Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2019, 08:34   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by myM5 View Post
Hi Anand, thank you for the feedback.. the tyres are 11,385/- as compared to the 20k from BMW.
Wow! Great price! This gives me a hope that there will be a way to maintain a BMW sensibly. These are RFTs?
Old 31st January 2019, 08:36   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow! Great price! This gives me a hope that there will be a way to maintain a BMW sensibly. These are RFTs?
Yes they are RFT's. As per the tech sheet.
myM5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:08   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they are RFT's. As per the tech sheet.
Interesting. Can you send pics and the URL? And how many km did your original tyres last?
Old 1st February 2019, 14:09   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Interesting. Can you send pics and the URL? And how many km did your original tyres last?
Hi Anand

So I have done 36000 kms on the tyres. Two have worn out, two are fine. Trying to figure why that's the case. Will upload images soon.

Website Link for the tyres below:

http://bookmybridgestonetyre.com/Sel...=NTA=&dia=MTc=

Thanks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st February 2019 at 14:19. Reason: Please do not type... Like... This... Thank you.
myM5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 16:10   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anand

So I have done 36000 kms on the tyres. Two have worn out, two are fine. Trying to figure why that's the case. Will upload images soon.

Website Link for the tyres below:

http://bookmybridgestonetyre.com/Sel...=NTA=&dia=MTc=

Thanks
Wow, that's a very decent mileage you got out of the stock RFTs
BTW, sadly this website does not list the 330i sizes:
225/45R18
255/40R18

Hopefully those show up in a couple of years before I need the replacement!
Old 1st February 2019, 17:02   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanmeets View Post
Hi Members,

I have year old BMW 320d (11000Kms done) with current setup of Goodyear 225/45/R18 91Y. I am facing huge issues with tyre bulge and have already got 4 tyres replaced. I am in gurgaon and road conditions are terrible.

Now from whatever study I have done, the issue boils down to side profile of the tires. What should I do, try and downsize to 17inch alloys and RFTs with better side profile or change to tubeless with existing profile? I am ok with ride quality, just don't want these bulges and tire damage needing replacement.
What did you finally end up doing? While reading your post I was thinking when did I write this message! I've had the same problem, ended up asking BMW to downsize to 17" rims. BMW paid so it wasn't that bad of a deal.
Old 2nd February 2019, 13:35   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantc93 View Post
What did you finally end up doing? While reading your post I was thinking when did I write this message! I've had the same problem, ended up asking BMW to downsize to 17" rims. BMW paid so it wasn't that bad of a deal.
Ended up downgrading to 17 inch silver alloys finally, though had to shell out additional 50k for replacement of alloys and tyres. But finally the problem is solved and the ride quality is back to normal.

My advice for everybody, please do not spend additional money to upgrade to 18 inch alloys on our roads. Complete waste of money.
rohanmeets is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:46   #158
Team-BHP Support

The tires in my 330i GT are coming up for replacement in another 5K kilometers.

A little background:
The car has a staggered setup with 18"/8J wheels in front and 18"/9J wheels in the rear. It has 225/50/R18 in the front and 255/45/R18 in the rear. They are ContiSportContact 5 RFTs. The rear tires were worn out in just under 20K kilometers. I had replaced them with the same spec RFTs. Now the odo is at 35000 kilometers and both front and rear have about 5000 kilometers left. The front tires last twice as the rear tires.

The RFTs have two problems. They cost a bomb (cost me 60K to replace two rear tires), and they do not last long (at least the rear tires). Also, I have three bent wheels. But I think this is more from the low profile tires than the RFTs.

The problem:
Many BMW owners have recommended to change to tubeless. So, I am thinking of trying tubeless this time. I have a few questions.

1. In a previous post, drmohitg had mentioned the ride and handling had totally changed when he changed to tubeless. Akshay1234 had pointed out this could be because of P3STs which are primarily comfort tires and the 16" wheels. Given that the wheels in the GT are 18", and if I go for performance oriented tires like Conti CSC5 or Michelin Pilot Sport 3ST, would there be any lack in performance?
2. The Conti CSC5 RFTs that I have at present are sporty and decently comfortable at the same time. Which tubeless tires offer a balance of performance, comfort and road noise?
3. If I were to go for a square setup with 245/45/18, this size is available in Michelin Pilot Sport 3ST, Conti CSC5 and Pirelli P Zero. But I would like to retain the same staggered setup (225 in front, and 255 in rear). But I am not able to find the 225 sections tires offered by any manufacturer. 255/45/18 is available in CSC5 non RFT. 225/50/18 is only available in RFT version. Would it make sense to retain the 225/50/18 CSC5 RFTs for the front and go 255/45/18 tubeless CSC5 in the rear? Am I missing any tire that has 225/50/R18 tubeless performance oriented tires?

Please share your inputs on this. Thanks in advance for all pointers.
Old 18th February 2020, 23:06   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

A little background:
They are ContiSportContact 5 RFTs. The rear tires were worn out in just under 20K kilometers. I had replaced them with the same spec RFTs. Now the odo is at 35000 kilometers and both front and rear have about 5000 kilometers left. The front tires last twice as the rear tires.

The RFTs have two problems. They cost a bomb (cost me 60K to replace two rear tires), and they do not last long (at least the rear tires). Also, I have three bent wheels. But I think this is more from the low profile tires than the RFTs.
I completely agree with how bad the Conti Sport Contact RFT's are since I've had them on my F10 too. I've gone through 6 tires in 40,000 km and 2 more would be due in the next 5,000 km. The ride quality is also harsh and one can feel literally each and every pothole inside the car. I'll either downsize to 17-inch rims with 225/55/17 rubber or switch to a setup similar on the new 330i G20 with 225/50/18's (rear) and 225/45/18's (front). The 330i has Michelin PS4 run-flats which is what I'll also be looking for. The only downside is that these are only available at BMW and not even to authorized Michelin dealers.

Quote:
Which tubeless tires offer a balance of performance, comfort and road noise?
My bet would be the Michelin PS4's but you'll have to go for the RFT's in that case if you wish to retain the size. Test drive the 330i once and you'll have a good idea about how they fair up

Last edited by advaydh : 18th February 2020 at 23:13. Reason: typo
advaydh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 23:06   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[/u][/b]
The car has a staggered setup with 18"/8J wheels in front and 18"/9J wheels in the rear. It has 225/50/R18 in the front and 255/45/R18 in the rear. They are ContiSportContact 5 Rn this. Thanks in advance for all pointers.
A question/point for you to consider. At least with RFT's, you have the option of driving 100 or so km at 80kmph in order to find a puncture repair outlet. With new tyres, you will need to carry a puncture repair kit or a spare tyre. Of course, with differently sized tyres, would one spare manage the job. If this is something you can manage, then consider changing away from RFT's.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 00:50   #161
BHPian

Quote:
The car has a staggered setup with 18"/8J wheels in front and 18"/9J wheels in the rear. It has 225/50/R18 in the front and 255/45/R18 in the rear.
Please watch this video for the actual difference between a square and a staggered setup on a 3 series.

I would suggest going with a square setup as you will get better braking, and a more tail happy nature out of your car!

BTW Continental seems to have RFTs in 245/45 size on Amazon (CONTINENTAL 245/45R18 96Y CSC3 SSR RFT) for ~20k, in addition to the regular tubeless version in that size. You may want to check those out in case they suit you, as they seem to be much cheaper than what the 255/45 ones cost you before.
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 12:34   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given that the wheels in the GT are 18", and if I go for performance oriented tires like Conti CSC5 or Michelin Pilot Sport 3ST, would there be any lack in performance?
Not at all. If you pick a blue-chip tubeless, it will be right up there from a performance standpoint. I have Pirelli P-zero's on the car, and they're super, but a touch too soft IMO. When the time comes, I'll go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. All the upsides of the Pirellis (good wear, great performance and grip, reasonably silent) and none of the downsides (softness, one of my tires on the 3 developed a bulge). And before you say it's solely because of the low profile tyres, it happened to me twice (I think) on the Jetta's 16 inchers too.

Quote:
2. The Conti CSC5 RFTs that I have at present are sporty and decently comfortable at the same time. Which tubeless tires offer a balance of performance, comfort and road noise?
Michelin, Michelin, Michelin. Pirelli is great too, but they're softies.

Quote:
3. If I were to go for a square setup with 245/45/18, this size is available in Michelin Pilot Sport 3ST, Conti CSC5 and Pirelli P Zero.
My advice, go square. It's cheaper, more sensible, and the tubeless tyres don't seem to have the crazy wear rates you're talking about on the RFTs.

For perspective, a set of 4 Michelin PS4s will cost you INR 82K here, give or take. A set of P Zeros will cost you about 70k.

You talked elsewhere of how tubeless guys manage on long drives. I for one carry a space saver along, and it's saved my sorry bottom once or twice. Costs 17k or so from BMW, but well worth it for the peace of mind it offers.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:33   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RFT for the front and tubeless for the rear is a no no. I am sure it'll mess up the balance.

Option 1 : In 225/50/18 Falken seems to have some W rated tyre. If you are keen on stock set up sizewise , you can go for these for the front and the Conti tubeless at the back. Due to RWD, your rear tyres will wear out first. The Falkens are cheap, so maybe you can replace them in tandem with the rears to ensure good grip. Disclaimer : Never used Falken and never mixed two brands of tyres on a single car. Do your research and talk to experts.

Option 2 : 245/45/18 all round. Michelin has Pilot Sport 3. Beautiful tyres . A few websites are suggesting Yokohama Advan V105 as available in this size. This is also an excellent perfromance tyre. This is the one I have in my X3 and Nikhil has on his VRS. This is top class as well.

If it was me, I'd go for the second option.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:17   #164
Team-BHP Support

Thank you all for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaydh View Post
The only downside is that these are only available at BMW and not even to authorized Michelin dealers.

My bet would be the Michelin PS4's but you'll have to go for the RFT's in that case if you wish to retain the size. Test drive the 330i once and you'll have a good idea about how they fair up
If I went with BMW dealer, the tires would be exorbitantly priced including the fiting, alignment and balancing charges. Also, I want to try tubeless this time. So, will have to drop the PS4 RFTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Of course, with differently sized tyres, would one spare manage the job. If this is something you can manage, then consider changing away from RFT's.
The spare is just a space saver which will be common for all tires. I have thought about this a lot and have prepared myself to carrying a puncture repair kit and also if needed change to the space saver if the need arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
BTW Continental seems to have RFTs in 245/45 size on Amazon (CONTINENTAL 245/45R18 96Y CSC3 SSR RFT) for ~20k, in addition to the regular tubeless version in that size. You may want to check those out in case they suit you, as they seem to be much cheaper than what the 255/45 ones cost you before.
But those are CSC3. The latest is CSC5 which has lot of improvements over CSC3. Also, CSC3 may have a very old manufacturing date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I would suggest going with a square setup as you will get better braking, and a more tail happy nature out of your car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
My advice, go square. It's cheaper, more sensible, and the tubeless tyres don't seem to have the crazy wear rates you're talking about on the RFTs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
If it was me, I'd go for the second option.
I have decided to go with 245/45/R18 squared setup. Thanks a lot guys for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
...I'll go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. All the upsides of the Pirellis (good wear, great performance and grip, reasonably silent) and none of the downsides (softness, one of my tires on the 3 developed a bulge). And before you say it's solely because of the low profile tyres, it happened to me twice (I think) on the Jetta's 16 inchers too.

Michelin, Michelin, Michelin. Pirelli is great too, but they're softies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Michelin has Pilot Sport 3. Beautiful tyres .
There are no options available in Pilot Sport 4 for 245/45/18.

Michelin website lists 245/45/R18 as an option in Pilot Sport 3 ST. However, when I talked to my dealer he is very sure that PS3's are not available anymore as they have been replaced by PS4. Only option in Michelin is P3STs. But these are comfort oriented tires (wonderful tires I had used in my Jetta).

Per the dealer, the only options I have for sporty tires are Conti CSC5 tubeless and Pirelli P Zero. As Karan has mentioned about Pirellis being too soft, I am leaning towards Conti CSC5s.

I have heard about Advan Sports being very sporty tires but with terrible road noise. Santosh, what is your experience with road noise?

So, I have almost decided to go with 245/45/18 squared setup with Conti CSC5. In case Piolot Sport 3 are available by chance, I will go for them.

Last edited by graaja : 19th February 2020 at 20:44.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 22:24   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are no options available in Pilot Sport 4 for 245/45/18.
A couple of months back, when I was replacing my car tyre after it developed a bubble, I was offered PS4s for about 21.5k a pop. A friend of mine even picked up an entire set of them for his F30, I'll check tomorrow if it's still available or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks