Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 14:23   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review : Yokohama Geolandar AT-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
I am kicking myself for not having researched well; and for having missed this thread completely.

I have a Bolero back home; it was due for a tyre change. There were a couple (well, more than a handful) of punctures in the last 3 months. At 67,000 odd kms; the Bridgestones still had ok thread; but 6.7 years and the recent punctures made me consider a tyre change.

It so happened that, while passing Madhu’s Tyre Store (Bangalore) I saw that the store front was nearly empty. Which is a rare sight. So I went in and enquired. Bridgestone were the priciest. Was mulling over moving to tubeless; Yoko Geolanders was available. And I took the plunge.

In the back of my mind; I said; I have seen this tyres so many times on Jeeps, Boleros, TBhp pics, discussion threads, they ought to be super VFM and long lasting, problem free ones.
And now, I see this thread…..

Lesson learnt:
T-shirt – Impulsive buying – OK
Car Tyres – Impulsive buying – Time will tell….

Wish me luck!
If only BS Dueler was priced closer to Yoko; I would never have had moved brands; was content for the last 6.5 years.
Dont worry man! Sheesh! For every Yoko damaged pic you see on tBHP there will be a thousand tyres without any issues and quietly going about their duty!!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 20:20   #62
BHPian

My experience with Yokos. I've been running these tyres on my scorpio for now 20k Kms without any issues whatsoever. Personally feel they are better than Bridgestone in terms of ride quality and grip. Just need to be careful of the weak sidewall issues. Fill up 2-3 psi more than recommended and all's well thereafter. Happy riding
princey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 16:23   #63
BHPian

Hi,
earlier I had posted of having some cracks in the Yoko, but I have been really lazy on this matter. tyres are running good, just fill air / nitro (whatever available) and keep driving. I didnt bother much of those minor cracks. have carried out twice alignment & once balancing activity. touchwood, not a single puncture till date.

replaced in 82K KM in Oct'13
now, 101K KM in Sept'14.

hope these tyres are good for future too.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:26   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
My experience with Yokos. I've been running these tyres on my scorpio for now 20k Kms without any issues whatsoever. Personally feel they are better than Bridgestone in terms of ride quality and grip. Just need to be careful of the weak sidewall issues. Fill up 2-3 psi more than recommended and all's well thereafter. Happy riding

Went ahead and bought the Geolanders . Have found better grip and better ride quality when compared to BS .

I have also heard a lot about sidewall issue in the team bhp thread . I use more of national highways then going off road . Hope we have no issues .

Wish me luck ....
Old 29th September 2014, 14:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,
earlier I had posted of having some cracks in the Yoko, but I have been really lazy on this matter. tyres are running good, just fill air / nitro (whatever available) and keep driving. I didnt bother much of those minor cracks. have carried out twice alignment & once balancing activity. touchwood, not a single puncture till date.

replaced in 82K KM in Oct'13
now, 101K KM in Sept'14.

hope these tyres are good for future too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Went ahead and bought the Geolanders . Have found better grip and better ride quality when compared to BS .

I have also heard a lot about sidewall issue in the team bhp thread . I use more of national highways then going off road . Hope we have no issues .

Wish me luck ....
I have been running these tires since I reached the 5k mark on my scrorpio. Right now at 55k ,I am still running on the same set of tires and its only 2 punctures I have encountered in all these years.
People here have voiced their concerns about the sidewalls being weak and other issues, something I am yet to run into. Touch wood !!

This is how the tires look even after 50k clicks of driving on mixed roads.

Review : Yokohama Geolandar AT-S-10644520_10152294130465588_4152150232345837316_o.jpg
rjstyles69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I have been running these tires since I reached the 5k mark on my scrorpio. Right now at 55k ,I am still running on the same set of tires and its only 2 punctures I have encountered in all these years.
People here have voiced their concerns about the sidewalls being weak and other issues, something I am yet to run into. Touch wood !!

This is how the tires look even after 50k clicks of driving on mixed roads.

Attachment 1293942
@RK

You give me a lot of confidence and hope i have made the right decision .At 50K these look pretty good . Meanwhile after going through the pic , i wanted to check with you if the scorpio is a SLE or a VLX .

If its a VLX , i have some questions on how you handled the TPMS sensor change over in the mag wheels . They look awesome
Old 29th September 2014, 15:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
@RK

You give me a lot of confidence and hope i have made the right decision .At 50K these look pretty good . Meanwhile after going through the pic , i wanted to check with you if the scorpio is a SLE or a VLX .

If its a VLX , i have some questions on how you handled the TPMS sensor change over in the mag wheels . They look awesome
Thanks and that's an SLE.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:55   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Thanks and that's an SLE.
@RJ

Alas , u can have the best mag wheel having chosen the SLE . Having selected the top end VLX , i cannot change the mag wheels as i was informed that the TPMS sensor fixed to my tyres break when they are to be replaced for a new after market mag wheels .

it seems volvo SC60 has also TPMS and is a screw type & can be placed in a new mag wheel . Wish Scorpio team is listening to this feedback and changes the way the TPMS is mounted.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:54   #69
BHPian

This is a rather crude workaround, but if you leave the sensor inside your tyre after you break it while removing, the TPMS would still show the pressure !!
Just make sure you put it right back into the corresponding tyre. I've not done it personally, but have seen a tyre store guy do it for customers who were insistent on changing the alloys on the VLX. And it works !
Old 4th October 2014, 15:19   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
This is a rather crude workaround, but if you leave the sensor inside your tyre after you break it while removing, the TPMS would still show the pressure !!
Just make sure you put it right back into the corresponding tyre. I've not done it personally, but have seen a tyre store guy do it for customers who were insistent on changing the alloys on the VLX. And it works !
WHOA!
This sounds entirely implausible to say it mildly.
I don't see how a broken sensor dangling or flying around inside a tyre can be a good thing.
I do believe it can be detached without actually breaking it, but if it does break, I see no sense in putting it back in and running the risk of serious internal damage to the tyre!
Old 13th July 2015, 00:45   #71
BHPian

I recently completed 50k on my Scorpio fitted with Yokohama Geolandars right from day 1. It's been an absolute joy using these tyres. I've had 2-3 other Scorpio owners comment on the smoothness and comfort of the ride after driving my car compared to their car. In the last 4 years and 2 months, I've not seen a single puncture and even the tread is still as good as new and will easily last me another 30k kms at least. This has till date been the best investment on any aftermarket fitment till date for me.
eltoro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:04   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I don't think anyone who's used tyres for long would dispute the fact that this is a clear case of impact damage. I can empathize with you for having to shell out for a new tyre and completely understand your outburst, but the company service engineer / executive would not have had any say in the matter as under the claims policy your case falls under "user abuse / external injury" rather than being a manufacturing defect. Here's hoping to a longer service life with the remaining tyres
Here is an update on the Yokohama Geolanders that i had purchased in 2012.

OE Dunlops (which are ALL WEATHER and NOT All Terrain tyres) had lasted 72,000 kms. When they were replaced they were in pretty bad shape with some areas almost bald.

Had replaced them with Yokohama Geolander ATS which is a proper All Terrain tyre. After the initial hiccup of a rear tyre sidewall bursting i had lost confidence in these tyres.

That was in 2012. Now 4 years and 96,000 kms later with two trips to Spiti and one to Leh among countless highway runs with the same tyres my confidence is fully restored.

Plan to replace this set of Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/R17 with Yokohama Geloander ATS 275/65/R17 in the next few weeks.

Must say also that whereas the Dunlops were dangerously bald at 72,000 kms the Geolanders have another 5 to 10 thousand kms of highway driving life in them still after running 96,000 kms.

Here is a pic of them in their current state at the 1,65,000 kms service of Obelix.. at which point they had done 94,000 kms.
Review : Yokohama Geolandar AT-S-20160719_143209.jpg

Last edited by Manuuj : 2nd September 2016 at 15:06.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 11:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review : Yokohama Geolandar AT-S

Need advise from Yoko experts as my Xylo is due for tyre change. Size is 215/75 R15.

My stock tyres were Bridgestone Duelers and had served for 50000KMs with very few punctures or issues. And had enough life for another 10000KMs easily but did not wanted to take any chances with a 4 year tyres with less thread. Fuel efficiency was good but handling was not great especially while cornering.

I changed to Michelin Latitude Cross which completed little above 40000KMs now. Being a unidirectional tyre, the outer-side worn out significantly and can hardly do another 10000KMs. Its about 3.5 years old as car is sparingly used. I am extremely happy with the handling of Michelins and zero puncture till date (touch wood). And it saw lot of action in forest roads and hill stations which were terribly bad (though not a 4WD only track).

Now since my car is about 8 years old and I might keep her for maximum 2 more years or 20000KMs roughly, do not want to go overboard with investment. However handling cannot be compromised and should be abuse friendly. Michelins are now trading at really high prices to its competitions and hence trying to choose among the two below.

Yokohama Geolandar AT/S - INR 5900 per piece
Continental Cross Contact - INR 6300 per piece

Could you please provide your views on Geolandar as read many issues with sidewalls.

Last edited by jacs : 11th January 2017 at 12:02.
Old 11th January 2017, 12:24   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Need advise from Yoko experts as my Xylo is due for tyre change. Size is 215/75 R15.

My stock tyres were Bridgestone Duelers and had served for 50000KMs with very few punctures or issues. And had enough life for another 10000KMs easily but did not wanted to take any chances with a 4 year tyres with less thread. Fuel efficiency was good but handling was not great especially while cornering.

I changed to Michelin Latitude Cross which completed little above 40000KMs now. Being a unidirectional tyre, the outer-side worn out significantly and can hardly do another 10000KMs. Its about 3.5 years old as car is sparingly used. I am extremely happy with the handling of Michelins and zero puncture till date (touch wood). And it saw lot of action in forest roads and hill stations which were terribly bad (though not a 4WD only track).

Now since my car is about 8 years old and I might keep her for maximum 2 more years or 20000KMs roughly, do not want to go overboard with investment. However handling cannot be compromised and should be abuse friendly. Michelins are now trading at really high prices to its competitions and hence trying to choose among the two below.

Yokohama Geolandar AT/S - INR 5900 per piece
Continental Cross Contact - INR 6300 per piece

Could you please provide your views on Geolandar as read many issues with sidewalls.
Jacs.. Close your eyes and go for Geolander. Stock Bridgestone on my 2009 Xylo lasted for 57000 kms. Second set was Geolander (upsized from stock) ran for 70000kms. I am in the new set which has already run 13000kms. Great road grip and plush ride for sure
gautham.mg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 15:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
read many issues with sidewalls.
It depends on how often you plan on going off-road. For most purposes the Yokos will be better suited. Cross Contact has been advised as a better offroad tyre than Geolander on the forum.

For bad roads, I've never had a problem with Geolanders. But I am now switching to CC as I do tend to go offroad once in a while.

This is what had happened to one of the tyres when I took my Grand Vitara on a dry river bed near Haridwar:

Review : Yokohama Geolandar AT-S-fullsizerender.jpg
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks