Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2014, 09:04   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Planning to get new tires for our Figo TDCi Titanium. Looking for 185/65/R14 profile tires. I hope it won't be an overkill compared to the OEM size of 175/65/R14.

Can anyone please recommend good shops in Kochi?
185/65 R14 is a great upgrade for the Figo. It looks good and adds a few much needed millimeters to the ground clearance as well.

I think you should look at Michelin XM2. Expensive but excellent tyres. And I normally deal with DBS at Edapally and I can vouch for their service. Its beside Dhe Puttu on the service road.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 09:52   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
I run 185/70 considering the depth of potholes in and around cochin!

Underbelly remains unkissed! The tire in that big profile doesn't foul any other thing. However, it is a huge increase of GC. I drive sedately, so not a problem for me. Also the soft and big sidewalls make it a bit more plush!
I've seen a lot of Figos with 185 section tyres - so it seems to be the ideal choice. I'm just wondering, what about 195 section tyres? I know they'll be overkill but will they fit onto the stock alloys of the Figo Titanium?
Old 14th February 2014, 14:05   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Thanks Sedate. I will most likely go for 185/65/R14. Where did you get the tires in Kochi?

Saw your signature. Me too having an 800 5-speed and the Figo will be replacing it.

-- Jose
Its been 3+ years for me with Figo. I had made arrangements with Global Tyres before purchasing the car itself. Got my alloys per-ordered as I never wanted the multiple PCD ones with some holes vacant! I went for Yoko A Drive 185/70.

If you are getting tyres, please give extra care to the valves they put on - Get the values of a reputed company like dunlop - The values causes more trouble these days!

As DeetJohn pointed out, have heard some fantastic views about DBS and their 24/7 service

Last edited by Sedate : 14th February 2014 at 14:07.
Sedate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 08:50   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
If you are getting tyres, please give extra care to the valves they put on - Get the values of a reputed company like dunlop - The values causes more trouble these days!

As DeetJohn pointed out, have heard some fantastic views about DBS and their 24/7 service
DBS no longer operates 24x7. They shut shop at 11 PM if I am not mistaken.

Very correct about the valves. I am using Schrader valves. Very nice quality.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:11   #290
BHPian

Hey All,
My figo has been running on stock Goodyear ones for the past 40k, time to change her shoes. I was thinking of taking 185-65-14 profile for her, the MPL ford service centre guys suggested to stick with stock size since this could lead to tyres scrapping the well on full turns. Need suggestions or inputs from those who have similar upsize on their experience does the wheels scrap the wheel wells on full steering lock turns? Also checked the upsize increases the circumference by 2.2% falling within the 3% limit.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:41   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Hey All,
My figo has been running on stock Goodyear ones for the past 40k, time to change her shoes. I was thinking of taking 185-65-14 profile for her, the MPL ford service centre guys suggested to stick with stock size since this could lead to tyres scrapping the well on full turns. Need suggestions or inputs from those who have similar upsize on their experience does the wheels scrap the wheel wells on full steering lock turns? Also checked the upsize increases the circumference by 2.2% falling within the 3% limit.
I am using 185/65/R14 in my Figo for the past 30 months now. Haven't faced any issue with respect to scrapping the well. In fact, the upgrade increases the GC little which will help. However, the service center will void your suspension related warranty if they notice the tyre upgrade
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 13:08   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Hey All,
Hi,
you can easily upsize to 185/65/14 without scraping wheel wells on full turn.My figo is running on 185/65/14 from 32k - 84k snd added advantage is increase in GC and no underbody scraping even with 30 psi on 4 wheels.Go ahead with your decision.
Esu Junior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 14:18   #293
BHPian

Thanks R_DevaKumar and ESU Junior... i know that it will void warranty.. On my 4th yr warranty with one month left. So no issues there i am planning to get Conti or Michelin will post once i get it done.
Old 4th March 2014, 18:11   #294
BHPian

I'am seeing Michelin Energy XM2 185/65 R14 (set of 4 tyres) for Rs 17566/- on snapdeal. Seems very good price cos in the market they where saying ~20k for set of 4.
Just one question, what about the 'date of manufacture' for these tyres from snapdeal. Whether we can ask for money back if we find DOM greater than 1year old.
Old 4th March 2014, 23:06   #295

Guys my Figo too has done 41K on stock Accelers. Thinking of upgrading to 185/65, but mine is running on stock steel rims. Just want to know if 185/65's would fit over these.
Old 5th March 2014, 15:03   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer_Gupta View Post
Guys my Figo too has done 41K on stock Accelers. Thinking of upgrading to 185/65, but mine is running on stock steel rims. Just want to know if 185/65's would fit over these.
HI Sameer, yes you can. I will be doing it shortly and info that i gathered is also the same here. 185 65 14 is available in the market
Old 9th March 2014, 00:53   #297
BHPian

Today i changed my tyres to Yokohama Earth 1 185/65 R14 (DOT 2 months old)

Got it for Rs 4300/- per piece from Padmavathi tyres Virugambakam branch.

I searched through different forums on following tyres Yoko Earth 1, CCC5 and Michelin XM2. (I didn't considered any performance oriented tyres)

I understand one thing, All tyres are equal. We can see mixed review for every tyres including Michelin.

Most of the reviews were from people who just changed their tyres, a change from worn out OEM to any tyres will obviously give extra ordinary difference. Only very few people updated their feedback after 20-30k usage.

My observations on the shortlisted candidates ;-).
Michelin, In market (chennai) it goes for 5k per piece, a whooping 2800/- difference from Yoko earth 1 (for a set of 4). Ofcourse many goes for this brand and more satisfied customers but there are few unsatisfied souls are also there. Personally i felt they charge premium for brand image ofcourse with a quality product.

CCC5 stands between Michelin and Yoko earth 1, managed to find a tyre dealer who is ready to give it for 4.6k per piece, Dont know for some reasons i could see only very few goes for this brand.

Yoko Earth 1, Cheaper. Built for India marketing somehow worked inside my mind. Mixed review comments Plus someone from the known circle who used it for 10k kms were literally pushing me to get this tyre. I particularly liked the thread pattern and its flat look.

I changed from OEM MRF, About MRF, nothing to write about, Uneven tread bulges start throwing noise at 20k. After refitting the tyres inside out, it somewhat fixed the noise. Grips were so so and always felt scared to break hard with little sand on road. You can see the mid portion of tyres worn out much. Noise started back at 28k. Felt enough and changed it. I don't want to take risk on Tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140308_201106resized.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140308_201459resized.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140308_201940resized.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140308_202219resize.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140308_202329resize.jpg  

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 9th March 2014 at 01:18.
Old 9th March 2014, 23:01   #298
BHPian

Though its too early to comment, here are my initial observations on Yoko earth 1. Steering got lighter now but feedback remains the same. Ride got smooth-en and road undulations got soaked up well. Breaking improved really well. I can FEEL lesser rolling resistance.
On good roads, irrespective of speeds, noise level is low. but on lesser asphalt road i do hear noise. Can only comment on noise after an express way drive. If it turns out to be noisier then wrong choice for me :(.

Adding up some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140309_122600.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140309_122612.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140309_122645.jpg  

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20140309_122759.jpg  

DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 19:14   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Can only comment on noise after an express way drive. If it turns out to be noisier then wrong choice for me :(.
If you already had a chance to take it on a highway, request you to update your review. I'm planning to change my Fiesta tyres next weekend to Yoko Earth 1.
Old 15th March 2014, 13:05   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
If you already had a chance to take it on a highway, request you to update your review. I'm planning to change my Fiesta tyres next weekend to Yoko Earth 1.
Nope, Didn't got any chance. not anytime soon too.. as im going out of country coming week, i can add up my review only by next month.

So far inside city the tyres were good, added up some cushion effect plus lesser rolling resistance gives nice feel to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks