Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2016, 11:26   #451
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hmmm...i didnt actually, the tyre is fitted, will have to find a way to inspect the inside without taking it off.

I took it for granted that the certification would be on the outside.

Old 13th June 2016, 12:34   #452
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,
I'm in need of changing tyres for my figo. I need your inputs for selecting the right set of new tyres. Pls help

Current scenario
Model: 2012 1.4 TDCI Titanium
Usage: 20K (car usage reduce after 1st year due to various reasons like office location change, bike preference etc. Off late I use it each month for drive between Bangalore to Chennai)
Current Tyres info: Goodyear GT3 175/65 R14; couple of tyres are worn and servicing guys have suggested to replace them soon. They are now moved to rear with the front two tyres (good ones are now fitted with good ones (read as: no any apparent damage to my eyes and also to ford service folks)
Expectations: I'm happy with current ride quality except I would want to reduce road noise. I don't want to change the tyre size as I don't have any major gripes with my ride.

Options considered
1. Buy new set of 2 tyres and fit them in the front. Move the old good ones to rear
2. Buy new set of 4 tyres as I'm not sure if having two brands with different threads will impact the ride
For both options I need your inputs in choosing the correct brand (I'm a novice when it comes to tyres types and brands ). I'm ok in spending little more in buying better tyres if it improves ride quality further. Pls share your thoughts
Old 19th June 2016, 23:10   #453
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need your inputs please.

My Figo tdci Titanium of Oct 2012 vintage is completing 49000 clicks on the odo, and I plan to change the tyres within a month. It's been running on Michellin XM2s from day 1. I'm quite happy with the tyres, but was contemplating whether it would be worthwhile changing to Continentals or Yokos or Bridgestones.

Any comments are welcome. Also, what are the pros and cons of each, apart from the cost? The only problem we faced with the XM2s were a couple of sidewall cuts, but that could be attributed to rash driving by my son. I have been using the 185/65/14 profiles, and plan to use the same.
Old 20th June 2016, 09:44   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1980 View Post
Current Tyres info: Goodyear GT3 175/65 R14; couple of tyres are worn and servicing guys have suggested to replace them soon.
Why only couple of them worn? Didn't you do tyre rotation regularly?

Quote:
They are now moved to rear with the front two tyres (good ones are now fitted with good ones (read as: no any apparent damage to my eyes and also to ford service folks)
Its a mistake to have worn tyres at back.. Read more here...

Quote:

Options considered
1. Buy new set of 2 tyres and fit them in the front. Move the old good ones to rear
2. Buy new set of 4 tyres as I'm not sure if having two brands with different threads will impact the ride
For both options I need your inputs in choosing the correct brand (I'm a novice when it comes to tyres types and brands ). I'm ok in spending little more in buying better tyres if it improves ride quality further. Pls share your thoughts
Why repeat the earlier mistake. Take one time hit. Buy 5 new tyres! Not 2, not 4 but 5. Make regular rotation, including one in boot. Remember you have barely used tyre in boot, what good it would be in 3 years down the line when you have you second set of tyres start puncturing...

I do clockwise rotation, starting with Front right tyre... my usual rotation in (every 3 months) is like this.

FR-> BR
BR-> Boot
Boot -> BL
BL->FL
FL->FR.

Do balance where required! This will ensure over period all tyres used same extent!

As far tyre brand goes, I use Yokohama Earth1. They are quiet tyres. You can also choose XM2. If you are replacing all 5 tyres, try 185/65 R14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

My Figo tdci Titanium of Oct 2012 vintage is completing 49000 clicks on the odo, and I plan to change the tyres within a month. It's been running on Michellin XM2s from day 1. I'm quite happy with the tyres, but was contemplating whether it would be worthwhile changing to Continentals or Yokos or Bridgestones.
If you can extract 49K kms with XM2, you should stick to XM2.

I use Yokohama Earth1 now on Fiesta-classic, earlier I used Yokohama A drive. Compared to A-drive, earth 1 is silent and better feel to drive. I could get 43K with A-drive, hence I assume will get similar mileage with Earth1 also. I suggest take a look at Earth1 before finalizing next tyres.
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 09:55   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Sir I have XM2 on Figo and Earth1 on Fiesta. Honestly I found them very similar to XM2 during regular highway drives. In fact XM2 on Figo appear noisy due to lower levels of dampening or cladding.
During hard cornering, I found XM2 to be marginally better but not much. Price paid for Yoko's is 4100/tire including balancing, alignment. Weights extra.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 10:36   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any comments are welcome. Also, what are the pros and cons of each, apart from the cost? The only problem we faced with the XM2s were a couple of sidewall cuts, but that could be attributed to rash driving by my son. I have been using the 185/65/14 profiles, and plan to use the same.
I would recommend Michelin Energy XM2. Have heard complaints of side wall bulge in Yokohamas from couple of my friends. I have been using MIchelins on my Fiesta.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 11:31   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I would recommend Michelin Energy XM2. Have heard complaints of side wall bulge in Yokohamas from couple of my friends. I have been using MIchelins on my Fiesta.
Sidewall bulge in Earth 1 or A drive? I have heard issues with A drives but never with earth one.
Old 20th June 2016, 11:51   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Sidewall bulge in Earth 1 or A drive? I have heard issues with A drives but never with earth one.
Sorry. No idea about that.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 12:01   #459
BHPian

Thanks RaguHolla for your views and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Why only couple of them worn? Didn't you do tyre rotation regularly?
Yes. The mistake was not to rotate the tyres regularly.

Quote:
Its a mistake to have worn tyres at back.
It made sense to me when the service engineer suggested moving the worn tyres at the back since it is a front wheel driven car. But the referenced post was enlightening and myth busting.

Quote:
Why repeat the earlier mistake. Take one time hit.
I agree to your point. I will go for replacing the entire set of 5 tyres
Old 20th June 2016, 12:36   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Sir I have XM2 on Figo and Earth1 on Fiesta. Honestly I found them very similar to XM2 during regular highway drives. In fact XM2 on Figo appear noisy due to lower levels of dampening or cladding.
During hard cornering, I found XM2 to be marginally better but not much. Price paid for Yoko's is 4100/tire including balancing, alignment. Weights extra.
Thanks. The price difference of 2500 for a set of 4 is making me veer towards the Earth1s. But are they as silent as the Michellin Energy XM2s?

This apart, I found the XM2s tend to squeal on hard cornering. I wonder how the Earth1s will compare. I believe Contis are the best for cornering, going by feedback on the Fiesta tyre thread.
Old 20th June 2016, 17:02   #461
BHPian

Got the tyre changed and up sized on my 2010 49000 km run figo. XM2's were slightly out of my budget at 5200-5300 per tyre. Settled on Bridgestone B290's 185/65/R14 at 4500 per tyre including fitting and balancing. Weights and alignment extra. Sold off the 4 bald tyres at 500/-. Compared to the original apollo acelers, these tyres fill the wheel well quite good. Haven't driven much, but tyre noise, grip surely felt better. The steering feels light and precise and the stance looks macho .

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo01051.jpg
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo0104.jpg
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo0103.jpg
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 22:49   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. The price difference of 2500 for a set of 4 is making me veer towards the Earth1s. But are they as silent as the Michellin Energy XM2s?

This apart, I found the XM2s tend to squeal on hard cornering. I wonder how the Earth1s will compare. I believe Contis are the best for cornering, going by feedback on the Fiesta tyre thread.
They are noisier than XM2 but not by much. I initially wanted to go for Contis but then thought I'll save for a while and go for them after upgrading to 15" rims. If by any chance ur visiting Pune/Goa then welcome to TD my cat.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:57   #463
BHPian

Hi, i have changed changed my stock MRF tyres on Figo TDCI to XM2 175/65/R14.

Paid INR 19000 for 4 tyres. Got a gift card worth INR 600. Net Cost per tyre came to INR 4600.

Did this change at SLNP Pitstop in Kalyan nagar.

Just one question? What is the standard pressure i need to maintain for XM2? Most of the times we are only two people in the car with occasional long drives.

I used to keep 30 psi on MRF and 32 psi respectively for 2 people and 4 people in the car.

Can i continue with this on XM2 also?
figo_gpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:28   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post

Just one question? What is the standard pressure i need to maintain for XM2?
It will remain the same since the size is the same as stock.
There will be huge difference in comfort coming from stock MRF's to these.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 11:53   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
Hi, i have changed changed my stock MRF tyres on Figo TDCI to XM2 175/65/R14.

Paid INR 19000 for 4 tyres. Got a gift card worth INR 600. Net Cost per tyre came to INR 4600.

Did this change at SLNP Pitstop in Kalyan nagar.
Thanks for this information. I'm planning to visit the same shop for upgrading my car's tyres to XM2 (185/65/R14) from Goodyear this weekend.
Does the cost mentioned include balancing as well? Also how much did they offer for your old tyres?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks