Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 13:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d

Dear tyre gurus,

The 320d is being delivered tomorrow morning. I'm keen to switch the tyres from regular runflat tyres to regular tubeless tyres ASAP, for the ride quality. What I'm getting with the car is Bridgestone Turanza ER300 runflat tyres, which I THINK are 225/50 R16.

I have spoken to a tyre dealer who, on the phone, has estimated and indicated that he will make the switch at cost for Michelin tyres.

Now I need you wonderful folks to help me out with the following two points :

1. Which brand and what model of tyres should i pick for the car? I want comfort oriented tyres, but they should not have too soft a sidewall which is prone to defects. Also, grip in dry and wet conditions has to be decently good, they should not be short on grip. Please indicate rough cost that i would have to incur for the same.

2. What can I expect for 4 showroom-fresh runflat tyres? Because RFTs apparently cost almost 20k per tyre, and the tubeless ones will be much lesser, I'm hoping that I can get five tubeless for the four runflats. Then I'll buy a space saver spare from BMW and feel safe for the car to be taken anywhere and everywhere.

Have to decide in 12 hrs. Come on team, to my rescue !!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th March 2010 at 13:50.
Old 6th March 2010, 14:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

They are 225/50 R16.

Highly doubt if they are ER300. Usually, they come with Potenza RE 050. Please check.

Go for the Conti CPC2. Nothing else will be good enough. Michelin Primacy LC is too soft. If you get PS3s in 225/50 R16, then perfect. PS3s should cost 9800. Abhinav had got them for his car recently.

If not that, nothing else apart from CPC2. CPC2 will cost around 8k or so. Not too sure.

If neither of these tyres are available, then I suggest you think of some Yokohama tyre.

Expected price? I dont know. In my opinion, not a lot as no one will buy an RFT.
Old 6th March 2010, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm absolutely sure that the tyres are ER300 RFT Turanzas. Having said that, I hope I don't have to eat my words

Are Primacy LPs so soft that the sidewall is prone to cuts and damage? The tyres need to be durable too! They sound like comfort-oriented tyres.

Are Michelin PS3 sport/performance/handling oreinted tyres? That is not really my top priority, but if the ride is very good, tyre noise is not much (forgot to mention this as a requirement earlier) and are recommended/proven over a period of time by BHP'ians, then I don't ,mind going with these.

What is Michelin PP2? Have heard about these somewhere on a BMW thread.

I just thought I should mention, I'm not really fixated with brand as far as this is concerned. Generally premium car = premium tyres etc. All that is fine, but if a better tyre is available at a ower price, then I will have no problem going with it as long as it's highly recommended by BHP'ians.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th March 2010 at 15:11.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:11   #4
BANNED

Do check out Good Year Excellence.

I had 17" on My innova and they have great performance even on wet roads.

22/50/17 costed me around 7500 per tyre.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I'm absolutely sure that the tyres are ER300 RFT Turanzas. Having said that, I hope I don't have to eat my words

Are Primacy LPs so soft that the sidewall is prone to cuts and damage? The tyres need to be durable too! They sound like comfort-oriented tyres.

Are Michelin PS3 sport/performance/handling oreinted tyres? That is not really my top priority, but if the ride is very good, tyre noise is not much (forgot to mention this as a requirement earlier) and are recommended/proven over a period of time by BHP'ians, then I don't ,mind going with these.

What is Michelin PP2? Have heard about these somewhere on a BMW thread.

I just thought I should mention, I'm not really fixated with brand as far as this is concerned. Generally premium car = premium tyres etc. All that is fine, but if a better tyre is available at a ower price, then I will have no problem going with it as long as it's highly recommended by BHP'ians.
i chose goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 for my 320d with aftermarket wheels. i wrote down what my options were for tyres and checked their reviews on the internet.

from the ones that were available, the f1 gsd3's came out on top on all parameters.

there are loads of websites out there. google it.
Old 7th March 2010, 15:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just took delivery. For some reason, my dad decided that we are sticking with the RFTs !! Since I didn't have a say in the matter, fair enough. Thanks for your help, folks. Requesting that this thread be closed.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:39   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Thread re-opened. Good chance that, another new 320d owner may be sailing the same boat and wants to continue with this discussion.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 16:26   #8
BHPian

My brother just bought a second hand 320 D ! Lucky it came with 225/50 R16 Good year excellence tyres fitted as a replacement of the run - flats,

As my initial feedback i find them to be pretty fine in terms of road noise and ride quality. Road grip & handling are OK could definitely use some improvement.

Am now thinking of getting a spare fitted with the same tyre and getting the tools for changing it too - jack, jack handle, hub nut wrench -(the standard tool kit doesn't contain all these, apart from the hub nut adapter)

- Can anyone give any suggestions on what would be the approximate cost of an alloy wheel and the tyre ? The tools im hoping can be purchase off the shelf from any good shop.

- Can a pantograph jack of say the SX4 be used ?

- Do we need to purchase the alloy wheel from the BMW dealer itself or can another 16" alloy wheel/rim be used ? How about an SX4 alloy wheel ?

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 8th March 2010 at 16:35.
Old 8th March 2010, 19:24   #9
BHPian

@mod: thanks for re-opening the thread. i guess this has better relevance than me posting a new one.
---
Hi all,
I have searched this topic on TeamBHP and it seems to have been beat to death the unanimous choice is NO RFT!! But all those threads seem dated and I wanted to check what would be the right option in today’s time.
I have just purchased a 3 yr old 320i - done about 25k. The tyres seem to be quite bad and are in need of replacement.
How much more comfortable would the ride get if I switch from RFT to regular? Maybe we could rate in terms of say – gets from a Tata safari to civic? Or something like that...

Prices have dropped drastically and new RFTs (225/50/R16) are about 11,500 each and regular tubeless of any brand of the same specs are about 9.5-11k.
The car still has BMW secure in force, and I can get all the tyres replaced (RFT) under the scheme for about 50% cost (they pay as per tread depth) OR I could just buy aftermarket rubbers. With the SECURE option, RFT actually turn out to be cheaper, but on the other side, I'm sceptical to go with them since I feel they have a very short life and are prone to cuts in addition to bad ride quality. But on the other hand the car doesn't have space for a spare wheel and so if I use regular tubeless tyres I'm not sure what to do in case I need to head off for a long drive, etc?

If tubeless IS the best way to go, which is the ultimate tyre I should go for?

Thanks all in advance!
-Z-
Old 8th March 2010, 20:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddo View Post
@mod: thanks for re-opening the thread. i guess this has better relevance than me posting a new one.
---
Prices have dropped drastically and new RFTs (225/50/R16) are about 11,500 each and regular tubeless of any brand of the same specs are about 9.5-11k.
The car still has BMW secure in force, and I can get all the tyres replaced (RFT) under the scheme for about 50% cost (they pay as per tread depth) OR I could just buy aftermarket rubbers. With the SECURE option, RFT actually turn out to be cheaper, but on the other side, I'm sceptical to go with them since I feel they have a very short life and are prone to cuts in addition to bad ride quality. But on the other hand the car doesn't have space for a spare wheel and so if I use regular tubeless tyres I'm not sure what to do in case I need to head off for a long drive, etc?

If tubeless IS the best way to go, which is the ultimate tyre I should go for?

Thanks all in advance!
-Z-
Hi Z ! My views below :-

Even if the RFT's were at the same price of the normal tubeless i would not go for them, reason being -

- Pathetic road condition, increase in probability of punctures

- Lack of repair network & knowledge of repairing RFT's

- Ride comfort

- I read in the owners manual, BMW recommends the RFT be replaced rather than repaired after being driven with no air pressure. Owners manual doesn't give any tips to repair it either !!

- For the reason above, I would anyways carry a spare anyways with a tool kit & stop the car once the TPMS alert goes off, change to the spare & move on !!

Boot space would definitely get impacted though. BMW hasn't designed the boot with the depression for the spare tyre and placing a spare would surely eat up available space :(

Regarding the ultimate tubeless tyre, need feedback from other 3 owners !
Old 9th March 2010, 14:54   #11
BHPian

Thanks nirmaljustdoit! i'm convinced about the regular tires i guess... now the choice is which one!?! I don't have any major apprehension for budget (if within reasonable range) since these will last me for about 30-35k+ kms/2-3+ yrs.

what about the "BMW mobility kit" ? any ideas on that??
Old 9th March 2010, 19:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, someone please englighten me on the BMW Mobility kit as well.

As far as tyres go, I was recommended Continental CPC2, or as an alternative you could try Michelin Primacy (HP/LP, one of the two is correct, dont remember which...lol).
Old 10th March 2010, 13:14   #13
BHPian

so between the Conti and Michelins, which is the first choice? the Merc S320 have Conti as stock, however i've never seen them recommended elsewhere!? even local tyrewallahs don't seem to stock them at least in Pune.

from my searches online the contiCPC2 has a speed rating of R=170km/h, and the michelin HP has V=240km/h --- the car has a rated top speed of 200, now i know i wont be pushing her to that limit, but i would like to experience "Joy is BMW" at least once in a while on the expressway

Any other brand/model?

as for the mobility kit - here is a link of what it is: Turner Motorsport - Item# 71100413439 / 71*10*0*413*439 - BMW M Mobility Kit - Emergency Tire Repair and Air Compressor Kit - E82 E90 E91 E92 E70
basically a compressor + some sealant fluid and some other stuff like gloves! etc..
just don't know if it's worth it! also maybe a regular aftermarket DC compressor can be substituted, what about the sealant gel? does that stuff really work?
Old 10th March 2010, 14:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Contis DO NOT have an R Rated tyre. You must be mistaken. H rated = 210kmph. But the 225/50 R16 Conti CPC2 is V rated = 240kmph.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:01   #15
BHPian

yes Nikhilb2008, seems I misread it the first time. re-checked, they are available in V as well as W rating for the 225/50R16!

anyone, how is the GY eagle F1 suggested by bikerSG? i like the tyre (looks cool!) but have heard reviews that it has high rolling resistance and also makes the steering stiffer additionally has also got higher level of road noise??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks