 2 side wall bulges in Primacy 3ST.
- Tramlines like hell

Can't be more confused What are my options. Help!

Thanks,
Naman
Have the same set of tires on my car for 39k kms and the tread left is around 5 mm.

Other than the road noise, I am completely happy Potenza S001 RFT. Have had couple of punctures but that's it. No sidewall cuts, no bulges or loss grip even after 39k kms. The tires have seen the worst of roads in and around Pune and sometimes even no roads like when I visit my farm.

They even had a couple of nasty hits on potholes on the way to Goa but no damage at all.

As it is time to replace them I am searching for a good deal and a dealer who stocks them. Haven't yet asked BMW but I am guessing that would be in general expensive.

By the way, have you already replaced yours? Which one you opted for?
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 16:50   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Haven't yet asked BMW but I am guessing that would be in general expensive.
You would be surprised. Leaving aside the grey market, BMWs tyres are now surprisingly well priced in most cases.
Old 14th December 2016, 17:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
You would be surprised. Leaving aside the grey market, BMWs tyres are now surprisingly well priced in most cases.
Thanks, Akshay1234.

You are right about the prices. Just checked with BMW and they are quoting 21k per tire for Bridgestone Potenza same size. Cheaper than a local tire dealer and he didn't even have them in stock.

What hurts is the wheel alignment and fitting cost of 5k on top of that. However, can buy the tires from them and get them fitted outside.
Old 14th December 2016, 17:19   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Thanks, Akshay1234.

You are right about the prices. Just checked with BMW and they are quoting 21k per tire for Bridgestone Potenza same size. Cheaper than a local tire dealer and he didn't even have them in stock.

What hurts is the wheel alignment and fitting cost of 5k on top of that. However, can buy the tires from them and get them fitted outside.
Changing runflats requires a special machine, otherwise the rim ends up getting scratched when people try to remove the runflats which are far stiffer than regular tyres. If your tyre shop is large and has a runflat changing machine, do it there, otherwise after paying 84k what is another 5k But yes during regular alignment and balancing I would never pay that much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks