Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 11:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

@ridinthru: The pricing for 14" rim will be same which I stated in my earlier post, though white machined ones are dearer by 100 Rs./piece, you can check the availability of preferred designs with Reliance Auto Zone or Carplus.
Old 19th February 2011, 23:40   #77
BHPian

Should I go for 185/65 or 185/60 as a upgrade for my Figo? I have picked Plati PY203 as my alloy choice. But I am not sure if it fits the PCD108 of Figo. Is there any way to find this out? Appreciate any input on this front.

Thanks
askids
Old 26th February 2011, 22:00   #78
BHPian

Hi, I will be getting my Figo on Monday/Tuesday. I did the PDI today. The car is having Goodyear tyres. Looking at the opinions here, I think it is least preferable among three OEM suppliers. Also, it seems to be quite noisy. Now I am thinking of upgrade to better tyres. I don't intend to upsize but I am looking for low noise tyres which should also withstand the sudden potholes taken at 50/60. It happens with me all the time. Which among Michelin/BS/Yokos is good for this?

Also, I enquired for buyback of these goodyears and replacing these with XM1+ or ER60. I am getting quotes as below.
Goodyear buyback 3000 per tyre
XM1+ 4300
ER60 4200

Don't have quotes for Yokos. Will Yokohama A drives work out much cheaper than these?
Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

Hi all i am taking the delivery of the car on the 11th, the car has a set of MRF. i have enquired about the tyres. and zeroed on the Conti Premium Contacts. the size that i am going for is 195/60/14

the tyre would cost me 4600 per tyre.
The buy back of the figo tyres would be 12000.

any recomendations about the tyres would more than welcome.

i have personally been using Appolo Aceleres for many years now. and quite like them. would it be better to opt for the same?
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

@dd: Seems like you are ready to shift your loyalties, IIRC you were planning for Appolos only.

And what about the alloys?
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:51   #81
Senior - BHPian

NO alloys rite now. cause with alloys i would like to get the 15 inchers. and bandhav i had not seen the conti's at that time hehehe
Old 8th March 2011, 11:27   #82
BHPian

How is the performance of the Yokohama A drives and the C drives. I am picking up a Figo and going for the 185/65 tyres.

Based on the research, i checked the options are

Bridgestone Potenza GIII
Yoko A drives
Michelin XM1+
Conti CEC 2

I wanted to go for the XM1+ but the feedback on Figo is that the ride on bad quality is quite bad. The Yoko A drives have supposedly a thin sidewall and Potenza G3 aren't so great anymore (Turanza is not available in this size)

Totally confused. Can some of the owners suggest which tyres. Moreover, would like to know how much of a price difference is there between the C drives and A drives and which one is better?
Old 13th March 2011, 17:14   #83
BHPian

My Figo came with Goodyear GT3. I did not want to upsize but looking at the opinions here decided to get better tyres. Hence chose Bridgestone ER60. Got a set of four. Buyback price Rs. 2900 per tyre. ER60 Rs. 4200 per tyre. The owner said, had I had MRF or Apollos (the other two OEMs) he could have given me upto Rs. 3300. I could not get the spare changed because he had only 4 ER60 available.
Now the performance. I primarily bought them to have less noise tyres. So far they have disappointed me. I have completed about 1000 kms on them in city and highways and don't think them to be silent. After 80 I get to hear a noticeable noise of tyres. On every rough patch on road the noise goes up. I was thinking of getting the spare changed but now I am having second thoughts.
Question for experts. Will it affect handling in 5 tyre rotation where 3 would be ER60 and fourth GT3? Just to add, the ER60 look fatter compared to GT3 even when the size is exactly same, (175/65R14).
Old 19th March 2011, 15:45   #84
BHPian

I have a simple and maybe a stupid question (I know very little about tyres).

I have gone through this thread trying to get a sense of which tyre is good for Figo. My understanding is that GT3, MRF's, Apollo (all stock tyres) are not up to the mark. Michelins, Yoko's and Continental seem to have the best comments. Most considerations have been around Grip, Braking, Noise and Comfort. However, being a novice in tyres, my question is - how bad is bad?

- Is it a risk driving a Figo using a GT3 or MRF in terms of braking?

- What about tyre performance on bad roads (gravel, broken stones and mud roads). Will the softer tyres (guessing better grip means softer) tear? I drive a lot in areas where there are no roads...

- What about tyre life?

Also a similar question on alloys. Aside from good looks,

- Will I see a difference in handling?
- Will I see a difference in mileage?
- What about replacement costs?

Thinking from a VFM perspective, will I ever recover the 15K I invest in a set of alloys?
Old 19th March 2011, 18:53   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
I have a simple and maybe a stupid question (I know very little about tyres).

I have gone through this thread trying to get a sense of which tyre is good for Figo. My understanding is that GT3, MRF's, Apollo (all stock tyres) are not up to the mark. Michelins, Yoko's and Continental seem to have the best comments. Most considerations have been around Grip, Braking, Noise and Comfort. However, being a novice in tyres, my question is - how bad is bad?

- What about tyre performance on bad roads (gravel, broken stones and mud roads). Will the softer tyres (guessing better grip means softer) tear? I drive a lot in areas where there are no roads...

- What about tyre life?

Thinking from a VFM perspective, will I ever recover the 15K I invest in a set of alloys?
I'm too know very little about tires, but will try to answer as per my knowledge.

I would suggest you a change in tires only if you really feel the need for it. It should be something that should be done out of necessity. While driving your Figo around have you ever come across scenarios where you wished your tires had more grip? Do you feel your tire noise at high speeds was beyond your comfort level? If not, why do you need to change them?

If you are a person who uses his car mostly in the city and is a person who do not push the car too much, then according to me the stock tires would suffice. No doubt the Michelins, yokos and conties are superior to the stock in terms of grip, ride quality etc, but they will have their disadvantages too apart from the premium pricing. You mentioned you travel through broken roads a lot, hence the softer the tire compound is (read Michelin), the ,more you are prone to tire bulging etc. So according to me if you are a person who uses the highway a lot then go for the better tires, else save that cash for something else.

Same goes for the alloys as well. Personally I'm a big fan of alloys in cars and will be getting my ride a set pretty soon as well. TO answer your questions:
- Will I see a difference in handling? --> Negligible
- Will I see a difference in mileage? --> Negligible
- What about replacement costs? --> Not sure here. Certain stores sell the alloys only as a set of 4/5. Getting a single piece should not be too tough for popular brands though.

Thinking from a VFM perspective, will I ever recover the 15K I invest in a set of alloys? --> NO. But you will love looking at your car more often, if you can count THAT as VFM

P.S: I don't think you recover any money you spend on your car, it goes in and out of the exhaust

Last edited by jayded : 19th March 2011 at 18:55.
jayded is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2011, 18:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

Read the answers in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post

No its not a risk. GT3, MRF are OK tyres and do averagely well under wet and dry braking.

Yes it can! Soft tyres will wear out faster. Driving on broken or no roads at 60-70Kmph can damage the sidewalls, bulges and can even develop cracks under such roads.

This is what can happen.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ll-bulges.html

- What about tyre life?

Harder tyres will last longer. read GT3, MRF will last longer than softer tyres.

NO
NO
Alloy wheels are more expensive to repair and replace. A stand steel rim costs only 1/4 of an alloy wheel.

That enterly depends on what you are looking for. On a figo I don't see the use of alloy wheels. But Your call will look a lot nicer with alloy wheels
Old 26th March 2011, 15:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

Why is no one coming up with a review of their upgraded tyres. Are all of you finally sticking to OEM??
Old 26th March 2011, 18:54   #88
BHPian

I've upgraded the tyres to Michelin XM1+ (185/65/R14) with alloys, the ride and handling is far better than the OE tyres. Though I should say I used the OE tyres for a mere 200 odd kms only.
Old 26th March 2011, 21:17   #89
BHPian

@Captain Slow/Jayded - Thanks for your replies. I finally got my White TDCi Titanium. Decided not to upgrade for now. My Figo came with MRF's. Car seems a little bouncy - need to check the air pressure. I don't think the Figo is as undertyred as the other small cars. The OEM's do not look too bad either.
Old 30th March 2011, 08:09   #90
Senior - BHPian

I have a genuine and serious doubt here.

What is the maximum Ground Clearance i can gain on my Figo TDCI without Compromising the suspension / steering setup. Would 195/60R15 be too much to ask for?

I dont mind loosing a little of the high speed turn handling capabilities neither would i mind a bit more comfort on bad roads. But my Priority is MAX GC without screwing up the suspension / steering (if at all they would).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks