Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 20:09   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I've changed to XM2s (4 for Rs 7200 in exchange for stock Apollos). After taking the dealer's clearance, I went in for 185/65/14 profile, which cost only Rs 200 more in all when compared to the stock size.

I am very happy with the tyres. The grip is amazing,and so is the ride. I haven't got a chance to test the grip on wet roads so far.

I even got a wheel bearing replaced under warranty last week, with no objection at all from the A.S.S.

But do check with your dealer before you change the stock size, as some of them could be finicky.

The speedo error for my upsized tyres is around 2%, but even then I've been getting an FE of 15.5 to 16.5 in Hyderabad city. I've also benefited from a marginal increase in GC

Good luck to you.
Old 30th March 2013, 13:10   #242
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking to book Figo diesel in the coming week and was trying to find out how I could increased the GC, as that is the only thing holding me back on deciding on the Figo.

I would like to know what upsize would help in this regard.

My only concern is to increase the GC, and of course that handling, ride and FE do not suffer much.

Thanks.
Old 4th May 2013, 12:20   #243
BHPian

Hi Guys, i would be taking delivery of my Figo Petrol next week. I have checked the car and the stock tires are GoodYear GT3. Please advice if I should stick to Stock or upgrade?

Also, do you think if it is worthwhile to go for up sizing?
Old 5th June 2013, 07:43   #244
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

Any of you used Bridgestone Potenza G-3 or MY-02 on your Figo? How would one compare it with the XM-2?

Isn't the A-Drive's side walls a bit too soft? How has been the experience with the A Drives?

Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 16:58   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Any of you used Bridgestone Potenza G-3 or MY-02 on your Figo? How would one compare it with the XM-2?

Isn't the A-Drive's side walls a bit too soft? How has been the experience with the A Drives?

Thanks
I am using Potenza G3 185/60R14 on my Figo. I don't know how it compares to XM2 (never having driven a car shod with them), but I will say this. It will take plenty of abuse without punctures or damage. On the handling front, at the absolute limit, I get the feeling the rubber does not quite suit the suspension set-up. But it does give me the confidence to explore the limits
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 08:10   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I am using Potenza G3 185/60R14 on my Figo. I don't know how it compares to XM2 (never having driven a car shod with them), but I will say this. It will take plenty of abuse without punctures or damage. On the handling front, at the absolute limit, I get the feeling the rubber does not quite suit the suspension set-up. But it does give me the confidence to explore the limits
Hi!

This is the aspect I am looking at. Good rubber which can withstand abuse. I think besides Z LO & Bridgestone & maybe XM-2, none would fit this criteria.

I absolutely detest punctures & leaks, hence...

Been hearing good things about Z LO as well. I shall update once I decide to swap.

Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 11:29   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Thanks
My Figo is running on Potenza G-3(185/65/R14) for the past 37k.Till today no puncture,bulges and should easily last 50k.O.E supply was Good Year GT-3 Which I changed at 33k due to bulges on two tyres.
If comfort is priority XM-2 is a better choice than GT-3
A Drive's side walls is not that soft when compared with XM-2.A-drive is much cheaper when compared with G-3 or XM-2.
Esu Junior is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 09:16   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
My Figo is running on Potenza G-3(185/65/R14) for the past 37k.Till today no puncture,bulges and should easily last 50k.O.E supply was Good Year GT-3 Which I changed at 33k due to bulges on two tyres.
If comfort is priority XM-2 is a better choice than GT-3
A Drive's side walls is not that soft when compared with XM-2.A-drive is much cheaper when compared with G-3 or XM-2.
Thanks

From what the shop keeper says, the My-02 & G-3 are almost the same.

How would you rate the XM-2 as far as toughness goes? Which has the better grip in 185/60 R14?

I see you have put 65 aspect ration instead of 60? Improvements & drawbacks?
Old 19th June 2013, 00:10   #249
BHPian

MY-02 & G-3 are not the same.MY-01,02 are imported ones while G-3 is indian made.MY-02 has sportier looks than G-3 & 01.Side wall plies in MY-01 is only 1 when compared to 2 in G-3.So Side wall of G-3 must be stronger.I haven't checked MY-02.
I opted for 185/65/R14 for improving the GC.Now no more underbelly scraping even with 28psi.Not much of difference in handling,mileage with185/ 65 aspect ratio.If you go for 185/60R14,GC will come down.

My BIL's innova has clocked 35k on michellin primacy so far without problems and should last till 45k easily.If comfort is priority go for michellin.
Esu Junior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 12:31   #250
BHPian

Yesterday I have changed my Figo’s stock tyres to Michellin Energy XM2 185/65 R14
The dealer was strongly saying that you were going for wrong size. He insisted me on 185/60 R14. And he was more inclined towards Yoko C drives for better ride comfort.
Even he warned me that you would damage your entire steering system with these upsize tyres due to the weight.
He told me that Yoko were light weight compare to XM2 so just go for that, but I sticked to my decision and replaced the tyres wit XM2.
First drive with XM2 was like great ride quality with minimal noise, felt like significant height rise from stock tyres. Tyres seem like hard and stiff compare to XM1 (in my ANHC).
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20130621_095454.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20130621_095514.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20130621_095529.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20130621_095547.jpg  

Old 21st June 2013, 12:50   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Yesterday I have changed my Figo’s stock tyres to Michellin Energy XM2 185/65 R14

First drive with XM2 was like great ride quality with minimal noise, felt like significant height rise from stock tyres. Tyres seem like hard and stiff compare to XM1 (in my ANHC).
Nice choice, this size actually works well for the figo. It increases the height a bit and reduce scraping issue. I've been running them for more than 20K KM now on my figo, very happy with them.

Cheers!!!
Old 24th June 2013, 21:51   #252
BHPian

Replaced the worn out stock 175/65/R14 MRFs with 185/65/R14 Yokohama C-Drives couple of days back. First impressions:
1) Road noise has reduced by at least 50-60%. The 38K kms done MRFs were quite noisy lately.
2) The ride quality has improved really well. There is lesser undulations getting transmitted to inside the car and the Figo is more composed over the bad patches.
3) The grip levels have increased leaps and bounds. The Figo loves the corners much more now with the new shoes on.
4) Grip levels are great in both dry and wet conditions. Thanks to the rains in Hyderabad.
5) The steering feels a tad lighter than what it was before. I am not sure if this is just a feeling or really the Yokos lightened the steering. The feel is still spot on. I just love the feel and the heaviness in Figo's steering and am sure I will miss this REAL badly in my next car, years down the line.
6) Again I have a feeling the body roll has increased a teeny weeny bit. I cannot confirm this completely though since it's a very marginal "feel" I get while in corners. It might be the softer sidewall compared to the MRFs? Not sure.
7) Since I upsized to 185s from the stock 175s, the tires now bulge a bit out of the stock steel rims, which I kind of hate and feel is a bit unsafe. This calls for an alloy upgrade. Started saving some dough already.
Old 30th June 2013, 19:02   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
5) The steering feels a tad lighter than what it was before. I am not sure if this is just a feeling or really the Yokos lightened the steering. The feel is still spot on.
Not sure how, may be the old tyres with lesser thread were more on contact patch ?

Quote:
6) Again I have a feeling the body roll has increased a teeny weeny bit. I cannot confirm this completely though since it's a very marginal "feel" I get while in corners. It might be the softer sidewall compared to the MRFs? Not sure.
You are right on that.

Quote:
7) Since I upsized to 185s from the stock 175s, the tires now bulge a bit out of the stock steel rims, which I kind of hate and feel is a bit unsafe. This calls for an alloy upgrade. Started saving some dough already.
You need to come up with a better excuse to buy those alloys.
Old 30th June 2013, 19:50   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha80n View Post
I have upgraded to Momo 15" Alloys and Good year 195/60 Tyres. See attachment. Handling is a wee bit better after the upgrade. Have done 35K till now in my diesel hatch
Changed the Tyres after 45K Km for front wheels. Back tires would run for another 5K. Went with same brand of Goodyear GT 3 195/60.

How much Km's does other tires provide. The Tire reseller was trying to induce me to buy Bridge stone stating it runs for 60K unlike Goodyear GT 3 which runs for 45K to 50K . Is this above statement true from the dealer.
Old 1st July 2013, 07:47   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You need to come up with a better excuse to buy those alloys.

The damage is already done. Got a new set of Lenso alloys (has been my fav design for a long time now) and I just looove them. Will post couple of pictures in the Alloy thread in few days. Car is looking like it just came out of a rally, with all the muck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks