Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2016, 01:30   #436
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hey guys

Wanted to change the tyres on my Mom's figo.The stock MRF tyres have run about 45k Km in 5 years.The old tyres had a few punctures towards the end of its life and one tyre has a side wall cut.

Since my mom drives the figo mostly, she is less careful of how she drives and where she parks.So i feel soft compound tyres may not be a safe bet when it comes to withstanding abuse.Though the old MRFs haven't suffered many punctures, i doubt soft compound tyres like Michelin XM2s will be suitable.

I have set my sights on these tyres, these are local GOA prices.
1. Yokohama earth1---4.6k per tyre
2. goodyear assurance(duraplus? armogrip?)----4.2k to 4.4k per tyre

Considering my mom doesn't care for tyre noise,handling and the only thing that matters more is the abuse friendly nature and to some extent wet grip, How good are Earth1 tyres compared to the Assurance in these parameters??
I can vouch for the assurance tyres since my good friend has positive feedback of the assurance tyres with respect to the XM1+ .
OR should i reconsider the new XM2? Are they slightly tougher than the XM1?

I also tried researching about bridgestone ,where people recommend the turanza,which are bit expensive for me (5k per tyre)while the b250/290 are not that exceptional.
Any other tyre like the apollo alnac 4g? or the conti EcoContact ?

And lastly. I am getting tyres online which are at least 1k cheaper than local shops.How reliable are flipkart,snapdeal its service partner(AXA service) in installing the tyres? Do manufacture honor warranty in these circumstances?

Sorry for the many questions,but reading multiple threads of different brands for the past few hours have made me confused.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 20th February 2016 at 01:34.
Old 20th February 2016, 22:29   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hey guys

Wanted to change the tyres on my Mom's figo.The stock MRF tyres have run about 45k Km in 5 years.The old tyres had a few punctures towards the end of its life and one tyre has a side wall cut.
I would say go for the Conti Comfort Contact 5. They give a good ride as well as good grip, especially in the wet and should last around 40-50k kms of normal use. XM2's are expensive and better and offer good comfort and performance over the Contis.
Earth 1 are are lower priced but have not heard too many good reviews due to the tyre noise.
No idea of GoodYear Assurance but I am guessing they are as good as Conti's but priced lower.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:42   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I would say go for the Conti Comfort Contact 5. They give a good ride as well as good grip, especially in the wet and should last around 40-50k kms of normal use. XM2's are expensive and better and offer good comfort and performance over the Contis.
Earth 1 are are lower priced but have not heard too many good reviews due to the tyre noise.
No idea of GoodYear Assurance but I am guessing they are as good as Conti's but priced lower.
I researched about these CC5.They are a comfort oriented tyre and hence not sure its gonna take abuse well.Though it might very well last without any problem, but dont want to take a chance with soft compound tyres for my mom's Figo.

Ill decide between the earth 1 and Assurance AG.Not bothered with noise levels, just durability and decent grip.

Thanks once again
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:41   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hey guys

Since my mom drives the figo mostly, she is less careful of how she drives and where she parks.
Considering my mom doesn't care for tyre noise,handling and the only thing that matters more is the abuse friendly nature and to some extent wet grip.
The Apollos were pretty tough and came as OE . They lasted till about 59k when I changed them as they were bald by then. The number of punctures could be counted on a single hand - this is for the whole set.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 15:28   #440
BHPian

I replaced 2 of my 45k km old stock stock MRFs with Yoko Earth1 tyres.I will replace the behind two just before the rains since they have some life left in them.

Was deciding between Goodyear assurance armor grip and yoko earth 1s. Goodyear's have stronger sidewalls and have 2 years unconditional warranty for sidewalls but were slightly more expensive than the yokos.There weren't many reviews of the goodyears regarding its wet/dry grip. Decided on the cheaper yokos since people gave positive reviews of its wet/dry grip and low noise as well as durability.

Cost per tyre:
GY assurance Armor Grip: 4.5k(4.9k mrp)
Yokohoma earth1: 4.2k(4.45k mrp)

Well ill come to know how good the Earth1s are after i run some more Km but for the few km i had driven, they are silent on smooth roads and slightly audible on older degraded roads

Cost per tyre:
GY assurance Armor Grip: 4.5k(4.9k mrp)
Yokohoma earth1: 4.2k(4.45k mrp)

Regards
Old 1st April 2016, 22:52   #441
BHPian

My Figo had clocked 60K KMs in stock MRF ZV2K. Last week I had changed to Falken Sincera 185/65/14. I decided on the Falkens because I simply wanted to try them out (there were not many reviews out there).

I called up most Falken dealers in Bangalore and visited quite a few of them in search of latest tyres. The Snapdeal price was Rs. 3150 and got them from Super Tyre World JC Road for Rs. 3450. Latest I could get was 3415 manufactured, which is approximately 6 months old. BTW, it is a different story that most dealers happen to have 2016 manufactured tyres when asked over phone, but seem to have "misplaced" them when visited and can only give early to mid 2015 tyres.

I have driven about 200 KMs till now. The ride was quite bumpy initially. The air pressure was (mistakenly) set to 32 PSI, while the owner manual says 30 PSI. The ride improved a lot after reducing to 28 PSI. I chose 28 because 30 seemed bumpy as well and also considering the upsize. Tyre noise is marginally better at city speeds. I am surprised that the grip levels haven't improved much, particularly while cornering.

Anyone knows if and how much the tyre pressure have to be reduced considering upsize from 175/65 to 185/65.
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:30   #442
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to change my stock MRF ZV2K tyres on Figo TDCI Titanium 2012 model (175/65/R14). They have run for almost 46 K and the steering wheel has developed slight vibrations. As a stop-gap measure, have swapped the front and back tyres; so the steering wheel vibration is gone but i can see that two tyres have worn out quite a bit.

I have not used my spare tyre at all (of the same MRF make). Actually this tyre has a problem - soon after i bought the Figo, i guess, while taking a U-turn, the side wall hit the pavement and this one developed a side wall crack. On advise of ASS, I put a tube inside this tyre and made it a spare tyre. However fortunately this tyre was never pressed into use.

Now i have two questions - one being obvious
1) Which new make of tyres should i consider. I do a lot of highway drives and need something with less noise, more comfort, better cornering and better grip even in wet conditions to the extent possible. Was considering XM2 and Yokohoma E1. While i am open to 185/65, i had no problems whatsoever with 175/65 except the noise part. Hence should i go for 175/65 in another make?

2) What should i do with the spare tyre - should i let it as it is (new MRF) or should i replace this with one of the worn-out tyres i have. I believe two of the 4 tyres i have currently, can do another 5000 km each. I thought now that i have an opportunity, a worn out tyre in reasonable condition is better than a new tyre with a "big" defect.

Please suggest. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:46   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
2) What should i do with the spare tyre - should i let it as it is (new MRF) or should i replace this with one of the worn-out tyres i have.
Looks like you use only 4 tyres, and keep one specific tyre as spare. Hence:

1) The spare tyre already has a crack.
2) The spare tyre is also old now, and the rubber would now have hardened.

On both counts, suggest to give up the spare, and instead keep one of the two "good" old tyres as spare. Though this would also be old, at least it doesnt have the side-wall damage.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 20:35   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
Hi,

Now i have two questions - one being obvious
1) Which new make of tyres should i consider. I do a lot of highway drives and need something with less noise, more comfort, better cornering and better grip even in wet conditions to the extent possible. Was considering XM2 and Yokohoma E1. While i am open to 185/65, i had no problems whatsoever with 175/65 except the noise part. Hence should i go for 175/65 in another make?

2) What should i do with the spare tyre - should i let it as it is (new MRF) or should i replace this with one of the worn-out tyres i have. I believe two of the 4 tyres i have currently, can do another 5000 km each. I thought now that i have an opportunity, a worn out tyre in reasonable condition is better than a new tyre with a "big" defect.

Please suggest. Thanks a lot in advance.

1) I changed my stock tires to Michelin XM2 with a profile of 185/65/R14 and feel the drive has changed for good. Tyre noise is minimal and has a lot of grip during cornering too. haven't tested wet grip though, since i normally don't drive hard during rains.
I dont think the stock profile is an issue, but an increased profile gives the much needed boost in GC. Infact, if possible go for 185/70/R14 since it increases the GC of the Figo further.

2) i think your thinking is right, better to keep a used tyre as the spare compared to a defective one.
CruzeLiner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 23:01   #445
BHPian

Has anybody used 185/70/R14 in their Figo? I want to know how it compares to 185/65.. Does it cause any scraping?
Old 30th May 2016, 08:30   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Has anybody used 185/70/R14 in their Figo? I want to know how it compares to 185/65.. Does it cause any scraping?
looks like XM2 comes with 185/70/R14 now a days, though when i changed them in 2014 it came only in 185/65/r14.

you can go through this thread to find some feedback on the upgrade to this profile http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...thread-27.html
Old 8th June 2016, 14:41   #447
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Figo TDCi Titanium, after completing almost 55K kms on the stock tyres, my front 2 were in for a change. Infact, one of them had a puncture right next to the previous puncture glue.

Anyways, I opted for Michelin XM2s.

This was more of an emergency change and hence i did not get time to seek suggestions from you guys.

2 things that my mind needs to be sure of:

a) The dealer is an authorized one listed on the Michelin website, and i even got a SMS with the warranty number and all, however, I have also heard of cases where these "authorized dealers" only try and pass off imports. How does one make sure the XMs are genuine?

b) The stock tyres were 175/65 R14, the XMs dealer gave me are 175/70 R14. Is this ok?
Old 9th June 2016, 17:57   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
How does one make sure the XMs are genuine?
There should be a ISI mark on the tyre. You can check the manufacturing date as well from the sidewall.

Quote:
b) The stock tyres were 175/65 R14, the XMs dealer gave me are 175/70 R14. Is this ok?
It is just a slight increase in sidewall height which will increase your ground clearance as well.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 02:09   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
There should be a ISI mark on the tyre. You can check the manufacturing date as well from the sidewall
Thanks for the valuable suggestion mate.
I also read the team-bhp thread on how ISI mark was made mandatory on tyres long back now.

However, I failed to spot any ISI mark on my XM2s.
Attaching a few pics for your review, just in case i'm missing out on something:

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9124.jpg

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9123.jpg

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9122.jpg

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9120.jpg

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9121.jpg

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9119.jpg

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9118.jpg

Just in case these are not genuine XM2s....then what
Old 12th June 2016, 11:13   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the valuable suggestion mate.
I also read the team-bhp thread on how ISI mark was made mandatory on tyres long back now.

However, I failed to spot any ISI mark on my XM2s.
Attaching a few pics for your review, just in case i'm missing out on something:

Attachment 1516882

Attachment 1516883

Attachment 1516884

Attachment 1516885

Attachment 1516886

Attachment 1516887

Attachment 1516888

Just in case these are not genuine XM2s....then what
Did you check gthe inside of the tyres?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks